Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

I played my 2 this evening for an hour. Going to the studio tomorrow, both of them are coming...

D658B44D-3471-42AB-AE66-9E08B4D20F2B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is that a completely unmodified 614, Andy? One of the earlier posts mentioned the EQ being a bit harsh and swapped out (I think) for an OBP3. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Is that a completely unmodified 614, Andy? One of the earlier posts mentioned the EQ being a bit harsh and swapped out (I think) for an OBP3. 

Totally unmodified...well, apart from the pickguard.

I had it set flat (as in basically a 414). Then pushed the bass a tiny way over centre for a more chilled track, and then on the funkier/faster track with slap pushed the treble a tiny bit.

sounds great on a rough mix etc.

Edited by AndyTravis

414 was used for the scratch bass in the guiding - but since I changed the bridge from schaller to Wilkinson I haven’t had chance to do a proper setup and it was a bit buzzy on a higher run. 

Rather than whip out the tool kit I just deferred to the 614.

38AF4AE5-0ECF-4AE1-AFDB-6B364D82237E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Nice and spanky!

New d’addario’s too 😂

there’s a lot more bottom end on the recording, the phone picked up a lot more of the “clack” in the room.

Just now, AndyTravis said:

New d’addario’s too 😂

there’s a lot more bottom end on the recording, the phone picked up a lot more of the “clack” in the room.

Indeed. And a lot more of the click, too!

• Haha 1

Actually, in that video the bass could easily be mistaken for a BB734a in coffee burst.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Actually, in that video the bass could easily be mistaken for a BB734a in coffee burst.

Aye, looks better though 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Aye, looks better though 😉

Heresy!

• Haha 1

On 07/06/2019 at 22:47, AndyTravis said:

I played my 2 this evening for an hour. Going to the studio tomorrow, both of them are coming...

Man, I can't get over this pic. Two absolutely beauties indeed !!!!  How can someone like a Precision after this? 🙂 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2019 at 21:47, AndyTravis said:

Where'd you get that white pickguard, I've been looking for one for my black 414?

37 minutes ago, pedrovian said:

Where'd you get that white pickguard, I've been looking for one for my black 414?

Pretty sure it’s a 3rd party custom job.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pedrovian said:

Had it made 😉

A heads up to BB735a owners and possibly other 5 stringers in the new model range - The low B string in a set of Dunlop Flats will not fit through the bridge as the ball end of the string is too chunky. I was unable to feed the last inch or so of the ball end through the bridge hole. I considered shaving off the silks but it wouldn’t have made much difference as it seems like the construction of the string is the issue.

The E, A, D and G strings were fine FYI. 4 string players won’t have this problem.

I have Dunlop flats on my BB735A and didn't have this problem. I'm away right now without the bass, but I can have a closer look later in the week.

35 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I have Dunlop flats on my BB735A and didn't have this problem. I'm away right now without the bass, but I can have a closer look later in the week.

Hmm. Ok that would be good. At least this tells me it’s an isolated issue. 

30 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Hmm. Ok that would be good. At least this tells me it’s an isolated issue. 

A friend of mine uses them on his P34, not sure if the bridge design is the same. Does it work through the body?

I think there's only one gauge available - mine are 45-125.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, therealting said:

A friend of mine uses them on his P34, not sure if the bridge design is the same. Does it work through the body?

The EAD&G stings didn’t have the problem, so a P34 would be fine with my set. Attempting to go through the body felt like I was going to snap the strings to get a proper break angle over the saddles.

Edited by CameronJ
Corrected myself
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Attempting to go through the bridge felt like I was going to snap the strings to get a proper break angle over the saddles.

Can you go in with the string straight - under the saddle. Then manoeuvre the string to be on top of the saddle once it's in.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Can you go in with the string straight - under the saddle. Then manoeuvre the string to be on top of the saddle once it's in.

Ah, sorry, I meant to say that attempting to go through the body felt like I was going to snap the string. Now edited.

Edited by CameronJ