Jump to content
Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Recommended Posts

I played my 2 this evening for an hour. Going to the studio tomorrow, both of them are coming...

D658B44D-3471-42AB-AE66-9E08B4D20F2B.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that a completely unmodified 614, Andy? One of the earlier posts mentioned the EQ being a bit harsh and swapped out (I think) for an OBP3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Is that a completely unmodified 614, Andy? One of the earlier posts mentioned the EQ being a bit harsh and swapped out (I think) for an OBP3. 

Totally unmodified...well, apart from the pickguard.

I had it set flat (as in basically a 414). Then pushed the bass a tiny way over centre for a more chilled track, and then on the funkier/faster track with slap pushed the treble a tiny bit.

sounds great on a rough mix etc.

Edited by AndyTravis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

414 was used for the scratch bass in the guiding - but since I changed the bridge from schaller to Wilkinson I haven’t had chance to do a proper setup and it was a bit buzzy on a higher run. 

Rather than whip out the tool kit I just deferred to the 614.

38AF4AE5-0ECF-4AE1-AFDB-6B364D82237E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Nice and spanky!

New d’addario’s too 😂

there’s a lot more bottom end on the recording, the phone picked up a lot more of the “clack” in the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AndyTravis said:

New d’addario’s too 😂

there’s a lot more bottom end on the recording, the phone picked up a lot more of the “clack” in the room.

Indeed. And a lot more of the click, too!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, in that video the bass could easily be mistaken for a BB734a in coffee burst.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Actually, in that video the bass could easily be mistaken for a BB734a in coffee burst.

Aye, looks better though 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Aye, looks better though 😉

Heresy!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/06/2019 at 22:47, AndyTravis said:

I played my 2 this evening for an hour. Going to the studio tomorrow, both of them are coming...

D658B44D-3471-42AB-AE66-9E08B4D20F2B.jpeg

Man, I can't get over this pic. Two absolutely beauties indeed !!!!  How can someone like a Precision after this? 🙂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/06/2019 at 21:47, AndyTravis said:

I played my 2 this evening for an hour. Going to the studio tomorrow, both of them are coming...

D658B44D-3471-42AB-AE66-9E08B4D20F2B.jpeg

Where'd you get that white pickguard, I've been looking for one for my black 414?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, pedrovian said:

Where'd you get that white pickguard, I've been looking for one for my black 414?

Pretty sure it’s a 3rd party custom job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, pedrovian said:

Where'd you get that white pickguard, I've been looking for one for my black 414?

Had it made 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A heads up to BB735a owners and possibly other 5 stringers in the new model range - The low B string in a set of Dunlop Flats will not fit through the bridge as the ball end of the string is too chunky. I was unable to feed the last inch or so of the ball end through the bridge hole. I considered shaving off the silks but it wouldn’t have made much difference as it seems like the construction of the string is the issue.

The E, A, D and G strings were fine FYI. 4 string players won’t have this problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Dunlop flats on my BB735A and didn't have this problem. I'm away right now without the bass, but I can have a closer look later in the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I have Dunlop flats on my BB735A and didn't have this problem. I'm away right now without the bass, but I can have a closer look later in the week.

Hmm. Ok that would be good. At least this tells me it’s an isolated issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Hmm. Ok that would be good. At least this tells me it’s an isolated issue. 

A friend of mine uses them on his P34, not sure if the bridge design is the same. Does it work through the body?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there's only one gauge available - mine are 45-125.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, therealting said:

A friend of mine uses them on his P34, not sure if the bridge design is the same. Does it work through the body?

The EAD&G stings didn’t have the problem, so a P34 would be fine with my set. Attempting to go through the body felt like I was going to snap the strings to get a proper break angle over the saddles.

Edited by CameronJ
Corrected myself
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Attempting to go through the bridge felt like I was going to snap the strings to get a proper break angle over the saddles.

Can you go in with the string straight - under the saddle. Then manoeuvre the string to be on top of the saddle once it's in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Can you go in with the string straight - under the saddle. Then manoeuvre the string to be on top of the saddle once it's in.

Ah, sorry, I meant to say that attempting to go through the body felt like I was going to snap the string. Now edited.

Edited by CameronJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...