Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Posted (edited)

So we've got to the 2000th post on this thread! 🥂 🍺🍸🍹🍻

I.R.A. / Initial Response Acceleration

Much vaunted and Yamaha charge a lot of money for doing it, but does it actually do anything? Here's what Yammy have to say about it:

"If you've ever played another guitarist's instrument and not been able to get the same sound, it's probably because you are playing a different style than what the guitar is used to. After playing the same guitar for years, the guitar adapts to the guitarist's playing style. It takes time for a new guitar to adapt to your own way of playing. Stress found between parts like finish, woods, body, neck, fingerboard, nut, bridge, etc., must be released before all of the parts can resonate together as an instrument. It takes time and a lot of playing for this to happen. Using IRA technology, stresses like those between the finish and wood are release by applying specific vibrations to the completed guitars. Once this treatment is complete, the guitar responds accurately to the guitarist's performance, and produces sound more easily. It also shortens the time needed for the guitar to adapt to your playing style. And it delivers excellent sustain."

image.png.bbfacdd257ecc3c9383aa774040dd39b.png

I'm loving my P35 and kinda can't explain why I prefer it to my otherwise excellent previous 735A,  'cos they have so much in common e.g. woods, pups etc. Maybe I.R.A. does do something after all?

Edited by Al Krow

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I like Big Butts and I cannot lie...

Haha - the Yammy Big Butt or "BB" to its lovers.

Broad Bass just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? 😁

Ok people... I couldn’t resist. I have to say the neck on this 1100s is gorgeous, I can’t believe anyone would sell it.  Just restrung with some roundwounds, nothing special, I’m thinking about some flats. Got some lovely bottom end and nice and bright too when needed. Not bad for a 30 yr old!! 

9CA851C9-A77F-4B0B-9777-2D6A3CC20482.jpeg

70D71993-A886-42C2-ADBA-1AABD41233FC.jpeg

90C65633-1BA1-458F-A3C1-1427C7099623.jpeg

• Like 4

She's a complete looker Paul! Congrats mate.

• Thanks 1

I’m chasing a 1600. Hoping I pull it off as it completely covers every BB need.

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

...it completely covers every BB need.

Yeah, right.

😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

My 3000 was of that colour. It was one of the last 40 ever built ones. Def.  a fault to sell it !!!!!!!! I put an active Glockenklang in. Still have the rog. electronics somewhere. Silly thing to do !!!!!

One of the 5 basses I should have better kept. But I only sold instruments when I was in need for cash. As a musician, this happend sadly ofen to me....

Edited by gobasserk

Yeah - there's a great irony that it is often the musicians most deserving of great equipment and who would be able to get the most out of their gear who are often least able to afford it and vice versa.

Big shout out to BTN music who delivered my back plate today. Really helpful via email on some other bits too.

Seems like they’re some of the good guys and have access to the Yamaha spares bin.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I.R.A. / Initial Response Acceleration

I think it's probably cow poop.  All that those spectrograms show is better sustain above 10kHz ... I can't even hear 10kHz these days.  Plus they only show the first 30ms.  The indication is that the attack might be a bit clearer ( like pulling out the "pick attack" knob on a Wal ).

...and if basses "play in" to a player's style ... whose style are they playing your new bass into before you get it?

Edited by NickA
ha ha: it auto changed BS into cow poop!

Meh, I suppose two messages and an offer would be too much to get a response from eBay seller of the bb1600.

Shame. 

It will have to wait now.

6 minutes ago, Allaboutthebass said:

He cancelled my bid on it, and has withdrawn it! Selfish sod.

Was your bid £295? I offered £295 and either collection or arrangement of a courier. 

I’m assuming he’s sold it or we’ll see it re-listed at about £500...

He sat on my offer for 24 hours and didn’t respond to my messages so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yep, I offered £295 and was watching the clock tick down (was a way to go). I hate it when they just take it off! :whoopass:

14 minutes ago, Allaboutthebass said:

Yep, I offered £295 and was watching the clock tick down (was a way to go). I hate it when they just take it off! :whoopass:

D’oh.

oh well. If I lost out...glad you did too 😂😉

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Big shout out to BTN music who delivered my back plate today. Really helpful via email on some other bits too.

Seems like they’re some of the good guys and have access to the Yamaha spares bin.

Any chance I could have their email address or website please ?

Cheers

Edited by whamni

Just home from band rehearsal with the BB3000MA. Man that bass is the holy grale for me! :-)))))))))))))