Jump to content

The Yamaha BB mega-thread


Al Krow

Recommended Posts

I picked up a 2017 434 a few weeks back; I hadn't posted up as I am a bit underwhelmed tbh, the barely finished neck doesn't feel that nice and the frets have a bit of sprout or were badly finished especially on the lower edge, and it has clearly not been played much; all the Squiers I have had have generally been better finished. it'll make a decent modding platform perhaps, we'll see

 

mind I'm not buying 1024x pickups at that price 😲

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

I picked up a 2017 434 a few weeks back; I hadn't posted up as I am a bit underwhelmed tbh, the barely finished neck doesn't feel that nice and the frets have a bit of sprout or were badly finished especially on the lower edge, and it has clearly not been played much; all the Squiers I have had have generally been better finished. it'll make a decent modding platform perhaps, we'll see

 

mind I'm not buying 1024x pickups at that price 😲

If they were £180 I would’ve done a foolish thing

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've decided that once the set of Rotosound Swing Bass on my 424 needs changing I'll be going back to GHS Boomers. The Swing Bass are great strings, with bags of tonal variety .... much of which doesnt suit the simple character of this bass at all. It seems to want a nice rich middle of the road tone. Anything trebly or bassy just seems to drop away alarmingly, and playing is one long struggle to keep a nice even line so that doesnt happen. No fun. (Bridge pickup with tone on 0% sounds sexy though)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, acroxixo said:

Yesterday was the first gig of the year. 
The BB1025 was fantastic 😆

Here is a phone video from the gig. 
The bass sound was DI from the Bergantino to front of house. 
Use 🎧

 

It’s not the sort of music I would normally listen to but that’s superb acro, love it ☝️

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I took the chance to visit a big store (Musicstore) again this week. I need a lightweight but powerfull cab because due to Corona a lot of bands are history and I started checkig out projects. I don't want to carry my 37kg bass cab every time.  I liked the Hartke HD500 combo. It's really loud and sounds very good but I went the combo way before and I like it analog and oldschool. 🙂 I tested all the cabs with a BB 234 (!) it was the only BB with fresh strings in the shop. Went back in the shop the next day with my own BB to be sure... and I ordered a Glockenklang Uno Rock Art light. A 15" cab that is a stand alone cab. I love the warmth of a good 15" and this cab with the Glockenklang wide angle dome tweeter sounds awesome! 
Actually, I was impressed by the BB234. It sounded very good for a low budget bass ! 

Edited by gobasserk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since my G&L has gone seriously AWOL on its journey from the US, I'm letting myself daydream about what I would fritter the money on if it never reappeared.

So ... a white 1024, obviously ... and then a MIJ 300 in nice nick as well ... 43mm nut, no bridge pickup, reverse split pickup, metallic red - four solid differences to justify having both, yes? Mmm, yes.

A more sensible daydream would be a used BBP34, but what's the point of daydreaming if you're just going to be sensible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

The majority of the photos on a google search for the VI have the split reversed. And look rather more tatty than that one. Searching BC found someone calling it "Like an earlier/posher BB300"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The majority of the photos on a google search for the VI have the split reversed. And look rather more tatty than that one. Searching BC found someone calling it "Like an earlier/posher BB300"

It’s also cheaper direct

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Searching BC found someone calling it "Like an earlier/posher BB300"

I also found that @hypercarrots had one, and also mentions its similarity to a 300.

Theres also a couple of mentions of the VIs, shorter than 34" scale.

And that appears to be the sum total of info on BC about them. Five years ago someone was selling one on TB, saying "These were originally made for the Japanese market. They're super rare outside of Japan. Actually got mine direct from Japan."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/05/2021 at 12:26, Ricky Rioli said:

Since my G&L has gone seriously AWOL on its journey from the US, I'm letting myself daydream about what I would fritter the money on if it never reappeared.

So ... a white 1024, obviously ... and then a MIJ 300 in nice nick as well ... 43mm nut, no bridge pickup, reverse split pickup, metallic red - four solid differences to justify having both, yes? Mmm, yes.

A more sensible daydream would be a used BBP34, but what's the point of daydreaming if you're just going to be sensible?

But what I want to know is why a P34 is a more sensible daydream than a 1024?! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But what I want to know is why a P34 is a more sensible daydream than a 1024?! 

For me the P34 is simply a sensible bass. Sensible colour choices (all 2 of them). Bit too sensible for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just been watching multiple crummy videos of BB300 and BB-VI.

I concluded that they make a loose, throaty tone relative to the more tightly focussed purr of, say, the 2024 on neck only.

And then I looked at my words and remembered the adage about writing about music being like dancing about architecture. 

At any rate, the VI sounds like it would be an upgrade on whatever kind of P bass you could get for £600.

But if I had a P shaped bass, all I would want to do with it would be give it a Di Marzio, and pretend it was an Ibanez Blazer. And that doesn't need £600.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah think it’s racing blue:.:

Edit @Ricky Rioli here’s the catalogue

14B1443B-5A97-4438-A7D0-CFADC130224F.jpeg

The other one looks interesting, not seen that before,  double Ps on a BB, anyone come across one of those? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...