Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

6 hours ago, krispn said:

What price is the bb2005?

On at £1,200. Suspect will take a decent offer. 

25 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

On at £1,200. Suspect will take a decent offer. 

PS there is a BB 2004 in the FS on for almost half that price and looks to be in mint condition. 

19 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Modded 415wr.

wouldnt bother personally. Depends what the preamp is.

The preamp looks like an East U retro/uni pre. Great bass,, and John's preamps bring any bass to another level, even set flat! At £219 that's a steal as the preamp alone is nigh on £200

• Like 1

On 01/03/2020 at 11:46, AndyTravis said:

Yeah.

So, the plan is get a 424x, strip the body. 

Fill bridge pickup rout.

Rout for MM pickup. Get a nice 2 band eq and a lovely vintage MM sounding pickup.

silver flake body, White Pearl pickguard.

Green LEDS. (Well, maybe not...but y’know)

So get a cheap 414! A duncan pickup, And do it! Would a sterling pickguard work with the 414 neck they arn't a million miles away. I've a sterling pickguard I can donate to the cause (it's a funky green pearl) 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, lee650 said:

The preamp looks like an East U retro/uni pre. Great bass,, and John's preamps bring any bass to another level, even set flat! At £219 that's a steal as the preamp alone is nigh on £200

Am I right in thinking that the 415 and 425 share the same pups? If that's the case they're already Tyson Fury punch capable and combine with a East preamp and you're right, that's going to be one helluva beast and he's already replaced the tuners with lighter weight ones. Kentish Town N London if anyone's interested in checking it out.

Edited by Al Krow

On 01/03/2020 at 11:46, AndyTravis said:

Yeah.

So, the plan is get a 424x, strip the body. 

Fill bridge pickup rout.

Rout for MM pickup. Get a nice 2 band eq and a lovely vintage MM sounding pickup.

silver flake body, White Pearl pickguard.

Green LEDS. (Well, maybe not...but y’know)

For stinky poos and giggles! Not quite,but fits the neck perfectly 😂 maybe a slightly longer custom version. It would be an interesting project.

20200303_195348.jpg

• Like 1

Do you know what, that actually could look really good! 

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Do you know what, that actually could look really good! 

I know! A little tidying of the back end, or a slight extension on the pickguard 😁

Posted (edited)
On 03/03/2020 at 20:18, lee650 said:

I know! A little tidying of the back end, or a slight extension on the pickguard 😁

lee650 ....This is what you really want 

My MusicMan.jpg

Edited by whamni
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

OMG, that's a complete bargain. 

@bassfan

@Frank Blank

is this in your parish? 

It’s a long way from me, north or Norwich. If someone can get it to me Saturday I’m going up to Manchester area on Sunday and I’d gladly take it up. 

13 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Thanks!

I have a chance to pick up a BB434 for a good price. I've wanted a passive PJ bass with J style neck for ages and this looks like it fits the bill. 

8 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

Thanks!

I have a chance to pick up a BB434 for a good price. I've wanted a passive PJ bass with J style neck for ages and this looks like it fits the bill. 

Excellent! And if @jrixn1 still has a picture of his 434 with a tort PG he can show you just how great these can also look! 

2 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

For a Precision type sound, how well does the BB do? 

I made those video comparisons. Many people seem to prefer the p bass on just the p pickup sound, even the people in this thread which surprised me a little. It seems most folks prefer the BB with both pickups on instead as the ”go to” BB sound.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

I've not tried the BB434, but the BB414 and BB424 don't quite nail that Precision tone for me. I imagine that with it's regular sized pickups, with a set of Fender '62 pickups in it, a BB434 would sound very close

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MoJo said:

I've not tried the BB434, but the BB414 and BB424 don't quite nail that Precision tone for me. I imagine that with it's regular sized pickups, with a set of Fender '62 pickups in it, a BB434 would sound very close

The potential trade off is of course that the sound with both pickups on will be different then, as well. Someone should try!

On 05/03/2020 at 14:07, ClassicVibes said:

I'm not sure I could get my Yammy 1025 to sound like this:

I'm not sure it is, their BB735A is over £1K!

Maybe prices are shooting up as they replace the stock, some colours are much cheaper than others. Just as well they offer a price match!

But the black or teal version is only £479. Agree though, it’s probably a random figure as they will match other stores, and don’t have one anyway.