Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

If anyone is interested in a comparison between the BBP34 and a P bass (American Original) I made this since I could not find any comparisons of the two:

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Vanheusen77 said:

If anyone is interested in a comparison between the BBP34 and a P bass (American Original) I made this since I could not find any comparisons of the two:

Cool. ill have a listen later. Ive done my own between my P34 and Fender Sandblasted P, and feel the Fender has a more woody, 'Fender' tone, whereas the P34 has a slightly more scooped tone. Its more obvious as i play with a pick.

I prefer a real P when it comes to the solo'd front pickup, the mids have more character. But no Fender on Earth can touch the P+J setting on the BB!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I prefer a real P when it comes to the solo'd front pickup, the mids have more character. But no Fender on Earth can touch the P+J setting on the BB!

But what about Fender body clones? Sandberg VM, Sadowsky NYC PJ, Lakland...?

I obviously haven't tried them all, but most PJ's are all pretty similar in terms of sound, using traditional alnico pickups in largely the same positions. I tried every single PJ available in Wunjos at one time and found a surprising variation in tone, but nothing with the grunt of the BB.  There's something about the output and positioning of the BB pickups that makes the combination work - having a stupidly loud J pickup probably helps!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Absolutely - the very first thing I noticed about the yummy yammy

4 hours ago, Vanheusen77 said:

Thanks a lot! The video I was looking for!
It should be interesting make a comparison between the two with the tone at 0, I'd love to hear the difference.
Anyway, how about the build quality? Which one is "better"? 

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I prefer a real P when it comes to the solo'd front pickup, the mids have more character. 

Based on that clip, I have to agree, the Fender P edges it on solo P setting!

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

But no Fender on Earth can touch the P+J setting on the BB!

Fender seem to have shied away from the PJ configuration for much of their range, certainly for 5 strings, so harder to do a like for like comparison.

But P+J does work really well on the Yammys and is also my default for playing in any band mix.

18 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

It should be interesting make a comparison between the two with the tone at 0, I'd love to hear the difference.

This is the other area where Yammys excel. Dialling the tone off gives a vintage tone that I've not heard matched on other basses and the tone control provides a lot of tonal variety.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

Thanks a lot! The video I was looking for!
Anyway, how about the build quality? Which one is "better"? 

Thanks! I will see if I get the time to do another comparison another time with the tone controls at zero. Regarding build quality it is really hard to compare them since the P bass is made to 60's specs and the Yamaha is the complete opposite with a lot of modern improvements such as spline joint and laminated neck etc. I would say that the Yamaha is the more indestructible one and the one least likely to break on tour, but both are very high quality and durable. The Yamaha was definitely set up better for sure, and having the truss rod accessible without removing the neck sure is a nice modern feature!

• Like 2

Hi! I made another one with more pickup and tone settings, plus pick and slap at the end. I got several requests for quicker bouncing back and forth between the two, and also lowered the backing drum track.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Vanheusen77 said:

Hi! I made another one with more pickup and tone settings, plus pick and slap at the end. I got several requests for quicker bouncing back and forth between the two, and also lowered the backing drum track.

It's all down to psychology now  

13 minutes ago, whamni said:

It's all down to psychology now  

Thanks for that - really good

Without wishing to be a pedant....

Same string types and ages?

Same body and neck and fingerboard material?

Output and type of windings/magnets/pole pieces on the pick ups?

Cap values on the time pot and vintage/modern/linear etc.

Thanks

Hi! Since these are relatively new models the specs are available on the manufacturer websites:

BBP34: https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_basses/bb_2017/specs.html

Am Orig 60s P Bass: https://shop.fender.com/en-SE/electric-basses/american-original-60s-precision-bass/0190120800.html

The strings are medium aged Ernie Ball Slinky 45-105. Although it perhaps would have been more scientific to have brand new strings on both, I chose to do the comparison using "broken in" but not too old strings because that is the state where the strings sound their best I think, as well as the condition most strings out there are in. Both sets are about the same age and condition though.

• Like 1

Haha Andy - they say that reprise is a dish best served cold, but that must be a record for a slow motion conversation if you've just commented on a bit of banter from 5 months back! 😁

There are a couple of cracking Yammy deals in the FS. I'm really tempted by that red TRB 1005 in the FS. £450 with a bridge upgrade looks like great value as an active counterpart to my BB 1025 and Mick's BBN4 for an unlocked phone or £120 really does put the black back into Friday!

On 25/06/2019 at 00:48, AndyTravis said:

The attitude standard is winning...think it’s beating the 414...🤨

50DC81F7-373D-4F0D-A686-00DB7B769C0D.jpeg

Aha, you were responding to Mojo's comments on this. The cobwebs are clearing and it's all starting to make sense now! 😀

Edited by Al Krow

Out of interest, was it the body shape or tone (or both) of the 414 that you prefer over the Attitudes?

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Out of interest, was it the body shape or tone (or both) of the 414 that you prefer over the Attitudes?

Think body shape.

The attitudes (particularly the black one) sounded brilliant.

Anyhow, the Modulus is one sound, Jazz another and if I want a bit of both, the bb.A58F583F-C28C-40DC-86B1-3EE737DF52C8.thumb.jpeg.0417313817c4038e1f35b87f55bb29ee.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi all. Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Repair and Technical section but thought this might be better. Does the collective BB hive mind know for sure what wrench size is suitable for the truss rods in later Yamaha BB basses? Whenever I've adjusted my 424 or 1025 I've reached for a hex wrench suggested by the Yamaha website which has always been the wrong size. Do we know what the correct size is? Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, AdrianP said:

Hi all. Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Repair and Technical section but thought this might be better. Does the collective BB hive mind know for sure what wrench size is suitable for the truss rods in later Yamaha BB basses? Whenever I've adjusted my 424 or 1025 I've reached for a hex wrench suggested by the Yamaha website which has always been the wrong size. Do we know what the correct size is? Thanks. 

Im not sure what size i use, but ive found it can sometimes be hit or miss with my P34, and thats using the supplied one. Seems to be something a bit different with the Yamaha TR nut IMO.

Sometimes the wrench will spin round, but other times it grips fine. The TR itself is fine though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdrianP said:

Try a 5mm, but whatever you do, make sure it's a snug fit

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, whamni said:

Try a 5mm, but whatever you do, make sure it's a snug fit

Indeed, that's what the Yamaha website suggests. I've just never managed to get it to fit properly. Actually,  one of the imperial sized wrenches seems to fit most snuggly,  which cannot be right. I'm fortunate in that, with the strings slackened off, the truss rod moves really smoothly in either direction so, hopefully, minimising the risk of any damage. But I will certainly be careful to get a snug fit. 

Edited by AdrianP