Jump to content
Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Recommended Posts

On 22/08/2019 at 10:37, Sibob said:

Will do, i’ll take it off later and have a measure......the bass that is.

Si

F61865E6-8760-457C-AFEB-DCCB4BFAB68B.thumb.jpeg.ce7efcc8b24ab1429a3d0769b2a1d5f9.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd question:  I tend to sweat a lot so that with glossy bodies the forearm attaches to the body; a satin body could be better in this sense? Which ones do you prefer? Pros & Cons
I'm temped to take the satin black bb735a, but I'm also concern about its "longevity" vs a glossy finish

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

Odd question:  I tend to sweat a lot so that with glossy bodies the forearm attaches to the body; a satin body could be better in this sense? Which ones do you prefer? Pros & Cons
I'm temped to take the satin black bb735a, but I'm also concern about its "longevity" vs a glossy finish

Thanks

A satin finish will always be prone to more visible wear than a gloss finish. But on a practicality level, if gloss finishes are uncomfortable for you when playing then the decision is surely a no-brainer? Go for the satin black BB735a.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add some info, matte finishes tend to wear in a way which slowly turns them glossy over time. This can actually end up looking pretty nice IMO with the edges and contours of the body developing a nice sheen while the flat surfaces retain more or their original matte look. Personally I really like the effect but I’m sure it isn’t for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

Odd question:  I tend to sweat a lot so that with glossy bodies the forearm attaches to the body; a satin body could be better in this sense? Which ones do you prefer? Pros & Cons
I'm temped to take the satin black bb735a, but I'm also concern about its "longevity" vs a glossy finish

Thanks

You have a 734 in your sig?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

A satin finish will always be prone to more visible wear than a gloss finish. But on a practicality level, if gloss finishes are uncomfortable for you when playing then the decision is surely a no-brainer? Go for the satin black BB735a.

Thanks for the reply
 

I'm "sick" about cleaning things, especially reflective surfaces (I pass a cloth over the phone every time I use it, I know it's very worrying) so seeing even the fingerprints makes me nervous. 

I am also doubtful about the passage from 4 to 5 strings; I'd really like to have the fifth string, especially because I'm just starting out and therefore relatively fresh in everything concerning the bass, but I'm afraid that it's even more difficult as a self-taught person (all books and videos are related to the 4 strings)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Corto14 said:

Thanks for the reply
 

I'm "sick" about cleaning things, especially reflective surfaces (I pass a cloth over the phone every time I use it, I know it's very worrying) so seeing even the fingerprints makes me nervous. 

I am also doubtful about the passage from 4 to 5 strings; I'd really like to have the fifth string, especially because I'm just starting out and therefore relatively fresh in everything concerning the bass, but I'm afraid that it's even more difficult as a self-taught person (all books and videos are related to the 4 strings)

I’d get a white gloss finish. Very forgiving, and I’m not just saying that because I have one for sale! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

You have a 734 in your sig?

Yes, and I like a lot but as I said above, I'm tempted by the five strings
I don't want to have 2 basses around (for now) so I need to choose.

I've found a good deal on a satin black 735a (670€ new, when the standard price are usually around 750€), so here I am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t make any promises re: the transition from 4 to 5 strings - I willingly made the switch because a lot of the music I listen to requires more range than a 4 string offers. It also just so happens that my hands “fit” a 5 string neck better than a 4 string neck anyway. Most books are indeed geared toward a 4 string neck but they can still be applied to a 5 string fingerboard - as with anything, practice makes perfect! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

Yes, and I like a lot but as I said above, I'm tempted by the five strings
I don't want to have 2 basses around (for now) so I need to choose.

I've found a good deal on a satin black 735a (670€ new, when the standard price are usually around 750€), so here I am

Cool. I was just wondering about your question regarding the satin finish, seeing you already own that finish.

I will say that I find the satin neck on my P34 to be quite sticky compared to my glossed backed Fender necks. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I will say that I find the satin neck on my P34 to be quite sticky compared to my glossed backed Fender necks. 

Rub your neck with the rough green side of a washing up scourer, it'll remove whatever is making it sticky, and won't do any damage to the neck, just don't rub too hard. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cool. I was just wondering about your question regarding the satin finish, seeing you already own that finish.

I will say that I find the satin neck on my P34 to be quite sticky compared to my glossed backed Fender necks. 

I was referring to the body of the bass, not the neck with is FANTASTIC and I absolute love it. For me the satin neck is much more playable than the glossy counterpart, especially during the summer;  sultry weather plus sweat is deadly during my practice time 😒

Edited by Corto14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corto14 said:

Thanks for the reply
 

I'm "sick" about cleaning things, especially reflective surfaces (I pass a cloth over the phone every time I use it, I know it's very worrying) so seeing even the fingerprints makes me nervous. 

I am also doubtful about the passage from 4 to 5 strings; I'd really like to have the fifth string, especially because I'm just starting out and therefore relatively fresh in everything concerning the bass, but I'm afraid that it's even more difficult as a self-taught person (all books and videos are related to the 4 strings)

Most players are self taught, I wouldn't worry. I made the transition pretty easily from a 4 string Precision to a Yamaha BB415. The neck was a similar size which helped, I found most other 5 string basses too wide!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

I was referring to the body of the bass, not the neck with is FANTASTIC and I absolute love it. For me the satin neck is much more playable than the glossy counterpart, especially during the summer;  sultry weather plus sweat is a deadly during my practice time 😒

Yeah I understood what you was saying. I was just pointing out that I find satin to be more sticky.

I do think the black 734/734 look fantastic. Much better than gloss finished basses. I used to have a TRBX505 in brown. Very similar  to the 734/735 although still not as nice.  

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Rub your neck with the rough green side of a washing up scourer, it'll remove whatever is making it sticky, and won't do any damage to the neck, just don't rub too hard. 😎

Cheers, I’ll give it a go. Its not that it’s too sticky, just not a smooth as my gloss necks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cheers, I’ll give it a go. Its not that it’s too sticky, just not a smooth as my gloss necks. 

It will be if you rub it enough. 😀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

It will be if you rub it enough. 😀

Oh, there goes the tone of the thread lol..........

 

 

....it’s normally something I would say so high five 🙌 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Or 0000 wire wool

I’m really not to fused at the moment, as I’m used to it and still thinking about moving it on at some point (not just yet though), so dont want to mess too much with it. 
In fact it plays just fine until i pick up a gloss necked bass, and then I notice the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scored a BBN5 for very little not long ago, in very good nick! Bought as a backup /practice bass, but it is fantastic, I really love this era of BB's. Planning to refinish in a teal/turquoise stain, make a cream jazz bass style scratchplate, and change the knobs for cream speed knobs. Thought I was going to change pickups, but they sound superb, pretty hot too! 

IMG_20190826_102821.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TRBboy - that is sweet!

Looking forward to a 'before and after' pic when you've put through your mods. You about to become the next BB AndyT? :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@TRBboy - that is sweet!

Looking forward to a 'before and after' pic when you've put through your mods. You about to become the next BB AndyT? :) 

Waiting for a cheap 424x to come up - need to follow up on an idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@TRBboy - that is sweet!

Looking forward to a 'before and after' pic when you've put through your mods. You about to become the next BB AndyT? :) 

All time dependant really Al, have a kitchen to finish, benches to make, various other DIY things which have to take priority at the moment! Not sure about the pickguard yet, think it'll be a PITA to make...  Maybe do the refinish and knobs first, then see how I feel about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey BB fans! I realise in advance that this is probably a bit of a dumb question, but.... The 434/435 have a split coil neck pickup; do they do a pretty good approximation of a F%@#$r Precision with the neck pickup soloed, or do they somehow quite different? Thanks

Also, I SOOOOOO wish they did the 435 with a maple board too! 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...