Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, moley6knipe said:

Beautiful bass, Al!

Cheers, and I'm taking your advice about getting it into 'broken in' BB 2025 shape: it's currently my #1 goto gigging bass :)

29 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Also, Happy 100 pages of fantastic BB knowledge and obsessing. 

Here's to the next 100 😁

:drinks:

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

On 08/08/2019 at 20:15, Baceface said:

Does anybody have any idea where those volume and tone knobs came from?
The stock ones on my BB614 (chrome with 2 rubber strips for grip) look and feel great but there's no indicator dot or line so I can't see where they are set. 
(I keep meaning to loosen them off and rotate them so that I can use the screw holes as position indicators but I'd prefer a new set.)
Looks like there's a Gotoh 201 on there too.

They were from a wholesaler that I found on the internet, I can't remember exactly who they were but as @AndyTravis said they're similar to the TRB ones & that was the look I wanted.

& You're absolutely right it's a Gotoh 201.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@Horizontalste just wondering whether you followed up on this earlier bit of banter and if you had any joy in negotiating the price down?

If so, I could be tempted to follow in your footsteps (and get my stock of BBs back up to a full Trav 😂)

Hi Al, I didn't in the end, purely based on the fact that I'd be buying it just to look at (much prefer 35’s these days).

As I said the price was a bit on the high side for me & I've embarked on another project that involves a Laklánd Skyline & some vinyl wrap! Watch this space!

A pair of Yamaha BB 1100s fretted and fretless both on at £250 starting prices:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-BB-1100-S-Bass-Guitar-1980/223618965836?hash=item3410baa14c:g:zOUAAOSwKe1dTujY

17 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Edited by Al Krow

The nicest BB 1100S I've seen 'in the flesh' is @bassfan's. Absolute stunner! I'm kinda glad that the early BBs are only 4 strings as that one, in particular, would have had me lusting!

Am I correct in thinking that the first 5 string BB was the BB 5000 / A? Or are there also 5 string versions of the BB 2000 and 3000 series? 

Edited by Al Krow

Oh hi there! BB415 in the house. Needs a solid setup, but it was £200 so that’s ok. Putting La Bella flats on it.

C16E0E32-B76D-4930-914F-D8926B9267FB.thumb.jpeg.36f951934fe1c84248ba7335122a8737.jpeg

I’d be interested in any advice on replacement (preferably direct) bridges and lightweight tuners, any thoughts?

Si

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Oh hi there! BB415 in the house.

I’d be interested in any advice on replacement (preferably direct) bridges and lightweight tuners, any thoughts?

Si

That does look nice Si! 

I've never really gone for orange before other than with this relic of a gadget that is still lurking in my drawer and is probably the same age as your 415!

image.png.f09d2e30415dbdf4519be0cae318d909.png

However orange does seem to work really well on Yammy BBs for some reason, and I can see why @AndyTravis is such a fan of them in that finish.

Do you have / have had other Yammy BBs?

Btw - does that mean you are officially now no longer trying to avoid any gear purchases in 2019? 😂

34 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Oh hi there! BB415 in the house. Needs a solid setup, but it was £200 so that’s ok. Putting La Bella flats on it.

C16E0E32-B76D-4930-914F-D8926B9267FB.thumb.jpeg.36f951934fe1c84248ba7335122a8737.jpeg

Si

Was this being sold by a young woman in Wales?

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Si

Hipshot Vintage will go straight on (18mm spacing) & suits the contours quite nicely!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MoJo said:

Was this being sold by a young woman in Wales?

No, from South London. Did see that one though, was collection only (3 hours from me), and it got a little strange over email....then the South London one came up :)

Si

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Do you have / have had other Yammy BBs?

Btw - does that mean you are officially now no longer trying to avoid any gear purchases in 2019? 😂

I’ve had a BB615 before, which was a cool bass, but I wasn’t keen on the preamp.

And the gear purchasing ship sailed back in June lol. I did 6months, so not bad :)

Si

On 31/07/2019 at 13:06, MoJo said:

I'm getting my BB425, that I foolishly sold, back on Saturday

Happy new-old bass day to me

Somehow completely missed this! What is it about the 425 that makes us get sellers regret as soon we have let the thing go? Have to confess exactly the same happened to me with my first BB 425, which is now being put to good use by @moley6knipe and my second which is being put to equally good use by @dave_bass5! I've managed to avoid getting a third 425 so far...

Pic?? :) 

8 hours ago, Sibob said:

I’ve had a BB615 before, which was a cool bass, but I wasn’t keen on the preamp.

Hmmm, you're not the first to comment on the 614/5 preamp being a bit meh (and an earlier post about 40 pages back(!) commented on how an Aggie OBP3 replacement transformed the bass). I'm guessing that Yammy must have upgraded the pre a fair bit with the successor 734A/5A model, as folk seem to be generally very happy indeed with the 3 series successor to the 614/5s.

8 hours ago, Sibob said:

And the gear purchasing ship sailed back in June lol. I did 6 months, so not bad :)

How did it feel to get off the "I'm not getting any more gear" wagon? Did you find a deep sense of relief and happiness, and colour returning to your pale and placid flesh? 😁

On 16/08/2019 at 07:58, Al Krow said:

Somehow completely missed this! What is it about the 425 that makes us get sellers regret as soon we have let the thing go? Have to confess exactly the same happened to me with my first BB 425, which is now being put to good use by @moley6knipe and my second which is being put to equally good use by @dave_bass5! I've managed to avoid getting a third 425 so far...

Pic ?? 😊

From Saturday’s dep gig

AE8556D4-00A3-46FC-B642-A68ACA5636F3.thumb.jpeg.f952ff772ea3f05d340153a6141cbf7a.jpeg