Left leaderboard
Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

24 minutes ago, ChrisJaxon said:

A black 425 which did not sell on fleabay and has been relisted. Astonished! https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/273994433728

Same as mine. I would have no hesitation taking just that to a gig. In fact i will at some point. Lovely bass to play, and with a bit more 'edge' than my P34.

35 minutes ago, ChrisJaxon said:

A black 425 which did not sell on fleabay and has been relisted. Astonished! https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/273994433728

My finger was hovering over the button.... Just not sure about those pickups, not sure if I'd rather spend a bit more and go for a 435

38 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

My finger was hovering over the button.... Just not sure about those pickups, not sure if I'd rather spend a bit more and go for a 435

Ive always hated the sliver surround that Yamaha used. Although only cosmetic Yamaha were a brand i wouldn't really consider when looking for new basses because of this (although i did have a TRBX which loos great).

Now i have one i cant say it bothers me, but i do prefer the more mainstream look of the newer basses.

41 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive always hated the sliver surround that Yamaha used. Although only cosmetic Yamaha were a brand i wouldn't really consider when looking for new basses because of this (although i did have a TRBX which loos great).

Now i have one i cant say it bothers me, but i do prefer the more mainstream look of the newer basses.

Yeah I do prefer the looks of the new ones, but it's more about the sound really. I had a BB414 a long time ago, and never really loved the sound. I think these ones are ceramic, and from the videos I've watched the new Alnico 5 ones sound better (to me - highly subjective! ) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Yeah I do prefer the looks of the new ones, but it's more about the sound really. I had a BB414 a long time ago, and never really loved the sound. I think these ones are ceramic, and from the videos I've watched the new Alnico 5 ones sound better (to me - highly subjective! ) 

Yeah, my 425 sounds a bit more aggressive compared to my P34. Aggression can easily be added but its a bit harder to take out IME.

Either works fine for me, and to be honest in the recordings ive got from rehearsal with both i cant tell what bass was used unless im playing the low B-D, but i can appreciate the smoother tone will work much better for some. 

If i was to sell my P34 id definitely be looking at a 435.

Blast, i want to get my 425 out now lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Are they THAT good? Have you tried a 435 by any chance as well? 

Yes, before the 735 I tried the 435 (just to see if I could save some bucks). But I felt something with the 735. The neck and the pick ups sounded a little more like the sound in my head. However, I also liked the 435. I wouldn't mind having it in case I need another 5 string bass

• Like 2

Guys, one question: How much do the batteries on your BB73X last?

I thought that if I used it in passive mode it didn't use battery. WRONG. I know that. And I used to leave my 735 plugged. So the battery lasted like 6 months. Then, I learned the things about active basses (do not leave it plugged, in passive mode it also affects the battery) and the battery lasted like 8 months. And it wasn't my main bass at the time so I didn't use it that much. I'm curious if there is something wrong with my unit.

23 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

I thought that if I used it in passive mode it didn't use battery. WRONG. I know that. And I used to leave my 735 plugged. So the battery lasted like 6 months. Then, I learned the things about active basses (do not leave it plugged, in passive mode it also affects the battery) and the battery lasted like 8 months. And it wasn't my main bass at the time so I didn't use it that much. I'm curious if there is something wrong with my unit.

Ah that's annoying! So if you remove the battery and switch to passive mode you don't get any output? 

Having said that, if you're not planning on making use of the active mode you might as well just get a 435...

32 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

in passive mode it also affects the battery

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So if you remove the battery and switch to passive mode you don't get any output?

I haven't seen a circuit diagram, but this doesn't sound  completely right...

Certainly my BB735A works as normal when I remove the battery (in passive mode of course). This would make me think that the battery is not in the passive circuit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although I suppose the bass working in passive mode without a battery doesn't necessarily mean the battery isn't worn down anyway when you are in passive mode and have a battery in there... (??)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Certainly my BB735A works as normal when I remove the battery (in passive mode of course). This would make me think that the battery is not in the passive circuit.

Yup, that would be my expectation from experience with all my other basses which have dual active / passive capability i.e operates just fine in passive without a battery present.

@javi_bassist maybe worth re-checking exactly what is the position with yours and / or if you are saying something different to the point that John and I are getting at?

Edited by Al Krow

Active basses usually use the input jack to activate the preamp (I. E. When the jack is plugged in, the battery circuit is made and the preamp activates), therefore whenever the cable is plugged in the battery will be draining, even in passive mode. At least you know passive mode works without a battery, so even if it does mid gig you can carry on playing in passive mode. Not all active preamps are like this, sometimes 'passive mode' isn't a true bypass of the preamp, and it won't work without a battery. 

• Like 3

Sorry, I explain myself really bad. I mean that, with a battery in it and in passive mode, I thought that the preamp wasn't using any battery power, and I was wrong. If I remove the battery, I can use it in passive mode without any problem. However, I prefer the active mode. But my concern is that it only lasts for about 8 months... Other players in my area with active basses (non Yamaha. They use Musicmans, Sadowsky, Sire...) claim that they don't change the battery in at least one year and a half or even two. That's why I think that my preamp might have something wrong

43 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

But my concern is that it only lasts for about 8 months... Other players in my area with active basses (non Yamaha. They use Musicmans, Sadowsky, Sire...) claim that they don't change the battery in at least one year and a half or even two. That's why I think that my preamp might have something wrong

The Musicmans, Sadowskys and Sires have different preamps to your Yamaha, so will have different power requirements. Comparing them isn’t all that useful. What batteries you using?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

So you were leaving the cable plugged into the jack most of the time when not playing? If so I think you were lucky to get more than one month!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 3

Ah, well spotted dB. Yup I think most of us leave our active basses unplugged when we're not playing them, and certainly over night, to maximise battery life. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Also you said you leave your bas

So you were leaving the cable plugged into the jack most of the time when not playing? If so I think you were lucky to get more than one month!

I think what he was getting at is he wasn't always unplugging it because he didn't realise, but even after he started unplugging it every time, he is only getting 8 months out of it. 

My 79' Musicman the batteries lasted years, the Sire 4 months, the Yamaha 734 since I started using Tesco own brand, they last forever, well a lot more than eight months.

My Sire bass has the original batteries in it, and I got it when they first came out.  I got in to the habit of always unplugging it when not actually playing it, even at gigs. As I use a wireless system it made it a bit easier as the lead would just hang from the strap.

On 04/09/2019 at 17:37, TRBboy said:

Still keep looking at 735's....  VERY tempted..... 

Wish there were used ones coming up for sale, but maybe that's testament to how good they are! 

Your wish seems to have been granted - in case you've not already seen, one just went up on the FS thread :)

• Like 1

On 07/09/2019 at 17:12, Al Krow said:

Your wish seems to have been granted - in case you've not already seen, one just went up on the FS thread :)

Thanks for the tip off! Sunburst unfortunately..... Not really a sunburst kinda guy..... 

10 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Thanks for the tip off! Sunburst unfortunately..... Not really a sunburst kinda guy..... 

Fair, you either love it or you don't! John is totally mad to be moving his 735A on anyway (I've already told him), particularly as he still loves it as a bass! 

Funnily enough I used to be a massive fan of 'burst. But I've now become an 'anything but' 'burst, overly civilised pups, 4 strings... 😀

• Like 1

Update on my case:

It's not that I always left it plugged. There were times when I took breaks and I left it plugged for one hour or two. But I'm doing another test so I'm being more careful now and I'm "counting" the days so I'll keep you posted haha.

Edited by javi_bassist
  • Like 1

Ref @Sibob 's woes on his trussrod maxing out, after a few PM discussions, he's sent it my way.  I've just added it to this thread if anyone is interested :)

• Like 1