Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 minute ago, Maude said:

But not as much as a 734a. I have both so obviously had to compare and you can get the full bass/mid/treble tone of the PH with the 734a controls at about three quarters full. It sounds different because it's not reverse P but the amount of bass/mid/treble is greater. 

But I prefer the PH as it feels more usable, the 734a is almost too extreme. It may be a placebo but the PH just sounds fantastic. 

Both have factory strings so probably the same. 

I'm with you on single ply pickguards as well, when I did the reverse P mod on my 424x I had to make a new pickguard, so single ply black it was. 

Yep spot on re the 734a.... I remember how intense 734a pre amp was... I could get the Hooky tone and sooo much more.

I'm with you about the BBPH... its almost...almost as good as the BB1200S... 

I must admit I've been treating the BBPH like a delicate flower... only using it in my studio... but f**k that its coming out on the road with me... these beauty's were built to be played and gigged etc...

I love the 424... I got one as a back up for  when I was feeling tooo precious about taking my vintage BB 1200s /1200...

Have you any pix of your 424 ...?

28 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Yep spot on re the 734a.... I remember how intense 734a pre amp was... I could get the Hooky tone and sooo much more.

I'm with you about the BBPH... its almost...almost as good as the BB1200S... 

I must admit I've been treating the BBPH like a delicate flower... only using it in my studio... but f**k that its coming out on the road with me... these beauty's were built to be played and gigged etc...

I love the 424... I got one as a back up for  when I was feeling tooo precious about taking my vintage BB 1200s /1200...

Have you any pix of your 424 ...?

I only ever play 734A in passive mode, the preamp just doesn’t work for me. And neither does the bridge pickup, so really I’m playing it as though it’s a P bass. Quite recently I put a Fender Vintage P pickup in it, but it still doesn’t sound just like a P. The Fender pickup is considerably better than the stock Yamaha one though.

It was in this thread a couple of years back, starting on page 280

Here's a picture of it finished. I really lucked out with the neck (IMO), the fretboard wood is lovely, the headstock is quite aged and the two skunk stripes aren't as prominent as some, so not as jarring. Just how I like it. 

wu09PgE.jpeg

Pickguard up close and personal. 

Screenshot_20230909_213113_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3182d2289c115ec9cd34acf248c6f4cb.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Maude said:

Here's a picture of it finished. I really lucked out with the neck (IMO), the fretboard wood is lovely, the headstock is quite aged and the two skunk stripes aren't as prominent as some, so not as jarring. Just how I like it. 

wu09PgE.jpeg

Screenshot_20230909_213113_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3182d2289c115ec9cd34acf248c6f4cb.jpg

Very nice looking bass!!

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

wu09PgE.jpeg

As it should be.... looks great....

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2023 at 09:11, Misdee said:

Yes thanks, I was looking at the white one in Peach Guitars just the other day. It's just that bit too heavy.  I'm holding out for a good example at the right weight. I think I will be lucky to find one, though.

Nowadays 9.5 pounds is my cut-off point for the weight of any bass. I know from experience if it weighs more than that I just won't want to get it out and play it. I'm getting to an age where I've got enough aches and pains without uneccessarily giving myself anymore.

Just picked up this very bass. Slightly over what I’d normally go for weight wise but it’s bloody marvellous. 

IMG_3084.thumb.jpeg.3351d6c2cb0b01e3a7a136650ef77ee3.jpeg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Happypants said:

Just picked up this very bass. Slightly over what I’d normally go for weight wise but it’s bloody marvellous. 

IMG_3084.thumb.jpeg.3351d6c2cb0b01e3a7a136650ef77ee3.jpeg

Oh god take it away. I can't cope looking at that. Or more to the point my wallet won't cope in a minute. 

Mustn't do anything silly, I mustn't do anything silly. 

Be still my beating heart. 

• Like 1

That's a rather beautiful bass that will serve you well in any musical style you can imagine. I hope you get a lot of pleasure from it.

The quality of these Japanese Yamaha basses is pretty extraordinary, especially considering the very reasonable price of this particular model. You can spend twice as much on a boutique bass and not get as good an instrument. I speak from experience.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

Handed my 414 over to a well-regarded local tech for a fret dress and setup (she's earned me lots of money over the last year, including being the House Bass at a regular weekly jam night (tho this has now finished)), and picked her up Satdy before my gig, and she plays and sounds as well as anything I've ever owned. If she was a pound lighter (and I wasn't such a collector) I could probably sell everything else...

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Yet another example of "What Yamaha Can Do vs What Yamaha Give Us"

I know this could be said of most brands - but I feel the BB range has such potential for different finishes or pickup arrangements. Maybe one day something like the above will make it to market.

Yeah it seems like such a waste. I’m still confused as to why the 734a is only available with a painted neck too, sure some people like that but I’ve always hated it especially when it has such a nice neck to show off.

I’m possibly going to trade for a 734a but I’ll be sanding the paint off the neck pretty swiftly!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Yeah it seems like such a waste. I’m still confused as to why the 734a is only available with a painted neck too, sure some people like that but I’ve always hated it especially when it has such a nice neck to show off.

I’m possibly going to trade for a 734a but I’ll be sanding the paint off the neck pretty swiftly!

I think almost everyone who buys the matte black stealth BB734A does so enjoying the fact that the entire thing is black, not just the body and front of headstock. I know that was a big draw for me. I hear you on the coffee coloured version though.

BTW I added to the vibe by taking fine wire wool to the pick guard to make it also matte, and I coloured in the 3 ply of the pick guard to be all black. I think the entire vibe would be lost with a wood finish neck.

Edited by Lord Summerisle