Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

A while back I fell out of love with the BB shape and decided to sell them all.

Off went the 

BB 734A, BB1024X, BB 425X, BB 424X and the

BB 414.

All replaced by Precision basses and a G&L JB2 tribute.

Although the 424X was my favourite the 414 was in on an equal footing.  Not long after selling the 414 I noticed the Buyer had decided to move it on and as it was only a few miles from my house I decided to buy it back for noodling on or as a  back up to a back up Precision.

Recently joined a new band and been happily using the Precision basses but decided to take the Yamaha along just to give it a run out. Used it on the first song of a four hour rehersal and never put it down for the rest of the day.

It sounded amazing. So many different tonal options. Even the bridge pick up solo'd sounded great.

So looks like my love affair with the BB range may be about to be rekindled.

That BB 414 is seriously great value for money, its astounding that it sounds so good for such little outlay.

Still loving the Precision and G&L too but great to have the tonal range options of the BB 414 back again.

Incidentally I actually bought it back for more than I sold it for ....but it did come with a gig bag

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

See...even more choice. 

One person's choice is another person's blasphemy.  I wouldn't go that far, personally - I'm quite capable of ignoring the slim BBs because they don't appeal to me.  But I'm sure there will be people out there who froth at the mouth and brandish pitchforks at the thought of them...

• 2 weeks later...

Two peoples kindness/generosity in one photo. 

Firstly @Ricky Rioli for the set of Boomers, gratis, and secondly the guitarist in both of my bands for getting me a little BB for my birthday last week. 

I've gone rogue Ric and put them on my 734a first to see what they're like. Too early to tell yet but I'll report back. 

Thank you again. 🙂👍

20230306_214040.thumb.jpg.9174ead429eb7fb494415cd54e653c89.jpg

And further to the 'new BBs aren't real BBs' debate (😉), this is a fantastic bass. I do really like the fat classic BBs but this is also a beauty. 

What's not to like? Gratuitous pic. 😊

20230306_213844.thumb.jpg.91ffa841cbf7ae0851fb97bed5a1f734.jpg

• Like 6

While we're on a 734a vibe, I saw some pictures of Hooky today at the 'World is a Vampire' festival in Mexico playing a bright red 734a. I don't know why he wasn't playing his usual BBPH as he loves the reverse P, hopefully nothing has happened to them. 

I assume he's had the 734 refinished in red.

FB_IMG_1678140848237.thumb.jpg.9d21d1e61279a99ba40fa8a2677970c0.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maude said:

While we're on a 734a vibe, I saw some pictures of Hooky today at the 'World is a Vampire' festival in Mexico playing a bright red 734a. I don't know why he wasn't playing his usual BBPH as he loves the reverse P, hopefully nothing has happened to them. 

BA left his bass at Heathrow....thats one of Jacks basses.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

BA left his bass at Heathrow....thats one of Jacks basses.

Borrowing your son's bass so you can play support to them. 

Come on Dad, sort your s**t out! 😁

• Like 2

On 08/02/2023 at 14:19, Ricky Rioli said:

During my happy time with my 424 I mostly used GHS Boomers, which especially suited the middle position.

Would anyone with a 414 / 424 / 1024 like to try out Boomers with this nearly-new set of 45-105 gratis ?

8 hours ago, Maude said:

I've gone rogue Ric and put them on my 734a first to see what they're like.

🤷 Don't blame me if they do nothing for it, I don't know anything about what the current BBs like / want / need

9 hours ago, Maude said:

I know this has been discussed before, but I wish Yamaha would offer more colours in their top range. 

• Like 1