Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Cheap Build

Jabba_the_gut

Hey Jez, this SS is amazing. It's great to see your work as always.

Interesting we should both have wives with a habit of using similar terminology for the workshop. Mine keeps calling it a "conservatory", or "lounge".
Where DO they get these odd ideas?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1494596494' post='3297250']
Hey Jez, this SS is amazing. It's great to see your work as always.

Interesting we should both have wives with a habit of using similar terminology for the workshop. Mine keeps calling it a "conservatory", or "lounge".
Where DO they get these odd ideas?
[/quote]

Mine calls my parts storage bench a "dining table". She also seems to think that garages are for parking cars in. I think it's a wife thing. :D

Lovely photos btw

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1494602887' post='3297310']
Mine calls my parts storage bench a "dining table". She also seems to think that garages are for parking cars in. I think it's a wife thing. :D
[/quote]
I call them basses, my wife calls them firewood. Strange creatures......

Thanks for all the positive comments, really appreciated. This bass was a bit of an experiment that has turned out better than I anticipated. I've changed the strings for something just a little heavier and, from the short go I've had with it, feels better.

I'm also really chuffed how it sounds, was great to see it being played by folk much better than me and to hear what it can actually sound like!!

Cheers

Jez

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='honza992' timestamp='1497209103' post='3316580']
This looks really great. Very clean precise work.

Do you mind if I ask what finishing oil you used, and what technique you used to apply it? I'm finding finishing a nightmare....
[/quote]

Cheers Honza. The finish on this was Osmo oil (can't remember which one off the top of my head but I'll find out and let you know). No technique as such; wipe it on, leave for a few minutes, wipe it off, leave to dry, light sand with very fine paper and repeat. This is the first time I had used it and I'm really pleased with how it turned out and how easy it was to use. The only thing to consider is that is does darken the wood a bit but that was fine for this build.

Cheers

Jez

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1505334630' post='3371200']
Cheers Honza. The finish on this was Osmo oil (can't remember which one off the top of my head but I'll find out and let you know). No technique as such; wipe it on, leave for a few minutes, wipe it off, leave to dry, light sand with very fine paper and repeat. This is the first time I had used it and I'm really pleased with how it turned out and how easy it was to use. The only thing to consider is that is does darken the wood a bit but that was fine for this build.

Cheers

Jez
[/quote]

If you could look up to see which one it was, that would be great. I'm going to start doing some tests....

It looks like you didn't grain fill the mahogany? Did the oil fill the grain, or does it have that nice grainy feel to it? Sand to 320 or so before starting? One coat per day?

Edited by honza992