Why become a member? ×

Pratt on a Framus

fleabag

I know the moving pups thing isnt new. Anyone remember the Westone Rail Bass ? Even Westone probably didnt come up with idea, but nevertheless, its a concept i really like

I do think the Westone idea of the 2 big chrome rails looks kinda more aesthetically pleasing than the large empty hole of this Framus/ Warwick Starbass,
but whatever, the idea appeals to me.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS02YaLw1uM[/media]

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='P-ZARN' timestamp='1487434557' post='3239802']
Check out 'Doug Wilkes' website where he's been applying this idea to guitars and basses.
[/quote]

Oooooh, blast from the past. I remember when Wilkes The Answer came out about 30 years ago.

Sadly it seemed to be an answer to a question no one was actually asking! :(

According to the Wilkes site, the Answer first came out 20 years ago, assuming that the current Wilkes web pages are not actually 10 years old

The Rail bass was featured in a mag in '84 , but i've just remembered that the Gibson Grabber was around in the mis 70's

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1487476069' post='3240075']
I wish they'd given it to a better player to demonstrate.
[/quote]
Me too. I was just thinking his technique of finger-slapping the strings against the pup/neck, when playing the neck pup, made the demo next to useless.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1487463477' post='3240052']
According to the Wilkes site, the Answer first came out 20 years ago, assuming that the current Wilkes web pages are not actually 10 years old

The Rail bass was featured in a mag in '84 , but i've just remembered that the Gibson Grabber was around in the mis 70's
[/quote]

Well, the review by Neville Marten which is transcribed on the Wilkes web page (the review I was thinking of) is dated July 1985. Which does suggest that page has been hanging around for about a decade!

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1487526501' post='3240463']
Someone's already said that this is a problem that's never needed solving which is why they've never caught on.
[/quote]

I think it's a great idea if a little unsightly. I welcome this type of thing rather than yet another P or J bass.
Can't believe people are moaning about the playing in the vid? I wish I could play that badly!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1487528310' post='3240487']
Well, the review by Neville Marten which is transcribed on the Wilkes web page (the review I was thinking of) is dated July 1985. Which does suggest that page has been hanging around for about a decade!
[/quote]

Then that makes Wilkes sliding pup gits were built in the 70's ... so he was up there with Armstrong Alembic and Gibson. !!

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1487528899' post='3240495']

Can't believe people are moaning about the playing in the vid? I wish I could play that badly!
[/quote]

Well, Dave Gilmour must have been duped in '87 when he got GP to play and has done, on and off, for a couple of decades.
Roxy music were aslo duped into thinking the same thing

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1487530324' post='3240514']
Nope, 1985!
[/quote]

I KNEW there was some skulldiggery going on with the dates !! From my lack of knowledge regarding Wilkes, i was under the impression he kicked off as builder in the 80's

Bit more Pratt. Icehouse , where his pro career started ( there was stuff before this )

This is Icehouse and Guy supporting Bowie on the Serious Moonlight tour '83. I was at the Milton Keynes Bowl gig

This vid is from another venue...

Guy at 19 !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzVALmtT0Aw

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1487530530' post='3240516']

Well, Dave Gilmour must have been duped in '87 when he got GP to play and has done, on and off, for a couple of decades.
Roxy music were aslo duped into thinking the same thing
[/quote]

Exactly! Floyd's A Delicate Sound Of Thunder live concert features Pratt and is my favourite of their live performances and Pratts playing is phenomenal.