Why become a member? ×

The BIG FAT South-West Bass Bash, nr Taunton, 2nd April

scrumpymike

[size=5][b][i]BASH BULLETIN![/i][/b][/size]

[size=4]Adrian has promised a box of Maruszczyk/Public Peace goodies and merchandise - he's threatening to come over with his mate Wojtek Pilichowski to give a demo at next year's bash!! (Did I really say "next year's bash"? It was Adrian's idea, honest!)[/size]

[size=4]Also thanks to all who have paid in advance - that's our costs covered :)[size=4] [/size][/size]

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1489318688' post='3255944']
[size=5][b][i]RAFFLE LATEST![/i][/b][/size]

List of prizes donated so far:

Leather strap, bottle of scotch, cockrel-shaped watering can, (MSL) Bass Keeper, Mark Stand, Markbass wristband, D'Addario strings, Line 6 Otto filter pedal, Yamaha FX500 multiFX unit/headphone amp, Zender-signed T-shirt, 1m jack-speakon lead, Chowny T-shirt, Bass Guitar mags, a couple of mini-tool kits.

:o It's going to be worth coming for the raffle alone!
[/quote]

I have an unused set of Rotosound 45-105 to put on the pile if you'd like them?

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1489233564' post='3255338']

[b][u]T-shirts[/u][/b] As promised, more info on the 'official' commemorative T-shirts (see pics posted a few days ago): Price is [b]£12[/b] and sizes are as follows:

[b] S[/b] = 38" [b]M[/b] = 42" [b]L[/b] = 44" [b]XL [/b]= 48" [b]XXL [/b]= 52" [b]XXXL[/b] = 56" NOTE: These are the actual physical measurements of the shirts

I've already bought a few samples to identify me and the bash team and check out the quality. If you want one (or more) please pm me so I can put an order together - I'll need your payment by this coming Friday March 17th to ensure that you get yours on the day.

[i][b][u]£££ HELP[/u]!![/b][/i] I've written a cheque for £80 this morning for the hall and Mrs Scrumpy has been spending cash filling our freezer (and part of next door's!!) with home-made goodies for the big day. If you you know you'll be coming and don't mind paying up-front, please pm me. Anyone who pays but can't make it on the day gets a full refund.

[b][i][u]STOP PRESS[/u] - Stephen Chown's contacts at Bass Guitar are giving him some freebie mag's to bring along! [/i][/b] :)
[/quote]Put me down for an XL Shirt and I will PM you about paying.

Bought a 2nd hand but minty Sqùier vm precision 5str t'other day, Will bring it as somebody was after trying a 5er P I seem to remember? My Stingray could be up for sale as I'm playing 5's all the time these days.
Cheers,
Norm

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1489233564' post='3255338']

[b][u]T-shirts[/u][/b] As promised, more info on the 'official' commemorative T-shirts (see pics posted a few days ago): Price is [b]£12[/b] and sizes are as follows:

[b] S[/b] = 38" [b]M[/b] = 42" [b]L[/b] = 44" [b]XL [/b]= 48" [b]XXL [/b]= 52" [b]XXXL[/b] = 56" NOTE: These are the actual physical measurements of the shirts

I've already bought a few samples to identify me and the bash team and check out the quality. If you want one (or more) please pm me so I can put an order together - I'll need your payment by this coming Friday March 17th to ensure that you get yours on the day.
[/quote]

[size=5][b]Last call for T-shirt orders today please - I'll be placing an order tomorrow morning![/b][/size]

Hi - I've only just seen this thread, and I think I can make it too.

If any interest I can bring my 1970's fender bassman 135 head, though unable to transport my cab down, so I'll need to borrow a cab if anybody wants to try the amp. Lots of pedals, plus a 1989 stingray and a 2003 AV62 P bass, depending on what I can fit in my car!

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1490043346' post='3261756']

If any interest I can bring my 1970's fender bassman 135 head, though unable to transport my cab down, so I'll need to borrow a cab if anybody wants to try the amp. Lots of pedals, plus a 1989 stingray and a 2003 AV62 P bass, depending on what I can fit in my car!
[/quote]

happy to let you borrow my cab for a bit mate gives my amp a break during the day

Wow I hope this place is big enough...it looks like there is a lot going on.

Someone needs to change the list of stuff that I'm bringing (no 0 in the list). I have sold the G&L Tribute and Thunderbird so I'll bring something else instead

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1490169982' post='3262716']
Wow I hope this place is big enough...it looks like there is a lot going on.

Someone needs to change the list of stuff that I'm bringing (no 0 in the list). I have sold the G&L Tribute and Thunderbird so I'll bring something else instead
[/quote]

The main hall is a good size and there's a big stage, separate meeting room and large entrance foyer. The fact that the nearest neighbours are a mile away will be a big plus :) (apart from my friend Denise in the lodge-house - but I can slip her some ear-plugs, sedatives or, if all else fails, resort to the tranquilizer gun). I'm thinking of setting the main hall with a spine of back-to-back tables running down the middle with space between tables to allow access and accommodate larger amp stacks. The idea is that whoever brings kit will be able to display their wares on a table top with their amp underneath/beside the table facing outwards. The meeting room can be a (relatively) 'quiet room' where people can try basses through a few small amps (I'll put my Eden D-class and Barefeced One 10 in there) - muted with cans or using other ambient-noise-less equipment when the room gets busy (the foyer could be used in a similar way). I'd thought of setting our commercial sponsors up on the stage with a PA for them to say a few words about their stuff and for me to make the odd event announcement - or even apply the occasional touch of 'management lite' if Acoustic Anarchy (great name for a band!!) starts to threaten the proceedings. However, as this will be my first bass-bash, any other suggestions based on experience will be more than welcome!!

I've removed your sold stuff from the list.

Just heard from Stephen Chown. He's really looking forward to the bash and says that Scott Whitley is hoping to be there too. Here's a link to the new Chowny SWB-1 vid showing basses from the first re-designed, Indian-built batch as demo'd by Scott.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRq82kdoOGk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRq82kdoOGk[/url]

I'm going to try to get along for a couple of hours. Unfortunately our band are rehearsing in the afternoon from 1.00pm but it's just the other side of Taunton so I should be fine for the first couple of hours. I'll bring along the original Basschat 12 in case someone is interested in building one. It'd be interesting to compare it with the tweetered Mk 2 versions. I could probably leave it with someone if people want to go on playing with it. GrahamT you know who you are :)

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1490359096' post='3264569']
Just heard from Stephen Chown. He's really looking forward to the bash and says that Scott Whitley is hoping to be there too. Here's a link to the new Chowny SWB-1 vid showing basses from the first re-designed, Indian-built batch as demo'd by Scott.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRq82kdoOGk"]http://www.youtube....h?v=sRq82kdoOGk[/url]
[/quote]

Scott is doing a gig in Hong Kong unfortunately. He did want to come down though.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1490462898' post='3265324']
Scott is doing a gig in Hong Kong unfortunately. He did want to come down though.
[/quote]
Gig in HK versus The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash? Tough choice that; I'm guessing Scott tossed a coin and we lost ;)

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1490428120' post='3265030']
I'm going to try to get along for a couple of hours. Unfortunately our band are rehearsing in the afternoon from 1.00pm but it's just the other side of Taunton so I should be fine for the first couple of hours. I'll bring along the original Basschat 12 in case someone is interested in building one. It'd be interesting to compare it with the tweetered Mk 2 versions. I could probably leave it with someone if people want to go on playing with it. GrahamT you know who you are :)
[/quote]No pressure then Phil? I am building the MK2 as fast as I can but illl health has put me behind schedule. I might have to bring a Wet Paint sign on Sunday.🤧

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1490043346' post='3261756']

[/quote]

Sorry, only just added you to the list - look forward to seeing you mate!

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1490482633' post='3265492']
No pressure then Phil? I am building the MK2 as fast as I can but illl health has put me behind schedule. I might have to bring a Wet Paint sign on Sunday.
[/quote]

I sent the MK 1 to the last one with the paint still wet, Graham probably has the marks on the back of his car still :)

[b][u]Bash update: Zilla Cabs[/u][/b] I've just done a last round of phone calls to our event sponsors, basically to say "Thanks again for your support and see you Sunday." Anyone hoping to sample the wares of Bristol cab manufacturer Zilla (me for example) will unfortunately be disappointed! Despite agreeing to attend and multiple contacts from me by e-mail and telephone, boss-man Paul now tells me that he's not available next weekend - go figure!? :mellow: