Why become a member? ×

Flea - Isolated Bass BSSM full album

miles'tone

Just goes to show, all this striving for a crystal clear sterilised tone that many seem after, and Flea made a corker with some really rotten gainy sounds - as did John Deacon as mentioned earlier by dudewheresmybass. Maybe those sterile tones aren`t the way forward after all......

[quote name='Crawford13' timestamp='1486162924' post='3229845']
Hmm is there any way to know the authenticity of this? Is this the actual album track. Listening closely the seems to be a lot of rushing the beat etc.
[/quote]

Im fairly sure it's real, if you've seen them live it makes sense and many album recordings have the odd blip left in - like the half buzzed notes etc.

There's more of this stuff out there, you can also get Bit Torrent files for tunes from this and other albums with isolated drums, drums plus bass, guitar, guitar plus bass etc etc :)

[quote name='Crawford13' timestamp='1486162924' post='3229845']
Hmm is there any way to know the authenticity of this? Is this the actual album track. Listening closely the seems to be a lot of rushing the beat etc.
[/quote]
I would imagine that with a basic recording setup, if you run the isolated bass track with the finished track, after making minimal adjustments it would be easy to establish its authenticity.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1485970671' post='3228166']
[media]http://youtu.be/MYqxHtAEIUA[/media]

Forgive me if this has been posted before (I'd be surprised if it hasn't tbh).
In the "album you know inside out.."thread, many people cited BSSM as that album. Thought many would be interested in this then.
I've been playing Breaking The Girl for many years in a band and a bit incorrect as it turns out!
Enjoy!
[/quote]

a few years ago there was a site with a lot of multitracks from many songs and some full albums. I got the BSSM album there and a few otehr RHCP songs. It made it really fun to turn down Flea's tracks and play along with the rest of the band. I should look for them, I had quite a few in a hard drive somewhere...

It was very interesting to hear how "imperfect" many takes sound, yet in context there's no problem at all.

Edited by mcnach

Thanks guys for the response. I have seen them live a few times and yeah I've watched funky monks a couple of hundred times. It's crazy how tight they are as a band to adjust to each other's playing. Because only hearing the bass it sounds pretty sloppy and lose, then going back to the album it sounds awesome.

I've heard isolated bass tracks of a fair few players - Steve Harris and Tony Kanal spring to mind - the isolated tracks aren't as flawless as you might expect, but in the mix they sound tight and ultimately you'd never know any dfferent. Makes me feel a little less ashamed of the imperfections in my own playing because these two and Flea are fabulous bassists!

Not a huge fan of RHCP. Appreciate good musicians but just can't get into a full album of it. Bought Statium Arcadium and nope not for me i'm afraid.

No taking away from fact Flea is a fantastic bassist and hearing this isolated lets you hear just how aggresive he actually is on bass in a good way. He must have amazing strength in his fingers to be able to keep that up live for a full gig. Hugely impressive.

Dave

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1486375468' post='3231136']
Flea and Chad isolated mixes combined
[/quote]

Why thank you, kind sir. I'm not a RHCP fan, in fact I missed out on all of it and I have no intention of discovering them. However, I've seen the appearances of Flea & Chad on t'Tube over the past 3 or so years I've been playing and they are my kind of d&b - so thank you for posting this as well as the OP for the thread.