Why become a member? ×

Cars for transporting Basses.

HeavyJay

Depends on your budget and other requirements but years ago I used to have a mk3 Granada 5-door hatchback and I could lay any of my basses in their case across the back (boot). One of the cases was a long '5-Star' semi-flight case. My Musicman and Hiscox cases were also no problem. I then 'upgraded' to a Scorpio estate (what can I say, I liked those big old Ford executive cars!) which was even better for me personally.
I now run a Mondeo estate (mk 3) and can load my TE combo, 2x10 cab, gig box and two basses. And that's without putting the rear seats down!
My alternative choice would be the latest Mondeo estate or the Volvo V70 estate.

To expand slightly on HeavyJay's question, I wonder what other BassChatters use (or would like to use) to transport their kit around?

I own a Corsa 3 door hatch into which I can fit a Homebuild Bagend spec 2x10 and 1x12 plus flightcased MB LM11 and lead box (seats folded). My Tobias sixxer and Fretless jazz travel in the front next to me. I used to own an Astra estate which was the nadgers but that died of old age. Like a fool I thought it better to downsize and save money. On reflection a bad move.

I have a Honda Civic V-tech Aerodeck - practical, cheap to own, damn nippy on the motorway. For the SE Bassbash Ped and I managed to get the following in with the seats down:

2 basses + amp (double gig bag)
1 bass (single gig bag)
2 Vigiers (semi hard cases)
2x12 cab
Trace V8
Trolley (heavy duty)
3 stands
5 bass rack stand

Plus 2 ppl. PS: if any one is looking to buy a car in the next 6-8 weeks drop me a PM.

Back to the OP - any cars where you can fit a standard sized rectanglular bass car width-wise in the boot? I can get everything I need for a gig (inc PA) into my Audi A4 estate but I can't fit a blimmin bass case on its own in the boot!

Edit: I guess most bass players when buying cars ask: "how do you get the seats to fold flat?" :)

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='ped' post='309695' date='Oct 19 2008, 10:31 AM']Kiwi you forgot that we ALSO squeezed in two more basses in hard cases (the Smiths)[/quote]
You're absolutely right. There I was while typing, thinking I'd missed something out too!

A big difference, I find, in car/bass transportation, is the use of gig bags instead of hard cases. I'll get cases in boots in gig bags where a hard case will not fit. I only use hard cases when my gear is in the band's trailer with all the other gear. In a car. a well padded gig bag is perfectly adequate. I notice in the latest issue of BGM a range of hybrid gig bags that look neat [url="http://www.monocase.com/mono-bass-guitar.asp"]http://www.monocase.com/mono-bass-guitar.asp[/url]

I have a compact estate BUT I get my gig rig in the boot WITH the spring-loaded cover pulled across. This included two 35" neck bass guitars in gig bags, plus triple stand, two cabs & amp. But then, I have purposely chosen a lightweight rig (Shuttle & Bergantinos).

I base (sic) all of my car purchases upon whether x, y or z bass equipment will fit in the boot and I have to say that of the estate cars available the Ford Focus takes some beating for car size v available space and YES it will take a standard sized bass case width wise in the boot with the seats in the upright position. There are loads of bigger cars that actually can't stack up against the focus (and Astra coincidentally but you have to watch out for which Mk you get, same with Focus actually, newest ones aren't as good) and if overall size/insurance/petrol/etc etc are important considerations then look at the Focus and Astra.

Skoda Octavia MkII here - Very adaptable & the boot is absolutely huge. Had a Superb before this one & it was huge in the boot dept., but the aperture was too slim for decent sized amps/cabs.

The very best for gear was my Citroen Berlingo. Because it's van based you can fit as much gear as you can dream up in the back, even covered over with the sets up. Have a look at medium MPV's in general. Huge carrying room!

Rich.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='309789' date='Oct 19 2008, 01:00 PM']I'll get cases in boots in gig bags where a hard case will not fit. I only use hard cases when my gear is in the band's trailer with all the other gear. In a car. a well padded gig bag is perfectly adequate.[/quote]
True enough. That's what I tend to do when I've got a rehearsal after work.

Sorry guys, forget the hedgehog jokes, there is only 1 car for the jobbing musician, particularly if you also have to transport drummer, PA, you name it....

It can only be a Volvo estate... 240, 740, 850, V70... Very little difference in capacity, my flightcases go [b]across[/b] the back, and with the seats down about the same floorspace as a transit van! Well maybe not quite, but I have transported Amp, 410, 115 cab, AND the two top speakers and stands from our PA, and the Guitarist with his gear too.... Not forgetting mic stands, cable trunk and my three basses...

My V70 does 40MPG on diesel, so not as juicy as you would have thought either... Oh and its a proper car, not an MPV or converted van, so comfortable too!! You can pick up an old one reasonably cheaply, safe in the knowledge the diesel engine is good for 200,000 miles

Nuff said!!

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='309929' date='Oct 19 2008, 05:27 PM']Skoda Octavia MkII here - Very adaptable & the boot is absolutely huge. Had a Superb before this one & it was huge in the boot dept., but the aperture was too slim for decent sized amps/cabs.

The very best for gear was my Citroen Berlingo. Because it's van based you can fit as much gear as you can dream up in the back, even covered over with the sets up. Have a look at medium MPV's in general. Huge carrying room!

Rich.[/quote]

I also have an Octavia. Boot is bloody huge so no puttin the seats down for my rig. When you have to leave gear in the car its all covered under the shelf - even if it is for 5 mins while you check logistics of a gig/rehearsal location before unloading. X-long histox bass case will go in the boot. Good boot if you want a saloon shape motor. VW/Audi bits too so runs a dream. Mine's oretty basic inside but economical as you like.

Good to read about all the gig wagons on here...

Has anyone noticed how our cars are worth about half the value of our bass rigs?! Mint.

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='310003' date='Oct 19 2008, 06:42 PM']Sorry guys, forget the hedgehog jokes, there is only 1 car for the jobbing musician, particularly if you also have to transport drummer, PA, you name it....

It can only be a Volvo estate... 240, 740, 850, V70... Very little difference in capacity, my flightcases go [b]across[/b] the back, and with the seats down about the same floorspace as a transit van! Well maybe not quite, but I have transported Amp, 410, 115 cab, AND the two top speakers and stands from our PA, and the Guitarist with his gear too.... Not forgetting mic stands, cable trunk and my three basses...

My V70 does 40MPG on diesel, so not as juicy as you would have thought either... Oh and its a proper car, not an MPV or converted van, so comfortable too!! You can pick up an old one reasonably cheaply, safe in the knowledge the diesel engine is good for 200,000 miles

Nuff said!![/quote]

+1, my dearly departed 440 used to eat anything you threw in it.