Why become a member? ×

What has happened to Fender colours?

Nicko

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1485862447' post='3227223']

I wonder how many Maruszczyk owners didn't need a new bass until they saw other people's sofa shots of something colourful and pretty, and thought... :wub: :gas:

That's what marketing is all about, and Fender just seem to be rubbish at it.
[/quote] I agree. But like someone else has said it comes down to cost at mass production. People will still buy them though. I think that's the difference. I'm not sure they really care about the customer as much as Adrian Maruszczyk does. I do wonder if he could mantain his quality and options if he were as big as Fender.?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1485861329' post='3227207']
Both Fender and Musicman seem to struggle with this, when G&L, who have a much smaller share of the market, can offer you a whole range of colours on a make to order item, it makes you wonder why Fender can't.
[/quote]

Because smaller companies are generally more flexible and able to react to market pressures much faster than large corporations? That is how they grow their business after all...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1485862447' post='3227223']
I wonder how many Maruszczyk owners didn't need a new bass until they saw other people's sofa shots of something colourful and pretty, and thought... :wub: :gas:

That's what marketing is all about, and Fender just seem to be rubbish at it.
[/quote]

I'm not sure, Adrian is generally quite responsive isn't he? I'm sure if a multiple buyer of his were to ask him he'd probably provide a % split by colour of his last years orders (it'd only be a 1 minute job on his orderbook spreadsheet)... A quick glance at the Maruszczyk thread would suggest the classic colours (or natural) are still the most popular with seemingly black winning.

Not sure about the marketing point either; managing to sell the same old designs & colours to bassists for the last 50 years or so must be a master stroke of marketing mustn't it?

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1485858517' post='3227184']

Still, if I were looking to buy a new bass for Fender MIA money I'd be looking at a Cutlass or an LB-100.
[/quote]

Same here.
Fender - very limited options.
G&L - choice of colours, body wood /therefore weight, neck profile..

LB-100 all the way!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1485861017' post='3227204']
'Twas ever thus. I don't like black - or sunburst since the tort went crap - but am perfectly happy with white.
[/quote]

But you've still got to have a tort guard with white. It won't play in tune if you don't.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1485863765' post='3227237']
Because smaller companies are generally more flexible and able to react to market pressures much faster than large corporations? That is how they grow their business after all...

I'm not sure, Adrian is generally quite responsive isn't he? I'm sure if a multiple buyer of his were to ask him he'd probably provide a % split by colour of his last years orders (it'd only be a 1 minute job on his orderbook spreadsheet)... A quick glance at the Maruszczyk thread would suggest the classic colours (or natural) are still the most popular with seemingly black winning.
[/quote]

I dunno - Fender seem pretty quick at bringing out whole new bizarre hotch-potch variations, all the while being seemingly resistant to doing something as simple as bang out a few classic exciting colours.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1485863765' post='3227237']
Not sure about the marketing point either; managing to sell the same old designs & colours to bassists for the last 50 years or so must be a master stroke of marketing mustn't it?
[/quote]

A master stroke?

I might be wrong, but I don't think Fender has been a picture of health for a number of years now. They're surely losing ground..?

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1485864162' post='3227245']
But you've still got to have a tort guard with white. It won't play in tune if you don't.
[/quote]

Heh. I will also accept gold anodized, cream/black/cream, black/white/black and mint/black/mint. Tort's favourite BUT only if it's vintage tort or Spitfire tort. Both expensive I know, but modern tort is an abomination which is totally unacceptable. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1485869537' post='3227309']
Heh. I will also accept gold anodized, cream/black/cream, black/white/black and mint/black/mint. Tort's favourite BUT only if it's vintage tort or Spitfire tort. Both expensive I know, but modern tort is an abomination which is totally unacceptable. :)

[/quote]

In that case, I'll have my three tort-equipped Fenders destroyed immediately. I'll miss them, they're good basses, but obviously they have to go now. Chainsaw and log burner should sort them out.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1485870434' post='3227321']
In that case, I'll have my three tort-equipped Fenders destroyed immediately. I'll miss them, they're good basses, but obviously they have to go now. Chainsaw and log burner should sort them out.
[/quote]

Just burn the tort! ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1485904777' post='3227692']
Yes, it does. Try reducing chainsaw wear by cutting up Wishbasses - they don't have truss rods.
[/quote]

Can't see them in my 1972 Fender catalogue, therefore they don't exist.

But if they did..how would you set relief without a truss rod? Or is neck relief a myth foisted on us by the amalgamated union of truss rod workers?

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1485907265' post='3227709']
...how would you set relief without a truss rod?
[/quote]

It's Wishful thinking. Arf, arf.

Actually you can specify a truss rod, but it's an extra $100. Well worth it, I would have thought.
http://www.wishbass.com/gallery.html

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1485941063' post='3227795']
It's Wishful thinking. Arf, arf.

Actually you can specify a truss rod, but it's an extra $100. Well worth it, I would have thought.
[url="http://www.wishbass.com/gallery.html"]http://www.wishbass.com/gallery.html[/url]
[/quote]

My god, those are hideous! I don't know where they're made, but they must have some good drugs there.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1485941243' post='3227798']
My god, those are hideous! I don't know where they're made, but they must have some good drugs there.
[/quote]

They can be a bit Marmite... thing is though, when you looked at the gallery I bet you weren't thinking about colour options. :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1485943619' post='3227821']
They can be a bit Marmite... thing is though, when you looked at the gallery I bet you weren't thinking about colour options. :D
[/quote]

True, my brain was struggling too much with the shape to think of colours!

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1485861329' post='3227207']
Both Fender and Musicman seem to struggle with this, when G&L, who have a much smaller share of the market, can offer you a whole range of colours on a make to order item, it makes you wonder why Fender can't.
[/quote]

This is exactly my point. Henry Ford's idea that you can have any colour as long as its black is a bit outdated. People have been saying Fender are mass produced - they may be but what would it cost to have a few proper colours as an option. If no one wanted them the dealers wouldn't order and the worst that would happen is they would end up with some surplus paint. They could always send the surplus paint to Mexico.

According to Wki they make about 400 guitars a day, so "mass produced" needs to be taken in context. By comparison VW make about as many cars in a day as Fender make guitars in a year.