Why become a member? ×

Advertising email from Basschat

Stylon Pilson

My post seems to have spawned a lot of defensiveness and name-calling. It's really not necessary for this to turn into a huge cage match. It was just a simple, and to my mind perfectly reasonable, question. If something important is happening on the site, like a data breach or something like that, then I want to know about it. However, I'm not interested in receiving promotional offers. I was just wondering if there was a way for me to choose one but not the other.

S.P.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1484745669' post='3217993']
To be honest I had no idea the email would go to everyone regardless of the setting. It's the first time I've used it - and probably the last! Anyway you know where I'll be on the 4-5th of March if you want to offer some physical resistance

ped
[/quote]by now you know what the concensus is but I was perfectly happy to be emailed. If it was four a week I might think again but once every four years? I think I can cope.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1484748706' post='3218051']
My post seems to have spawned a lot of defensiveness and name-calling. It's really not necessary for this to turn into a huge cage match. It was just a simple, and to my mind perfectly reasonable, question. If something important is happening on the site, like a data breach or something like that, then I want to know about it. However, I'm not interested in receiving promotional offers. I was just wondering if there was a way for me to choose one but not the other.

S.P.
[/quote]

Totally agree with you, and good that your brought it up!

As for the LBGS, it's just a bunch of slappers... with basses obviously!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1484745669' post='3217993']
To be honest I had no idea the email would go to everyone regardless of the setting.[/quote]

I got no email either but then I remembered that the mods get a special carrier pigeoned message, delivered by the spirit of Jaco, James Jamerson & Duck Dunn.

A lot of effort considering I don't believe I can make it this year :unsure:

Oh I only sent the email to people I wanted to come ;)

(...but in all boring seriousness the emails are sent out in batches that could take a couple of days in total; on top of that we're in Amazon's bad books because we have so many email bounces and this hasn't helped, so maybe some have gone missing... that's why I also created the thread on site and FB etc!)

No problem to ask the question BTW, I don't like emails either especially as they normally mean I have to do something!

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1484751181' post='3218082']
I got no email either but then I remembered that the mods get a special carrier pigeoned message, delivered by the spirit of Jaco, James Jamerson & Duck Dunn.

A lot of effort considering I don't believe I can make it this year :unsure:
[/quote]

Surely it would have been delivered by a Duck?

1.2 seconds to delete an email? You need to speed up!

I think it's fair enough to ask the question about opting in/out of different kinds of emails. I don't think anyone was that negative?

What if a load of people paid full price for a ticket, got to the show, said hi to the guys at basschat and they said "Hi, did you get your 20% off? We posted about it in the site news section"... I'm pretty sure there'd be more people annoyed by that than those annoyed by the email

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1484754153' post='3218123']
Aye, it must be hugely traumatic to hit the ' delete ' button

Thats 1.2 seconds of your life you'll never get back
[/quote]

Incidentally, other than in 'Back to the Future', has anyone ever had any of the time they spent on futile pursuits back?
As a child I had a stamp collecting album and probably spent a few hours sticking in stamps: now I'm 62 I'd quite like that time back to write facetious messages on online forums...!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1484736515' post='3217862']
I don't think so. There will be an option soon though on the new site. We don't send mass emails often, last one was in 2013. Sorry if it caused annoyance.
[/quote]

once every 3-4 years is bloody annoying overkill, can't you limit it to once a decade :)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1484748706' post='3218051']

S.P.
[/quote]

Totally reasonable, My post above and some of the others are just jests , nothing more