Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Lighter and with pizzazz - pumping up a Harley

Andyjr1515

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1484939501' post='3219930']
Crivens....

Andy, stop giving me ideas!!!
[/quote]
He lives!!' ;) :)
And there I've been, sitting at the workbench just drumming my fingers, waiting for that order that's going to consign all my money worries to history! :)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1484932688' post='3219868']
As a rule I'm not a fan of red basses but I do like this. The grain and the burst look fantastic...
[/quote]
[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1484942842' post='3219964']
Loving the matching headstock Andy. Superb!
[/quote]
Thanks folks :)

I reckon the contrast with the maple fretboard will be very pleasing. I'll do a mockup once the main coats are on :)

The headstock will have a couple of swifts and an emblem important to Harry. Normal stuff that many of you will have seen on previous threads:

Jeweller's saw to cut out the Mother of Pearl:

A trace round the inlays in pencil and then rout with the dremel and precision router base:

And tested for fit before epoxying in. The edges will be tidied up with the final sand and stain:

In the meantime, I've sanding-sealed the back of the body and given it the first coat of varnish:

It's all starting to come together... :)

This will be fabulous - translucent red is my favourite finish. Just got this but I do prefer the gloss top-coat.

[url="http://[URL=http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/scrumpymike/media/IMG_5033_zpsiwx9vr0a.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/IMG_5033_zpsiwx9vr0a.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/IMG_5033_zpsiwx9vr0a.jpg[/IMG][/url]

This is coming on nicely. I do like that contrast with the maple neck:

The little sunflower emblem (a personal request from Harry) will press into an exact fit cutaway - just resting here so it doesn't get stuck!

I've got to think through that neck pickup rout - it's oversize under the pickguard. I used to be able to get Jazz pickup rings but they seen to no longer exist - anyone know? I suppose I can always make one...

The back is just stained Ash but's come up fine:

I've mocked up a few pickguard / no pickguard options in Photoshop to see what they look like. To be honest, the pickup ring and separate control plate option, although exposing more of the figuring, didn't look right so I looked at a major trimming option of the existing pickguard and bounced a few designs off Harry. We've opted for something like this. I like the contrast and it makes everything look like it's supposed to be there:

I'm going to mock-up the whole thing later today to check the balance, weight, etc, and then decide on tuner and bridge options (probably going for black) and then cut the guard over the next couple of days...

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1485276753' post='3222735']
cool idea - remind me a little of the Steve Morse musicman signature guitar :)
[/quote]
Thanks! :)

Before I order the black tuners, I needed to know if we were going to need lightweight ones because of the amount of weight I'd taken out. But no, with the total assembled bass now at just under 9lbs (8lb 14 oz without the pickguard), this is how it sits with a slippy narrow strap:

That'll do me. I'll be ordering some black Y tuners tomorrow :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1485278353' post='3222750']
Thanks! :)

Before I order the black tuners, I needed to know if we were going to need lightweight ones because of the amount of weight I'd taken out. But no, with the total assembled bass now at just under 9lbs (8lb 14 oz without the pickguard), this is how it sits with a slippy narrow strap:

That'll do me. I'll be ordering some black Y tuners tomorrow :)
[/quote]

Aha so now we know what our artisan looks like. :ph34r:

Edited by gelfin