Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Lighter and with pizzazz - pumping up a Harley

Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1485607098' post='3225255']
The other thing that I've had to 'fit' are the replacement tuners. Even though I would be surprised if the originals aren't Wilkinsons, the base plates on the Wilkinson replacements are bigger, requiring grinding away of the preceding ones to avoid overlap! From that I can only assume that the peg spacings on the HB are subtly different to Fender and Squier. Worth noting if any of you are thinking of upgrading a HB yourselves!

Still, they look OK - almost like they were designed to do this :rolleyes: :

[/quote]

Bugger, bugger, bugger...

Wish I'd known this last week. HB 50's P, Wilkinson tuners and bridge incoming... I may get a file at the ready!

It certainly looks tasty, but I'm not convinced by the shape of the pickguard. The thing about the Jazz control plate is that its shape flows into the Jazz pickguard, whereas what you've ended up with here sort of bulges out and back in again. I feel like if you weren't constrained by the shape of the control plate, you could have come up with something more fluid.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1485784712' post='3226636']
It certainly looks tasty, but I'm not convinced by the shape of the pickguard. The thing about the Jazz control plate is that its shape flows into the Jazz pickguard, whereas what you've ended up with here sort of bulges out and back in again. I feel like if you weren't constrained by the shape of the control plate, you could have come up with something more fluid.

S.P.
[/quote]
Yes - that was one of the constraints. It would have been possible to grind down the plate to take the flare off, but that might have looked like a bit of a bugger's muddle :D . The shape of the bass also makes a difference - this is my Squier Jag and that is able to flow a bit better with much the same arrangement:

If metal pickup rings for jazz pickups were still obtainable we'd probably have gone for a different solution, but they seen to have disappeared completely off the market (which is a bit odd).

Having said all of that, in real life the richness of the colour and figuring simply takes your breath away and contrasts so beautifully with the black pickguard that it actually becomes a bit academic - the flow of the curve isn't where your eyes are looking. I'm more than happy with the result :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

This looks amazing!
Great finish, colour & grain. I like the headstock & logo. Also like the contrast of the colour with the maple board

I'm surprised that the HB looked such a great piece of wood to begin with. Looks better quality and construction than the price might suggest - which can often be the case with some of today's "budget level" instruments...

Fantastic work sir :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1485860135' post='3227197']
This looks amazing!
Great finish, colour & grain. I like the headstock & logo. Also like the contrast of the colour with the maple board

I'm surprised that the HB looked such a great piece of wood to begin with. Looks better quality and construction than the price might suggest - which can often be the case with some of today's "budget level" instruments...

Fantastic work sir :)
[/quote]
Thanks Marc :)

I've found most of the entry level mainstream makes pretty good in terms of build quality. It is a pleasant surprise that the body wood is so good, though :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1483893056' post='3210910']
Thanks, HowieBass :)

OK - while Nic's Mouradian-style is letting the grain fill cure, I set about attacking Harry's Harley Benton :D

I am VERY impressed with this bass. Let us now dispense with the proviso of 'at this price point' - it's irrelevant.

Metal control plate with good quality knobs reveals a clean and screw-connector-fitted loom and pots:

And before you all jump on me, I KNOW there are two levels of CTS pots, but pretty certain these are CTS pots nonetheless:

Tip for those who might want to take theirs to pieces and haven't done it before - don't lever out tuner bushes, pop a socket or similar as a drift and gently tap them out:

And in the time it's taken Tottenham and Aston Villa to get going in their first half, we have one disassembled bass, ready for all the bits to be bagged safely :) :

Thanks for looking, folks

:)
[/quote]Sometimes people use things because they always have. CTS pots are an example as are the traditional Fender woods. CTS pots are OK but there are several at lesst as good, if not better, in the US alone. Don't get me started on orange drop caps. BTW there is no implied criticism of the control panel assembly. It is probably THE nicest of the aftermarket ones I have seen.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1485877962' post='3227435']
How did you find the Wilkinsion bridge Andy. I have had trouble with other bridges without grooves/guides for the grub screw and although I have been tempted by the Wilks, something always held me back.
[/quote]
I think it's absolutely fine. It's a mid to light mass design but looks nice and seems to be very well made :)

Hi Andy, do you have a link to the string retainer you used for this bass? My HB-50 arrived yesterday and the fitted tree isn't fit for purpose. Neither are the tuners but the Wilkinsons are sitting ready to be fitted - unclear whether they'll need ground down like these at the minute. Might get a way with a light filling going by initial investigations!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1486025302' post='3228546']
Hi Andy, do you have a link to the string retainer you used for this bass? My HB-50 arrived yesterday and the fitted tree isn't fit for purpose. Neither are the tuners but the Wilkinsons are sitting ready to be fitted - unclear whether they'll need ground down like these at the minute. Might get a way with a light filling going by initial investigations!
[/quote]
Hi, Bigwan

Harry tracked this down for me to use - it's a Northwest Guitars product and is basically a Hipshot clone: [url="http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/hipshot-style-string-retainer-string-tree-for-electric-bass-guitars/"]http://www.northwest...c-bass-guitars/[/url]

The only thing I would suggest is that you consider some better screws (or maybe even go BA nuts and bolts all the way through like Ibanez). Because it is holding down three strings, there seems to me to be a hell of a lot of force bearing down on two not-overly-long and very thin screws. With a tiny pilot hole and much care, it is actually doing the job, but it must be on the very edge of its design capability. The tree itself, though, seems to be very good quality.

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1486031080' post='3228599']
Hi, Bigwan

Harry tracked this down for me to use - it's a Northwest Guitars product and is basically a Hipshot clone: [url="http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/hipshot-style-string-retainer-string-tree-for-electric-bass-guitars/"]http://www.northwest...c-bass-guitars/[/url]

The only thing I would suggest is that you consider some better screws (or maybe even go BA nuts and bolts all the way through like Ibanez). Because it is holding down three strings, there seems to me to be a hell of a lot of force bearing down on two not-overly-long and very thin screws. With a tiny pilot hole and much care, it is actually doing the job, but it must be on the very edge of its design capability. The tree itself, though, seems to be very good quality.
[/quote]

Thanks Andy. I'll give it a shot with the supplied screws. If it should fail I'll do the Ibanez bolt through job.

Cheers!

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1486228774' post='3230206']
So its here and its fantastic. What a great day.

Thank you Andy!!!
[/quote]
Great! :)

(and phew! :D )

Let us all know what you think to it - good or bad. And any issues at all - and I mean at all - just let me know and it will be sorted :)