Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Lighter and with pizzazz - pumping up a Harley

Andyjr1515

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1485375920' post='3223539']
Im guessing the bridge will be black too? Babicz perhaps?
Love that pickguard design. Goona look killer.
[/quote]
Just a standard wilkinson one, but black with brass saddles. All the black hardware is on order :)

Last night finished the headstock, including Harry's sunflower:

I spent most of my career in Planning and Logistics, which inevitably means I'm usually rubbish at planning :D However, I've obviously had a passing flash of 'in-cycle activities' inspiration because, mechanically, this should be complete today. It then needs a few more days before I can polish it, ready to hand back over to Harry probably next weekend. That then ties in nicely with gelfin's Mouradian-style, whose varnish should be hard enough to handle normally by tomorrow, which means I can spend time over the next few days sorting ITS mechanical finishing tasks before the final polish stage in a week or so :D.

This morning I cut Harry's original scratch plate in line with the planned design:

Although I have got a replacement scratchplate, the fit on this was just a tad better round the neck end - and I wasn't sure I could replicate Harry's scratched initials well enough!! What it does mean, is that if at anytime Harry wants to revert to original scratch plate for own use or sale, there's a full and bright sparkling new one there to use. The central fixing screw on the original HB is odd, because it was unnecessary, but with the black fixing screw in place it will look fine :)

The other thing that I've had to 'fit' are the replacement tuners. Even though I would be surprised if the originals aren't Wilkinsons, the base plates on the Wilkinson replacements are bigger, requiring grinding away of the preceding ones to avoid overlap! From that I can only assume that the peg spacings on the HB are subtly different to Fender and Squier. Worth noting if any of you are thinking of upgrading a HB yourselves!

Still, they look OK - almost like they were designed to do this :rolleyes: :

Edited by Andyjr1515

It will have one last polish before it goes back to Harry next weekend, but it's finished :D

The tuners were pretty heavy so have tipped it over the 9lb mark, but it still hangs level on my slippy strap and it's still 1.5lb lighter than its backbreaking former self!

Here are the obligatory arty-farty shots:

Thanks for all of the very encouraging comments along the way, folks :)

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='jimbartlett' timestamp='1485700350' post='3225894']
Amazing! Great job Andy! I'm now trawling eBay looking for something to tempt you with for maybe doing for me !!!
[/quote]
Always interested in exploring options, Jim :D

There is something especially satisfying about these kinds of project...