Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Lighter and with pizzazz - pumping up a Harley

Andyjr1515

I still have the rebate to rout (cutter arrived today) but looked around for some suitable material to cover the chambers. I got hold of this basswood sheet that is perfect, light and strong. Also, big enough!

All being well, I should be able to cut the rebates tomorrow and maybe even the covers :)

I should be able to do the covers today. I won't glue them in because I will do the stripping first, but at least get them ready to fit.

I tidied up the chambers and took a little bit more out of the bottoms. I won't rout past the forstner pilot holes because I want it to feel and sound solid rather than semi-acoustic.

For the chamber rebate I have this diddy rebate cutter:

And here it is ready to cut and fit the covers:

Next job is creating the accurate paper templates to trace onto the basswood and cut out the covers. I just sellotape some heavy gauge paper on the top and score round the edge with my thumbnail:

[quote name='J3ster' timestamp='1484324234' post='3214732']
Fill it with beads so it doubles up as maracas
[/quote]
:lol:
[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1484324765' post='3214739']
Fill it with bees so it doubles up as a honey dispenser.

S.P.
[/quote]

Actually, I was thinking of filling it with light foam....have I dreamt that somewhere??

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1484387460' post='3215067']
You've taken a lot of material away from around the neck pocket, how much is too much?
[/quote]
The bulk of the strength requirement is the pocket floor which is resisting the string pull and acting as the friction clamp with the neck to also prevent the neck moving. The sides of the pocket contribute more about position than strength (think of the gaps you see on many fenders, etc). In reality, I could have gone thinner than this but you get into the laws of diminishing returns...

It'll be an interesting addition to the tonewood discussion to see if the bass sounds different with less bulk in the body. If body wood does resonate at all, it will surely resonate more if a lot of the mass has been removed?

Personally my belief is neck construction has more influence on sound than body wood.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1484394012' post='3215145']
It'll be an interesting addition to the tonewood discussion to see if the bass sounds different with less bulk in the body. If body wood does resonate at all, it will surely resonate more if a lot of the mass has been removed?

Personally my belief is neck construction has more influence on sound than body wood.
[/quote]
Yes - I was wondering the same thing, Grangur...and yes I also think it is predominately the neck that affects things.

I still have this niggling memory, though, of someone filling chambers with echo-deadening foam. May have dreamt it or it may be nothing to do with guitars and basses....

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1484399307' post='3215197']
I still have this niggling memory, though, of someone filling chambers with echo-deadening foam. May have dreamt it or it may be nothing to do with guitars and basses....
[/quote]

[url="https://vpsplumbing.co.uk/product/ever-build-expanding-foam/"]This kind of stuff as used by plumbers?[/url]

[quote name='threedaymonk' timestamp='1484399752' post='3215204']
[url="https://vpsplumbing.co.uk/product/ever-build-expanding-foam/"]This kind of stuff as used by plumbers?[/url]
[/quote]
No - I was thinking more the kind of soft foam plastic/rubber you get in packaging. I know they use that in anechoic chambers but I've probably dreamt it ref guitar cavities.

Anyway - onto the stripping.

For poly, I use heatgun and decent scraper - and safety glasses and respirator!

When you see it like this, it looks easy to get off:

It is NOT easy to get off! :rolleyes:

I'm pleased with this so far, though. No burning and hardly any splinters come away...

I've done the back too and half of one of the sides. Still a lot of work before I can get that veneer on!

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1484409509' post='3215291']
Looking good so far. Will the tuners be swooped for lightweight ones, as is often done?
[/quote]
Not the plan at the moment. Harry does want different tuners but probably in black. The 'licensed Hipshot' affordable ones are presently only available in satin chrome and the full price ones would cost as much as the bass did! I don't envisage head-heavy balance so some standard weight ones are probably going to be OK. I will be checking the playing 'feel' with the present ones fitted before ordering the replacements in any case. :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1484325183' post='3214748']

Actually, I was thinking of filling it with light foam....have I dreamt that somewhere??
[/quote]

I have also heard of filling chambers in musical instruments to fight resonance and feedback. 😎

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1484409509' post='3215291']
Looking good so far. Will the tuners be swooped for lightweight ones, as is often done?
[/quote]

Maybe. I do want black or golden ones in there so they will be swapped, but as for lightweight or not - depends on balance when its reassembled. If it would benefit from lightweight tuners then sure, but if it isnt too much of an issue, then simple ones will do the job.