Why become a member? ×

Ozric Tentacles Jurassic Shift. Full Version.

bubinga5

This is just something else. There like Pink Floyd on steroids for me. Just amazing musicianship, timing, conception of what they want/wanted to sound like… Possibly the best rhythm section I've ever heard. As tight a band as you could possibly want. A total pleasure to listen to. I can imagine Jimi Hendrix if he ever heard it, being totally blown away by this music, but ironically they were possibly influenced by him. Strangely this is not usually my thing but I'm absolutely entranced by the Ozrics. They so damn funky them dudes. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzNPlQjL13A[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1483319461' post='3206227']
If you haven't heard this already it might be of interest. Thanks for the clip.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DzmJSOShOM[/media]
[/quote]Where the f*** did you get that from.?? Yes i like that very much.!!! Sounds very Jazz Funk.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1483319862' post='3206230']
Where the f*** did you get that from.?? Yes i like that very much.!!! Sounds very Jazz Funk.
[/quote]

It was an impulse buy from my youth. I liked it for its cover art. At first glance it looked like the covers of typical science fiction paperbacks of the time. It took a couple of listening sessions to "get my ear in" because I'd heard nothing like it before. Listening let me into the world of jazz funk at the age of fifteen or so having been saturated with C&W from artists like Philomena Begley, Big Tom and the Mainliners [color=#ff0000]*[/color] interspersed with highly political Irish rebel songs from artists like The Wolfetones;

[OT Irish rebel song][url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXzhEokVn0s"]https://www.youtube....h?v=DXzhEokVn0s[/url][/OT Irish rebel song]

I was more than ready for some change. I had the Visitor LP until I left Ireland. All I have now is a four track cassette "back up" that's worn out now. The clip on YouTube was a lucky find for me later on but I never got a copy of decent quality to replace the vinyl one. I know little about the ensemble. I love it to bits as a whole album but Toefunk is my favourite part.

I am very glad to find someone else who enjoyed it as it's a bit niche.

[color=#ff0000]*[/color] Big Tom and the Mainliners is [i]not[/i] a smack band.

Just my IMO, never thought of the Oz's as Floyd on steroids, rather more like solo Hillage. Bloody good band though, and the female bass player they had at some point was really on the ball, just like all the musicians they use

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1483349575' post='3206321']
Just my IMO, never thought of the Oz's as Floyd on steroids, rather more like solo Hillage. Bloody good band though, and the female bass player they had at some point was really on the ball, just like all the musicians they use
[/quote]
That's Brandi Wynne of which you speak. She is still the bass player and wife of mainman Ed Wynne.
Ed's son Silas is the keys/synths man now.

Interestingly, Bubinga5, Jurassic Shift is the last album that original bass player and founder member Roly Wynne contributed on, stepping out halfway through proceedings due to ill health I believe. Zia Geelani (he that plays bass on the awesome Live Underslunky) took over and finished the last half of the track Feng Shui and then the other tracks.
I didn't know this myself until fairly recently and it surprised me as although Roly was a pick player (Stingray) and Zia uses fingers (P bass), the transition is seamless.

And yes, what a great, great band they are!

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1483319461' post='3206227']
If you haven't heard this already it might be of interest. Thanks for the clip.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DzmJSOShOM[/media]
[/quote]
That is my kind of thing, sounds influenced by Brand X.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1483358282' post='3206434']
That's Brandi Wynne of which you speak. She is still the bass player and wife of mainman Ed Wynne.
Ed's son Silas is the keys/synths man now.

[/quote]

Thanks bud, yes the names eludued me without googling, but she's impressive, as they all are

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1483358298' post='3206435']
That is my kind of thing, sounds influenced by Brand X.
[/quote]

Indeed , very similar. And both offered great music if you like that sort of genre

Not sure if Visitor were influenced by Brand X , since both bands released their first albums in '76 ...Brand X released ' Unorthodox Behaviour and Visitor released 'Cain! A Modern Mystery Play '

Sorry Bubinga. I hadn't intended to derail your Topic. I am getting an education in Jazz Funk out of it however, cheers chaps. Now I'm off to explore the Genesis and Brand X stuff anew.

I also love Prog. In the Court of the Crimson King still gets played every now and again. My thing at the moment is to try and get remastered surround versions of as much of the pre digital stuff as I possibly can on physical media (DVD or BluRay audio discs).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiA_q-KfgMg[/media]

Edit: Whoops, link to crappy file on YT replaced by alternative one. Here's hoping.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Was fortunate to support the Ozrics back in the 90's, they're a lovely bunch indeed. Think Zia was the bassist then. RIP the legend that is Roly.

If you like Ozrics Bubinga then check out some Gong too, one for the bassists is a tune called Sprinkling of Clouds (ask yourself what time signature)...also Pierre Morlen's Gong are awesome :)

Good to see Joe Hinton from Ozrics the other month rocking out with Gong bassist Mike Howlett & Steffi Shapsyrings on guitar; a band called Sentient...also worth a YouTube look 😎