Why become a member? ×

Contemporary Music Video

Bilbo

We have a rule in our house.

If there is anyone in a music video who is dancing in their pants, we turn it over. The rationale is that, if an artist has to resort to that kind of thing, the music must be a bit cack.

As a result, I have completely lost track of all forms of contemporary pop music. No idea who any of these people are and what there songs are. It just occured to me that the 'pants' rule is a deal breaker and that most music video in the current era is all about titilation, not music.

Do you mean pants in the British or in the American sense, pants meaning 'trousers' when articulated in a stateside stylee? Dancing while wearing trousers seems to me to be an inexceptional modus operandi.

In any event, you don't need pants. 'Modern' music videos may be eschewed simply because modern music is universally awful thus rendering the pants discriminator redundant except if used as a handy visual indicator of the production date of said video, retro or period settings notwithstanding.

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1480535166' post='3185224']
What about this one..i thought it was lovely
[/quote]
Has he not had that bl00dy toothache fixed yet?

edit - yes, it's cute and cool at the same time.

Edited by Mykesbass

I can't speak about the videos, but much of pop music for the last 30 years has been pants anyway.

I had the misfortune to be a passenger in a car with the radio tuned to radio 2 the other day. The Scottish guy going, Steve Wright on the journey back. What a load of absolute rubbish.

I can't believe the number of elderly 'stars' who seem to have records put at the moment. It's coming up to Christmas I guess. Most weren't very good years ago. I mean, shaking Stevens !

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1480538087' post='3185268']
I can't speak about the videos, but much of pop music for the last 30 years has been pants anyway.

I had the misfortune to be a passenger in a car with the radio tuned to radio 2 the other day. [b]The Scottish guy[/b] going, Steve Wright on the journey back. What a load of absolute rubbish.

I can't believe the number of elderly 'stars' who seem to have records put at the moment. It's coming up to Christmas I guess. Most weren't very good years ago. I mean, shaking Stevens !
[/quote]

Och aye, because all us Scottish guys sound the same... ;)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1480533423' post='3185204']
Do you mean pants in the British or in the American sense, pants meaning 'trousers'
[/quote]

British. American's clearly misunderstood the concept of pants when the Mayflower landed.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1480612387' post='3185873']
British. American's clearly misunderstood the concept of pants when the Mayflower landed.
[/quote]

And 'vest'. When they say someone's wearing pants and a vest they mean someone in a three-piece suit who's taken his jacket off.

Anyway, I've decided I now like modern pop music. Spur of the moment decision.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1480619964' post='3185971']
I used to like pop music, but all of a sudden, I now like Country & Western Music.
That was a Spur of the moment decision as well.
[/quote]

[i]Excellent [/i]choice, Sir. (Snaps napkin open, deposits on diner's lap) ... If I may recommend the Louvin Brothers as an accompaniment...

[media]http://youtu.be/vTJ-rBjpE4o[/media]

It seems the Brothers could see into the future.
"The Louvin Brothers recorded "Wreck On The Highway" way back when. Interestingly, Ira Louvin died in an auto accident near Williamsburg, Missouri on June 20, 1965. Interstate 70 was being built at the time. Ira, his fourth wife Anne Young and another couple were on their way home from a performance in Kansas City when they came to a section of construction on Interstate 70 outside of Williamsburg where traffic had been reduced down to one lane. A drunken driver struck their car head-on. Ira, Anne and the other couple were tragically killed. Ira was aged 41 at the time of his death."

http://youtu.be/vTJ-rBjpE4o

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1480619964' post='3185971']
I used to like pop music, but all of a sudden, I now like Country & Western Music.
That was a Spur of the moment decision as well.
[/quote]

What, [i]both[/i] types of music? That's a bit radical