Why become a member? ×

MM Stingray 1998

ProfJames

[quote name='ProfJames' timestamp='1479311812' post='3175542']
Been offered one for £700 with just a couple of tiny dings, not been played for quite some time. How good are these basses? I play a Fender MiA Jazz. Is it worth buying?

All comments very welcome
[/quote]

Try it.

It's VERY different from a Jazz. You may like it or you may not. But if it's in good condition, that's a nice price.

When you try it, something to consider, the area of the string you pluck and how hard you pluck it make a vast difference to the sound - arguably more so than you would expect - near the neck joint and with palm mute you get a fabulous thumpy sound - between pick up and bridge, and a bit of force, and left hand muting a great Jaco finger style sound - and anything in between.

Full on Tim Commerford 1st Rage album sound can be had by bumping up the treble - Louis Johnson slap sound - Bernard Edwards fat finger style - all available if you can play it - far more versatile than one pick up has any business being!!

The price is great given the hike in new prices - I certainly wouldn't sell one for that price.

As McNach says you may like it - you may not. What they do have is bullet proof construction and when properly set up, a playability to match and possibly surpass anything else available.

Good luck and hope it sounds and feels good. A 1998 may well have figuring in the neck also.

Here's another link which further demonstrates versatility

http://youtu.be/rJN72FvjST0

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1479380841' post='3176034']
I see you own a G&L already - the StingRay is going to be fairly similar to that.
[/quote]

only it won't ;)

It really really won't.
The L2000 is awesome, I had one for years. But it sounds like... an L2000 flavour of awesomeness that is not close to a Stingray awesomeness. :)

[quote name='ProfJames' timestamp='1479321232' post='3175663']

Are they different to a standard Fender jazz in any way?
[/quote]

as others posters have very eloquently said, very different. That was kinda my point of go play it.
I get on with mine but other people have tried it & not felt the love.

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1479419001' post='3176485']
Yeah burn them! :-)
[/quote]

NO! Burning is too good for them. Give them a Warwick! ;)

Edit to add that this is just a bit of fun. Absolutely no dig or malice intended. Also, I've loved Warwick since I got my hands on one in late '82 or early '83, and my first counting bass was a Corvette.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1479344666' post='3175896']
When you try it, something to consider, the area of the string you pluck and how hard you pluck it make a vast difference to the sound - arguably more so than you would expect - near the neck joint and with palm mute you get a fabulous thumpy sound - between pick up and bridge, and a bit of force, and left hand muting a great Jaco finger style sound - and anything in between.

Full on Tim Commerford 1st Rage album sound can be had by bumping up the treble - Louis Johnson slap sound - Bernard Edwards fat finger style - all available if you can play it - far more versatile than one pick up has any business being!!

The price is great given the hike in new prices - I certainly wouldn't sell one for that price.

As McNach says you may like it - you may not. What they do have is bullet proof construction and when properly set up, a playability to match and possibly surpass anything else available.

Good luck and hope it sounds and feels good. A 1998 may well have figuring in the neck also.

Here's another link which further demonstrates versatility

[media]http://youtu.be/rJN72FvjST0[/media]
[/quote] Thanks for the info, superb knowledge. What is figuring?

Some people prefer the sound with a rosewood board over a maple - they both have different advantages - rosewood can be warmer sounding and slightly less in your face, maple can be slightly more bright - but remember Bernard Edwards's bass has a maple board - and recorded sounded warm, fat and mellow - albeit probably with flat wound strings.

Figuring in maple neck wood is basically interesting birds eye, flame (striping) or quilt in the neck wood. Current Classic Stingrays have this and quite often basses from the 90s.