Why become a member? ×

NBD - The Return.....MIA Precision

spongebob

I was on the hunt for a second, gigging bass. My main instrument ('74 4001) is my pride and joy, and YOB bass (only a month older than me!), and although I do gig it, I'm not keen on dragging it around certain places. More rarity, really - it's probably my only ever 'stayer' bass, as I had some super resto work on it as well.

I did own another '74 4001, which I sold on a few months back, as it just wasn't in the same league (tone and playing-wise) as my Jetglo. Had a little experiment with an SG bass, but short-scale wasn't me.

So the slot was open.....so it was back to the P. I had a white one which I sold last Summer, and have regretted it since. Saw the recent price drop....but then I found this one, even cheaper. Brand new ('15 serial number), must have been hanging in the shop as there's a little dust on the pickups! They were chucking it out on Ebay - I made a (cheeky) offer - and to my surprise, got it. I thought it would be a gamble given the price - but it was the real deal.

Gigged it for the first time last night, and it was very good indeed. I hate to feel 'obvious', but there's good reason why these remain the bass of choice for so many. It plays so easily (strung with Fender 9050L flats, always use these), and filled the sound space with ease. EQ'ing was virtually done for me.

Never had a black Fender Precision, so it's a change. It also matches my 4001. Que poorly taken photo of my pair -

[attachment=231588:IMG_20161106_154513.jpg]

Only thing I keep coming back to is the pickguard. Leave as is, or change.....I keep thing about black, going all Jean-Jacques Burnel....?

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1478455498' post='3169145']
Looks great but would be better with a black guard, particularly with that nice maple board :)
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. Is a MIA 'guard easy to change? I've looked online, as there's a million different versions!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1478455640' post='3169148']
That's what I was thinking. Is a MIA 'guard easy to change? I've looked online, as there's a million different versions!
[/quote]

Yes easy enough. Do your research get one with the right number of screw holes and the truss notch and your good to go :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1478457027' post='3169158']

Yes easy enough. Do your research get one with the right number of screw holes and the truss notch and your good to go :)
[/quote]

Great stuff. There's nothing electrical attached to the underside of the guard?

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1478457492' post='3169162']
Great stuff. There's nothing electrical attached to the underside of the guard?
[/quote]

Just carefully undo all the screws, remove the output socket nut and washer, remove the volume and tone knobs and the nuts and washers. Then lift the guard off. Sometimes it can be a little tight around the pick ups but some gentle tweaking will get it done.

I recently got one of the cheapish 3 ply black/white/black guards on Ebay for about £13. Perfect fit, it didn't have the cut out for the truss rod access but a bit of time spent with a couple of files and the job was a good 'un.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1478455640' post='3169148']
[/quote]

I`ve just ordered one from Thomann for my at-home-Precision, a proper Fender replacement part. They`re about £40 but the quality is much better than the ones you can pick up for £15 or so, plus the Fender ones have the cut-out for truss-rod adjustment. I`m replacing a tort one as although I love tort, my other two Precisions are black/black/maple and the OCD is taking hold. Great bass btw (well I would say that seeing as I have two of them).

P basses are the ultimate plug in and play bass.

I've got some other basses which all sound good, and do more variety of sounds etc but need a bit more EQ'ing etc to get them how i want them.

The P on the other hand just sounds right as soon as you plug it in. It does just one thing, but very very well. Love 'em.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1479145438' post='3174317']
Nice pair! What month is the 4001? Notice it's sporting the 1-inch spaced neck pup - from memory, this occurred mid-75. :)
[/quote]

Cheers! April '75. I have no idea if that's the correct spacing though, the original (oversized?!) pickguard is long gone. Looking at the neck pickup cavity it could have originally been closer to the end of the fingerboard. The P is a '79 from Basschat, fantastic tone :)

[quote name='Kevsy71' timestamp='1479148321' post='3174351']

Cheers! April '75. I have no idea if that's the correct spacing though, the original (oversized?!) pickguard is long gone. Looking at the neck pickup cavity it could have originally been closer to the end of the fingerboard. The P is a '79 from Basschat, fantastic tone :)
[/quote]

It looks great either way! Like most things Ric, the change kind of filtered in over time. At least it gives you the option of both positions!

[quote name='jimbartlett' timestamp='1479153360' post='3174402']
Fender flats are superb. I've got the 9050m on all my basses.
[/quote]

They are, Jim. Of all the strings I've tried, they are the best all rounders. I've got a set of Fender nickels in the drawer - never tried them as I'm scared to deviate from the flats!

Had a set in the Ric for over a year, and they sound amazing...just seen to get better.