Why become a member? ×

What's the best 'P' sounding 'J' pick up.

jonnythenotes

I have a Roadworn Jazz, completely standard in every way, but since I recently bought a Hot Rod jazz, it's made the Roadworn sound a bit thin, and without any real warm bottom end. The reason for this is that the Hot Rod has a vintage Fender P pick up fitted at the neck position, and it is a sound I now prefer, having got used to that extra bit of muscle. There is nothing wrong with the Roadworn...it's an incredible guitar, but because I prefer the Hot Rod sound, the RW is not getting used as it should. So my question is, what is the best neck position J pick up I could put in the RW, (without hacking the body around,) to make it sound more like a P bass pick up. The only thing is that it must look the same as the existing pick up, so it doesn't change the look of the guitar. I have a feeling I might be seen as a bit of a ducking stool candidate for wanting a Jazz to sound more like a P, but it's just a personal thing to me...

I too have a Roadworn Jazz, and I love it.
I wasn't particularly unhappy with the pickups in it, but an old set of 2nd hand DiMarzio's came up for sale, quite cheap, and local to me.
The young guy had bought them for a project, and I don't think he ever fitted them. I didn't try to look for a serial number, or date on them. I just fitted them, and I was mightily impressed with the result! They sound a lot beefier, and have much higher output, and all round tonal output is better too. The lows are incredibly well defined, and the mids & highs quite punchy

As for sounding like a P, well, it sort of does, but it also still sounds like a Jazz, as it still has some of that "burble" that a Jazz seems to have.
Sorry if this hasn't helped hugely, but if you do happen upon an old set of these pickups, it may well be worth a punt, just to try one of them in the neck position - you can always sell them if you don't like them, but I'm not taking mine out of the Jazz for any reason :)

EDIT: Could you even try a Bridge J pickup in the neck position? Isn't the output higher / different?

Edited by Marc S

Have a look at this recent thread..

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/294041-wiring-a-jazz-bass-in-series/page__p__3161464__hl__jazz%20series__fromsearch__1#entry3161464

Gives the simple version for the experiment. If you like it, there's penty more info on wiring in a push-pull switch, but worry about that later!

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1477517291' post='3162802']
I really am sorry for my ignorance guys, butting having read the thread mentioned above on wiring the two pups in series, won't that just sound like both pick ups on full volume.... Be gentle with me....
[/quote]

It'll generally sound fatter than a jazz with both pups on full.
But using the method described in the link above you will only have 1 functioning volume control and the other won't do diddly!

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1477517291' post='3162802']
I really am sorry for my ignorance guys, butting having read the thread mentioned above on wiring the two pups in series, won't that just sound like both pick ups on full volume.... Be gentle with me....
[/quote]

No. Because that's in parallel and not series.

+1 for the DiMarzio Model J wired (internally) in series. The Model J is, effectively, a P pup but in a straight line - not offset (i.e. 2 separate coils for humbucking purposes) and being wired in series, it's the same as a P. The series wiring is default, I believe, so get hold of one & bung it in (or get it bunged in - 2 soldering points.).

G.