Why become a member? ×

Volume control on a bass

Trueno

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1476754381' post='3156981']
This has got me thinking - I always thought that, if you use it correctly and tastefully, the volume manipulation technique known as violining (on guitar, a la Yngwie Malmsteen) can be quite cool. I wonder if there's a way to make it sound good on bass? Kinda doubt it, but it's got to be worth experimenting with.
[/quote]

I used to be able to do it - albeit with a foot pedal. However its not as easy as it looks. The foot coordination is the easy bit, the "rememering to play a note just before its needed" isn't - you effectively have to learn how to play slightly out of time. If you're late playing the note, your foot has increased the volume and you get to hear the attack which you didn't want.

I've tried it (on a guitar with one volume, not my bass with two) and just can't do it, I can't pick the note and use my little finger, despite the volume control being ideally positioned right next to the strings.

Maybe others can successfully do it, or I could sit down and learn how to do it (with guitar volume control, not a pedal).

I was wondering about this after seeing a meme on FB, which was obviously originally a guitar thing but got edited. I always thought volume was from the olden days for guitars where they wanted that clean 'shadows' sound. Having said that, i've got back into playing my ancient East German P-bass and my other basses have humbuckers, so turning them down a notch means i have to faff with pedals less as they're lots louder!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1476754381' post='3156981']
This has got me thinking - I always thought that, if you use it correctly and tastefully, the volume manipulation technique known as violining (on guitar, a la Yngwie Malmsteen) can be quite cool. I wonder if there's a way to make it sound good on bass? Kinda doubt it, but it's got to be worth experimenting with.
[/quote]

I have an example right here:
http://cherrywhite.bandcamp.com/track/frozen-heart

(Skip forward to about 1:00 to hear me attempting to mimic a cello via the volume knob and a Bass Tubescreamer.)

My bass has a volume for each pickup and also a master volume that way I can set the pickups to the ratio I want then use the master volume to control overall instrument volume without having to turn up two volumes to increase my output whilst keeping the ratio of bridge to neck in the output the same.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1476723217' post='3156661']
I always roll my volume back a bit so I have some in reserve for when the guitarist/s start upping his/their volume, I can quickly turn it up until the song has finished, and then I can up the volume on my amp and roll my bass volume back a bit for the next time its needed. :unsure:
[/quote]

That's what I do. On the few songs where I use a pick I roll it back a bit.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1476802614' post='3157378']
That's what I do. On the few songs where I use a pick I roll it back a bit.
[/quote]Yea, I roll the volume back when using a pick as well, but I also roll the tone back a bit also.

Out of interest, have you ever thought, "I know what, I will just ask the guitarists to keep an eye on their volume"?
Alright, we wont even go there! :(

Edited by thebrig

One thing that we do seem to have overlooked here is the precursory question of how many pickups your bass has. I can hardly blame Precision players for popping the volume on full and tweaking the tone control to find a spot where the tone sits well in the mix - that's exactly what I do with mine. But if you play a Jazz, or a Thunderbird, the volume controls also serve as your "blend" control. T-birds, in particular, have a particular sweet spot when the neck's on full and the bridge is on about '8'.

In short, where I'd set the onboard volume may depend on how many onboard volume controls I have!