Why become a member? ×

Where's Pino

Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='300958' date='Oct 7 2008, 12:36 AM']A friend has asked me to find out about Pino Paladino 'cos some relative Pino fan has a birthday coming up etc.
but it seems to have gone cyber quiet for our fretless friend.
Any info?[/quote]

Ask his parents?
[url="http://www.palladinos.co.uk/"]http://www.palladinos.co.uk/[/url]

:)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='300975' date='Oct 7 2008, 01:15 AM']He is crap at playing with the who. I would be much better and Geddy Lee would be better than me! Goodbye![/quote]

Hopefully when you say "Goodbye" at the end of your post it means that you are leaving and not going to post any more sh*te! Go on now, hurry up the nursery bell is ringing.

[quote name='owen' post='300971' date='Oct 6 2008, 11:59 PM']At the risk of repeating myself - this is where he was before he was famous - [url="http://www.myspace.com/pinopalladino"]http://www.myspace.com/pinopalladino[/url][/quote]

He was famous before he was famous....if you know what I mean :) people spoke highly of him years and years ago.

[quote name='Jase' post='301059' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:29 AM']He was famous before he was famous....if you know what I mean :) people spoke highly of him years and years ago.[/quote]

We were enjoying him on the Welsh language scene even before he was famous before being famous. He used to gig in a hall that was 250 meters from my front door in Bangor :huh:

[quote name='owen' post='301096' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:35 AM']We were enjoying him on the Welsh language scene even before he was famous before being famous. He used to gig in a hall that was 250 meters from my front door in Bangor :)[/quote]

:huh:

Pino hasn't played as much fretless since the early 90's. He's a pure 'P-bass with flatwounds' head now. The man's a legend! If I could steal one player's chops it'd be his...

Funny this appears now, I just took to listening to all the Pino I have on my iPod yesterday!

I grew up with the fretless Pino like so many other bass-players...
Since his "change" to fretted bass I have been trying to connect but he sounds like somebody else to me.
I listened to his work with John Mayer, D'Angelo, Paul Simon, etc...but not once was I touched like I used to be when I heard him play.. Sure it's all well played and there is some serious groove playing going on but his phrasing seems to touch me more on a fretless with all the glissandos, harmonics...His Precision sounds like so many other Precisions and you couldn't say that about his fretless work.
In an interview he was saying that he started to repeat himself on fretless and I can understand that dilemma. Although he is still a strong voice in bass-land I still prefer the other Pino...
I recently listened to "I Assasin" (Gary Numan) which features a very busy fretless Pino and I loved it (was introduced to this album through a tv thing with Steve Coogan in which he plays a dj : Not really obvious stuff for Belgian viewers...:-))

[quote name='wombatboter' post='301522' date='Oct 7 2008, 05:01 PM']I loved it (was introduced to this album through a tv thing with Steve Coogan in which he plays a dj : Not really obvious stuff for Belgian viewers...:-))[/quote]

Alan Partridge! Brilliant show, that clip still cracks me up :)

[quote name='wizbat' post='301609' date='Oct 7 2008, 06:59 PM']Less mmwwaaaaa and more baaaaaaaaaaaa :-)[/quote]

Well I guess somebody was going to say it! Still amusing even though it is pejorative.

I once had the pleasure of playing Pino's old MM fretless some months ago, unfortunately I was a bit overawed and it was more mweeeuchhh than mwah. I do like his work on Mayer's Continuum, especially Belief, but I miss the old Paul Young fretless days. I saw Pino with Paul on the No Parlez tour back in the '80s, awesome.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='301768' date='Oct 7 2008, 10:11 PM']I dont get that :)[/quote]

He comes from where I live ......
It's your normal sheep joke.

"I Started Out With Nothin and i Still Got Most of it Left"
great stuff! That C60 (as I thought he was called for ages) is a natural star.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='acidbass' post='301591' date='Oct 7 2008, 05:29 PM']Alan Partridge! Brilliant show, that clip still cracks me up :)[/quote]

Although I'm Belgian and my language is Flemish I do appreciate British comedy (got the complete "League of Gentlemen" "Fast Show" etc...) I do not suggest Belgian Comedy !