Why become a member? ×

Half-size instruments

Jakester

Hi all.

My lad has expressed an interest in playing guitar or bass, so I'd like to get him a starter instrument.

He's six, so too small for a full size, and looking at some of the measurements, possibly too small for 3/4 size.

Are there any decent half size guitars or basses? Reviews online tend to suggest that the ones available are more like toys, backed up by the fact they tend to be available in place such a Smyths and ToysRUs.

A couple of years ago I bought a Westfield Mini Precision, 25" scale, with the intention of giving it to one of my Grandchildren but they have showed no interest so I keep it in my workshop for the occasional noodle. It would be ideal for a youngster.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1473790070' post='3133177']
There was a thread about this recently that you might find useful:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/290786-guitars-for-children/
[/quote]

Thanks Rhys - should have said he specified he wants "a rock one" so that tends to rule out classical guitars.

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1473791164' post='3133187']
Thanks Rhys - should have said he specified he wants "a rock one" so that tends to rule out classical guitars.
[/quote]

They don't come very much more 'rock' than a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Westfield Mini Precision, 25" scale... ;)[/font][/color]

[media]http://youtu.be/RkWdn2TSmfQ[/media]

Wouldn't it be great if there was anyone trustworthy willing to part with one..? :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1473792305' post='3133198']
They don't come very much more 'rock' than a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Westfield Mini Precision, 25" scale... ;)[/font][/color]

Wouldn't it be great if there was anyone trustworthy willing to part with one..? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Hmm, I think 25" scale might be still be a little too long at this stage - I have a Strat copy with a standard scale length of 25.5" and he struggles to fret the lower notes.

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1473799158' post='3133283']
Hmm, I think 25" scale might be still be a little too long at this stage - I have a Strat copy with a standard scale length of 25.5" and he struggles to fret the lower notes.
[/quote]

Try the same, but with a capo at the 3rd or 5th fret. B) They grow very fast, do kids. Don't get an instrument which will be too small in a year or so..! ;)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1473800890' post='3133303']

Try the same, but with a capo at the 3rd or 5th fret. B) They grow very fast, do kids. Don't get an instrument which will be too small in a year or so..! ;)
[/quote]

Yes! I've done this too! There's a cool side-effect as well - it can pull the action down too making the guitar easier to play! (If there's a bit too much relief in the neck without).

I've only ever seen a couple of 1/2 size electric guitars, and neither of them was very good I'm afraid. Capoing a bigger instrument can be a 'sort-of' solution if funds are tight, but isn't really ideal for a number of reasons. As discussed in the other thread, parlour guitars aren't really suitable either as most of them have full-sized necks. Martin make (or at least used to make) a kind of backpacker guitar but last I heard they were around £300 a pop. As Dad said, kids grow quickly and a guitar that's correct now will be too small in a year or two (no way around that one that I know of... :unsure: ). My best advice is to get a guitar that's just a little bit big for now in the hope that it will last around 3 years; that probably means a 3/4 of some sort - not going to be a quality instrument, but it will make no difference whatsoever to a 6-year-old! :D Visit your local music emporium with said child and get them to let you try a few out.

Bass guitar for a 6-year-old? Hmmm. I have an opinion about that one as well if you want to hear it...

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1473834729' post='3133396']
I've only ever seen a couple of 1/2 size electric guitars, and neither of them was very good I'm afraid. Capoing a bigger instrument can be a 'sort-of' solution if funds are tight, but isn't really ideal for a number of reasons. As discussed in the other thread, parlour guitars aren't really suitable either as most of them have full-sized necks. Martin make (or at least used to make) a kind of backpacker guitar but last I heard they were around £300 a pop. As Dad said, kids grow quickly and a guitar that's correct now will be too small in a year or two (no way around that one that I know of... :unsure: ). My best advice is to get a guitar that's just a little bit big for now in the hope that it will last around 3 years; that probably means a 3/4 of some sort - not going to be a quality instrument, but it will make no difference whatsoever to a 6-year-old! :D Visit your local music emporium with said child and get them to let you try a few out.

Bass guitar for a 6-year-old? Hmmm. I have an opinion about that one as well if you want to hear it...
[/quote]

Thanks Lefty, food for thought.

What are your views on bass guitar for littlies?

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1473837891' post='3133414']

What are your views on bass guitar for littlies?
[/quote]

Well, the mini P shown above has the same scale length - and width - as a full-size guitar. I've not actually seen one close up but the strings have quite a 'ping' to them when played, which indicates that string tension is probably quite high too (which in turn suggests the strings will be very thick for small fingers to cope with). For a 6-year-old my feeling is that it's a big ask. Bass is a bigger instrument anyway of course, but even so I'd be inclined to hold off for a couple of years and have another look when he's a bit closer to 9. There'll still be plenty of time to get him going well before he hits secondary school.

In truth there's no hard & fast rules, but the one thing you need to avoid if you can is having him give up in frustration because he can't cope with the physical demands of the instrument: growing into a complex musical instrument isn't the same as growing into a school uniform...

Only my opinion of course, and I don't doubt others will see it differently.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1473859226' post='3133623']

In truth there's no hard & fast rules, but the one thing you need to avoid if you can is having him give up in frustration because he can't cope with the physical demands of the instrument: growing into a complex musical instrument isn't the same as growing into a school uniform.
[/quote]

That's my concern. Drums is actually my main instrument and he's raring to get behind a kit, but even with a 'mini' kit I've set up for him he's simply too small to reach everything which means he gets annoyed.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1473876521' post='3133811']
They appear to be small gauge, full length and are tuned up an octave. The ones I've cut down are 40-100 and tuned normally.
[/quote]
Yes, but if the tuning heads have small spindles aren't they small for the full width of the 100 string?

I guess that's down to trial and error.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1473876682' post='3133817']
Yes, but if the tuning heads have small spindles aren't they small for the full width of the 100 string?

I guess that's down to trial and error.
[/quote]

I work out the length to take the string just beyond the nut and then put on about a cm of heatshrink. sleeving. Cut the string to the required length and then unwind the outer layers back to the heatshrink then it's only the inner core that goes around the tuner. Next job is to find some better tuners.

Edited by obbm

I would recommend a Tanglewood Elfin if you can find one. I bought one off here to stop my kids breaking my basses. Fits my kids (6 and 9) great and it is nice and light too. My 9 year old was playing it last night and said she loves it.

Biggest thing is that it sounds like a proper p bass and I am happy to use it as a travel bass and trying to find an excuse to gig it. I'll stick a photo up later.