Why become a member? ×

Wicked and nasty bass solo

TheGreek

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1472936169' post='3125496']
Some cooooool stuff going on there for the first wee while, but he lost me toward the end.

However.....I now want an Alembic. [b]They look like something your grandad would play[/b], but they sound rather good for that tight fingerstyle funk, no?
[/quote]

Wish my grandad had been Stanley Clarke or Mark King!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1472936169' post='3125496']
Some cooooool stuff going on there for the first wee while, but he lost me toward the end.

However.....I now want an Alembic. They look like something your grandad would play, but they sound rather good for that tight fingerstyle funk, no?
[/quote]

I think he would have a similar tone and sound regardless of what bass he was playing, IMO.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JonesTheCat' timestamp='1473026764' post='3126281']
Well that's me trawling the web for loop pedals I can't afford and won't be able to use!
[/quote]

The thing is, what would I use it for? Bedroom noodling maybe. It's not anything I would want to gig with. Plus, there's a steep learning curve with loopers. I've seen guys try and use them live. If you don't have it mastered it can come off as gimmicky and corny.

This guy just makes it look easy. It's not.

Blue

Edited by blue

... that's the point of GAS, though.
1. Irrational desire for something you don't need, underpinned by the certainty it will "make you sound better"
2. Brief honeymoon period of using the thing
3. Boredom sets in, accompanied by the realisation that it doesn't "make you sound better" and the fact that it will require a certain amount of hard work
4. Chuck it on the "unloved" pile
5. Sell it on six months later

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1473027601' post='3126289']
The thing is, what would I use it for? Bedroom noodling maybe. It's not anything I would want to gig with. Plus, there's a steep learning curve with loopers. I've seen guys try and use them live. If you don't have it mastered it can come off as gimmicky and corny.

This guy just makes it look easy. It's not.

Blue
[/quote]

Oh yeah, it'd end up as something else for me to make a horrendous racket with. But that's where the fun lies.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1473070548' post='3126498']
... that's the point of GAS, though.
1. Irrational desire for something you don't need, underpinned by the certainty it will "make you sound better"
2. Brief honeymoon period of using the thing
3. Boredom sets in, accompanied by the realisation that it doesn't "make you sound better" and the fact that it will require a certain amount of hard work
4. Chuck it on the "unloved" pile
5. Sell it on six months later
[/quote]

Agreed

Blue

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1473079242' post='3126627']

[size=6]AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]
[/quote]

Cosmo, the guy is good, he will sound good on any bass. It's the way this stuff works.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1473206351' post='3128046']
Cosmo, the guy is good, he will sound good on any bass. It's the way this stuff works.

Blue
[/quote]

He probably would sound good on any bass, but your original point was, "I think he would have a similar tone and sound regardless of what bass he was playing, IMO", which is ridiculous - an Epiphone Rivoli with dead flats would not sound the same as the Alembic in the clip.
The result would would probably still sound like the same player but the tone would be polar opposite.