Why become a member? ×

Pros, wannabees and hobbyists

Barking Spiders

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1471129860' post='3110771']

Ah! It's all beginning to make sense now. The term 'Bar Band' might describe a band playing in a bar but - unlike 'pub band' - also extends to a specific genre. Would I be right in thinking that 'Bar Band' material would be a sort of mix of blues and rock, some covers, some originals?

May the Lord have mercy on your soul! Inti was a complete hoot; I laughed till I cried at his posts.

In fact, we should have kept him around for another week or two, just for the fun of it. Never known a chap sound so much as if his head were about to explode.
[/quote]

Poor chap, I miss him in a,weird sort of way. I hope he is happy on Planet Inti.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1471177742' post='3111005']

But.... it is true, if you don't 'need' to take gigs because you have alternative means, you don't care about the money so much..you'd probably pick a good gig and dump the 'other' gigs. After playing for more than a while, you might get fed up with gigs that just aren't worth the hassle...from your perspective/thinking.
[/quote]

That's fine, however it's the snooty attitude that some have. The "I have a traditional job,so I don't care about the money" is what I take issue with.

Blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1471129860' post='3110771']

Ah! It's all beginning to make sense now. The term 'Bar Band' might describe a band playing in a bar but - unlike 'pub band' - also extends to a specific genre. Would I be right in thinking that 'Bar Band' material would be a sort of mix of blues and rock, some covers, some originals?
[/quote]

I think those might be some elements of the "bar band"

Defining "bar band" is still open. Our "Cheap Trick" still refer to themselves as a "bar band". I actually remember seeing them when they we're still playing bars in the late 60s.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471186882' post='3111087']
Our "Cheap Trick" still refer to themselves as a "bar band". I actually remember seeing them when they we're still playing bars in the late 60s.

Blue
[/quote]

Was that when they were still called "Sick Man of Europe"?
Love Cheap Trick, one of my all-time favourite bands. Definitely one of the most consistently good live bands I've ever seen.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1471187447' post='3111089']

Was that when they were still called "Sick Man of Europe"?
Love Cheap Trick, one of my all-time favourite bands. Definitely one of the most consistently good live bands I've ever seen.
[/quote]

One of my favorites as well, Saw them last month at Summerfest.

I live pretty close to Rockford Illinois, where the band is from. They still live there.

That name sounds familiar, in High School they were called "Fuse". There are still stories floating around from when they would rehearse in Rick Nielson's parents garage.

Blue

Edited by blue

I've been Bar Banned a few times down the years...

Before I get me coat, can someone clarify the term 'weekend warrior' please? I'm in a functions band that does Fri & Sat most weekends when we're busy. We pull in a significant amount & we always strive to be pro in terms of product, equipment, contracts etc. However I also work a 9 to 5 as do the rest of the members. We very rarely do weeknight shows. Am I a WW?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471186235' post='3111078']
That's fine, however it's the snooty attitude that some have. The "I have a traditional job,so I don't care about the money" is what I take issue with.
[/quote]

I have a day* job, so I don't actually need the money. However, I really do care about it.

* not sure how traditional it is

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1471193151' post='3111142']

I have a day* job, so I don't actually need the money. However, I really do care about it.

* not sure how traditional it is
[/quote]

That's honesty as opposed to snooty.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471187749' post='3111092']
One of my favorites as well, Saw them last month at Summerfest.

I live pretty close to Rockford Illinois, where the band is from. They still live there.

That name sounds familiar, in High School they were called "Fuse". There are still stories floating around from when they would rehearse in Rick Nielson's parents garage.

Blue
[/quote]

That's right, I'd forgotten about "Fuse". They went through quite a few names before they settled on "Cheap Trick" apparently.
I think there was a CD of old "Fuse" songs released a few years ago.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471196818' post='3111176']
That's honesty as opposed to snooty.
[/quote]

No, it just fits your preconceptions.

The fact is my music hobby (or whatever you want to call it) costs me money, but I can afford it so that's what I mean about not caring about the money or more accurately I care enough about my money to spend it on things I enjoy (as far as possible). One of those things is music. Is this really so hard to understand?

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1471214798' post='3111364']

No, it just fits your preconceptions.

The fact is my music hobby (or whatever you want to call it) costs me money, but I can afford it so that's what I mean about not caring about the money or more accurately I care enough about my money to spend it on things I enjoy (as far as possible). One of those things is music. Is this really so hard to understand?
[/quote]

In any context when someone says money doesn't matter, yes it's very hard to understand.

Keep in mind, I'm a Yankee. We're a society that's really weird when it comes to money.

Blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1471197666' post='3111188']

That's right, I'd forgotten about "Fuse". They went through quite a few names before they settled on "Cheap Trick" apparently.
I think there was a CD of old "Fuse" songs released a few years ago.
[/quote]

Just wanted to say Rick Nielson's son has been doing a great job on drums since Bun retired.

Blue

I got to hang out with Rick at a Jeff Beck Show in Milwaukee and years ago at a bar that Rick Deringer was playing.

The good old days.😁

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1471217009' post='3111375']
In any context when someone says money doesn't matter, yes it's very hard to understand.

Keep in mind, I'm a Yankee. We're a society that's really weird when it comes to money.
[/quote]

Fair enough, must be a cultural thing.

Money matters, of course, but after the essential bills are paid it's also there to be spent on things to be enjoyed. I enjoy music and am happy to spend some of my spare money on it. But let's keep things in perspective - I know people who spend more on cigarettes and booze than I spend on my music hobby so it's not exactly the preserve of millionaires only and certainly nothing to be 'snooty' about.

Keep in mind, I'm a Yankee. We're a society that's really weird[s] when it comes to money[/s].

Blue
[/quote]

Fixed. :mellow:

:lol: :P

something to ponder. In the classical world, in the UK 90% of all classical concerts (and it may be more than that) are performed by amateurs, mostly for no pay at all. Most groups in fact have to subsidise the costs of performing through subscriptions and fund-raising etc. I've run a number of amateur choirs. We employ pros as solosists and sometimes instrumentalists as well when orchestras are required.

Almost all of the choirs associated with the big orchestras are in fact amateur - it's only groups like the Tallis Scholars which are pro.

I've spoken with many pro musicians who've perfomred at gigs I've been the organiser of. They love making music and make their living from it. Most have to supplement their income by teaching etc as well.

We're amateurs, but we perform to the highest standard that we can and take a very professional approach to running our concerts.

I don't see that big a difference - we're all musicians playing for the love of it (definition of amateur). The pro-world is small. I don't have the capability, or the time to become either a pro-singer or a pro-cellist. As a singer I've performed in a few pro gigs at major concert venues, but mostly it's been amateur gigs organised by my choirs. As a cellist, I regularly play in concerts.

I've spent a lot of time involved with the administration of amateur music. I've run two choirs and an early music group. I'm currently a trustee of an orchestra and trustee of a music education charity that runs (at present) two major courses.

I would have a very low opinion of anyone who thought 'less' of amateurs just becasue they're not paid, Equally, I would think it silly to 'deride' a pro, who will have dedicated much time and money to their career. My tutor at a recent summer school is a lovely young lady who had spent 3 years at a conservatoire doing a performance degree, 2 years doing a post-graduate performance diploma and next month starts a 2 years masters degree in performance at the Royal Academy (which will cost her £12k per year). At the end of that with a mega-bill there is no guarantee she will have a career at the end of it.

Guest bassman7755

Blue
[/quote]

Were talking about a specific source of money though, not money in general. Other than a function band I was once in and a handful of random dep slots, it kind of doesn't figure on my radar. With the boot on the foot, every hour I spend programming is strictly priced and accounted for, but there are plenty of people who program with no concerns about what, if anything they are going to be paid. This doesn't bother me, quite the opposite in fact - I gives me a kick that I get paid to do what other people do as a hobby. Maybe you should look at it like that.

[quote name='zbd1960' timestamp='1471263058' post='3111611']
something to ponder. In the classical world, in the UK 90% of all classical concerts (and it may be more than that) are performed by amateurs, mostly for no pay at all. Most groups in fact have to subsidise the costs of performing through subscriptions and fund-raising etc. I've run a number of amateur choirs. We employ pros as solosists and sometimes instrumentalists as well when orchestras are required.

Almost all of the choirs associated with the big orchestras are in fact amateur - it's only groups like the Tallis Scholars which are pro.

I've spoken with many pro musicians who've perfomred at gigs I've been the organiser of. They love making music and make their living from it. Most have to supplement their income by teaching etc as well.

We're amateurs, but we perform to the highest standard that we can and take a very professional approach to running our concerts.

I don't see that big a difference - we're all musicians playing for the love of it (definition of amateur). The pro-world is small. I don't have the capability, or the time to become either a pro-singer or a pro-cellist. As a singer I've performed in a few pro gigs at major concert venues, but mostly it's been amateur gigs organised by my choirs. As a cellist, I regularly play in concerts.

I've spent a lot of time involved with the administration of amateur music. I've run two choirs and an early music group. I'm currently a trustee of an orchestra and trustee of a music education charity that runs (at present) two major courses.

I would have a very low opinion of anyone who thought 'less' of amateurs just becasue they're not paid, Equally, I would think it silly to 'deride' a pro, who will have dedicated much time and money to their career. My tutor at a recent summer school is a lovely young lady who had spent 3 years at a conservatoire doing a performance degree, 2 years doing a post-graduate performance diploma and next month starts a 2 years masters degree in performance at the Royal Academy (which will cost her £12k per year). At the end of that with a mega-bill there is no guarantee she will have a career at the end of it.
[/quote]

Yet a quartet for a wedding will cost a fortune, maybe if you book the entire orchestra it will be free? :D