Why become a member? ×

Pros, wannabees and hobbyists

Barking Spiders

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472174732' post='3119183']However, we would never bring that sort of attitude, dialog or whatever to a gig. The most important part of our mission statement is to "always approach gigs as a time to have 4 hours of fun" [/quote]

Great ! I am confused though, 'cos weren't you recently telling us, at some length, about how Buddy Rich's tantrums at band members were somehow motivational and a good thing?

LD

In fairness to my good friend Mr Blue and as a clarification for the literally [i]hundreds[/i] of members who have contacted me via private message to express their 'shock' and 'disappointment' that I once threatened a fellow band member with instant death it has become necessary to lay the sordid facts of the matter before the world.

As with so many controversies it all comes down to context.

'That thing' which so provoked my disapprobation was the guitarist's habit of visually enhancing his 'solos' first by extending and wiggling his tongue in the lascivious fashion popularised by Mr Gene Simmons. Upon reaching the prolonged crescendo of his extemporization he would abruptly turn his back on the audience and jerk his [i]derrière[/i] from side to side in a hideous simulacrum of the sexual act.

These physical gyrations were - so to speak - a sort of 'proto-twerking' and entirely out of step with the social mores of the time.

In my further defence it should be noted that the other band members had been so similarly horrified by the guitarist's actions that a secret vote had been taken, the outcome of which was that I was deputed to 'handle the problem'. Armed with this collective authority I took such steps as were necessary to maintain the band's reputation as a family-friendly act.

I mean, try playing a Sunday lunchtime Wacky Warehouse 'kids gig' with a guitarist coming on like a filthy, pox-raddled gigolo. Unthinkable.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1472284482' post='3119999']

Great ! I am confused though, 'cos weren't you recently telling us, at some length, about how Buddy Rich's tantrums at band members were somehow motivational and a good thing?

LD
[/quote]

Your right , I did. You have a very good memory and you make a decent point .

However, I'm not completely sold on the comparison.

Blue