Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

I think it's done. To make the Capo work as a di, I made a little patch cable with a low profile xlr, so to plug into the pa there's an xlr socket at the side of the board beside the output jack for the amp.

It's very much an all purpose board, mainly for my wedding band, but also a blues rock original and an industrial band. It covers it all pretty well, having 2 eqs makes it easy to swap between bass guitar and upright without too much hassle....

20230216_150019.jpg

20230216_150046.jpg

20230216_150120.jpg

• Like 10

On 11/02/2023 at 14:54, SonnyBassPlayer said:

I took the time to take a pair of pics after following this thread for ages - this is my pedalboard, a Nano+ powered by a TRex Fuel Tank JR underneath (with feet lightly raised)

I use this one on various projects and give it a few add-ons for specific gigs

The base/main shape/main band version of it is this one:
Polytune2 noir mini
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Bass Clone
Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop
Fairfield Circuitry Modéle B
1302268324_photo-output(7).thumb.JPG.80497e699e8775ad78ca324f039f6eaa.JPG
The Pedaltrain itself, the power bank, the TC Polytune and the Barbershop have been together in this since 2016.
Once I found the Modéle B (which is an always on Barberhsop) I stacked them resulting in a distortion grain  i love.
The chorus and reverb are bridged with a modded Ikea tool for some parts of my main band and I love the tone they get together.

When I play with another act I stick a loaned B7K, and when I play in my acoustic duo I add a Tech21 for clean guitar and the Boss DD-3 for a guitar part also.
258666614_photo-output(8).thumb.JPG.12e71a151058f097a434ac24a0b5a337.JPG

This is the largest board I had, at the time (2017-2020) I had a post-rock/desert instrumental trio and I knew no clean at all.. good memories (I still have all the gear, it's just... in drawers. Sigh)
_20210306_081531.thumb.JPG.4f8cf9dd510f7820516e435ef2c4a9b3.JPG

May I ask why the depth is set so lightly on the Bass Clone, please? 

33 minutes ago, TeresaFR said:

May I ask why the depth is set so lightly on the Bass Clone, please? 

Sure!! It's because I like the overall color of the effect, I don't actually like it oscillating too much or being too upfront
I only use the chorus together with reverb as a matter of fact, but I use the reverb by itself quite some times

18 hours ago, EmmettC said:

I think it's done. To make the Capo work as a di, I made a little patch cable with a low profile xlr, so to plug into the pa there's an xlr socket at the side of the board beside the output jack for the amp.

It's very much an all purpose board, mainly for my wedding band, but also a blues rock original and an industrial band. It covers it all pretty well, having 2 eqs makes it easy to swap between bass guitar and upright without too much hassle....

20230216_150019.jpg

20230216_150046.jpg

20230216_150120.jpg

Wow!  That's an impressive board!  How do you find the new Darkglass Fuzz?  Does it do the gated fuzz type thing?

1 hour ago, thisisswanbon said:

Wow!  That's an impressive board!  How do you find the new Darkglass Fuzz?  Does it do the gated fuzz type thing?

It does a bit, it's a nice pedal and really versatile. The down side is it does a lot of things pretty well, but it's not the best at anything. I do like that it does a lot and that it's so small. 

The Source Audio Chorus is overkill for what I need, I might swap that out for something simpler and smaller to make room for a different fuzz.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2023 at 10:14, SonnyBassPlayer said:

Sure!! It's because I like the overall color of the effect, I don't actually like it oscillating too much or being too upfront
I only use the chorus together with reverb as a matter of fact, but I use the reverb by itself quite some times

Have you tried depth all the way up and rate down real light? With the x-over in up position?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

I acquired an Ultra Octaver late last year. It's not made the final board yet (it's bigger than the mini pedal it is going to replace) but I like the sound I'm getting from it. 

I only really use it for one song so it's good enough for me :)

my first board!

So for years - no pedals, or a few and then sell… nicest sound I ever had was a hellborg preamp which was a bit big to take as a pedal… I loved the sound though 

Then a Zoom B3 which was nice, but got sold

Then a Zoom B3n which stayed for a while - mainly playing at church will all in ears setup … so amp modelling is good

Then a HX stomp for years

but the more I played the more I refined “my sound” down to

comp> amp model> HPF/LPF acting as a cab sim and then di out

one footswitch for a drive

the other for chorus

sometimes synth patch 

”I could simplify this down and avoid screens and swearing trying to set my gain staging in this box” I thought “it might be cheaper” I thought 

it wasn’t.
But @krispnpointed me in the direction of a colourbox for the transformer channel strip thing I like … and then two big pedals and two power supplies was a bit of a pain wasn’t it…

so a change was afoot, @jimbobothy helped convince me of the best approach … the soldering iron came out and much time and more £££ than I want to think about it all works!  

67F5A936-BD20-46C4-854C-9587C853FA70.thumb.jpeg.41f2caf9c0bc28df8eea87e9d6277534.jpeg

pedal chain for the one person who reads on after the photo…

• tuner
  • Source audio C4 synth  (plus the  Adafruit based preset switcher - ain’t pretty but was cheap)
  • Broughton Omnicomp (optical compressor, sounds nice)
  • “Irn bru” barbershop clone (I don’t like many overdrives on bass - love this)
  • John K mini XO ( crossover drive pedal set up fuzzy and aggressive - thanks to @binky_basswho picked it up from the recycling forum on here broken and kindly passed it on)
  • Frog FX1 preamp - (alembic/fender showman preamp in a box, using a early 50’s telefunken ECC82  running at a scary 180v)
  • tech21 bass boost chorus (very lush)
  • shallow water clone (tape effect random chorus envelope filter thing, sounds great, very sensitive to input gain)
  • Vong filtrung - set up so the HPF on, LPF is footswitchable, and volume knob is to set the input into…
  • JHS colourbox v2 - which to be honest is the pedal despite all the rubbish before it! :D 

All a bit over the top for a basic tone needs but it does sound good - esp with the valve preamp, it just sounds warmer and punchier at the same time 

edit: voodoo labs small ex board and Cioks dc7 underneath 

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 14

I'm in two bands, one an Instrumental Prog Rock/Synthwave fusion band, that's uses the big board thst you've all seen. I'm also in a Rock/Soul covers band. That just needs some basics, PITA to keep moving pedals, but I can't afford to double them up. But looking to start a dedicated little board.

In tge meantime here's the little Rock board 😁

20230222_144327.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

my first board!

So for years - no pedals, or a few and then sell… nicest sound I ever had was a hellborg preamp which was a bit big

it wasn’t.
But @krispnpointed me in the direction of a colourbox for the transformer channel strip thing I like … and then two big pedals and two power supplies was a bit of a pain wasn’t it…

so a change was afoot, @jimbobothy helped convince me of the best approach … the soldering iron came out and much time and more £££ than I want to think about it all works!  

You’re welcome ☺️

The Colourbox is great and really adds thickness - mine has to go back to JHS for a fix as it’s developed a noise issue but it should be a straightforward tweak/repair.

Got some Lightening Boy Audio 2020s passive transformer units which really come to life once hitting them with some gain/boost. A couple of those 2020s’ in combination with a SGGX Beta sound gloriously phat! Also got them hooked up in my signal path and you can hear the mojo.

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

my first board!

So for years - no pedals, or a few and then sell… nicest sound I ever had was a hellborg preamp which was a bit big to take as a pedal… I loved the sound though 

Then a Zoom B3 which was nice, but got sold

Then a Zoom B3n which stayed for a while - mainly playing at church will all in ears setup … so amp modelling is good

Then a HX stomp for years

but the more I played the more I refined “my sound” down to

comp> amp model> HPF/LPF acting as a cab sim and then di out

one footswitch for a drive

the other for chorus

sometimes synth patch 

”I could simplify this down and avoid screens and swearing trying to set my gain staging in this box” I thought “it might be cheaper” I thought 

it wasn’t.

67F5A936-BD20-46C4-854C-9587C853FA70.thumb.jpeg.41f2caf9c0bc28df8eea87e9d6277534.jpeg

pedal chain for the one person who reads on after the photo…

• tuner
  • Source audio C4 synth  (plus the  Adafruit based preset switcher - ain’t pretty but was cheap)
  • Broughton Omnicomp (optical compressor, sounds nice)
  • “Irn bru” barbershop clone (I don’t like many overdrives on bass - love this)
  • John K mini XO ( crossover drive pedal set up fuzzy and aggressive - thanks to @binky_basswho picked it up from the recycling forum on here broken and kindly passed it on)
  • Frog FX1 preamp - (alembic/fender showman preamp in a box, using a early 50’s telefunken ECC82  running at a scary 180v)
  • tech21 bass boost chorus (very lush)
  • shallow water clone (tape effect random chorus envelope filter thing, sounds great, very sensitive to input gain)
  • Vong filtrung - set up so the HPF on, LPF is footswitchable, and volume knob is to set the input into…
  • JHS colourbox v2 - which to be honest is the pedal despite all the rubbish before it! :D 

All a bit over the top for a basic tone needs but it does sound good - esp with the valve preamp, it just sounds warmer and punchier at the same time 

edit: voodoo labs small ex board and Cioks dc7 underneath 

I had a similar experience with the HX stomp... your board looks far better than mine though! Did the Adafruit require any sort of midi host? 

8 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

I had a similar experience with the HX stomp... your board looks far better than mine though! Did the Adafruit require any sort of midi host? 

It’s the trinket m0 so it can act as a midi host - there’s two socket on the pedal a USB power in from the Cioks and the Adafruit out to the C4

code was done by someone else and I found on GitHub

hardest thing was the metalwork!

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

It’s the trinket m0 so it can act as a midi host - there’s two socket on the pedal a USB power in from the Cioks and the Adafruit out to the C4

code was done by someone else and I found on GitHub

hardest thing was the metalwork!

Wow, that sounds very involved though; far too much for my tiny brain to comprehend... I was hoping you'd found an off the shelf alternative to the Disaster area stuff.

5 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

Wow, that sounds very involved though; far too much for my tiny brain to comprehend... I was hoping you'd found an off the shelf alternative to the Disaster area stuff.

It is off the shelf … it just comes in multiple parts and needs code installing on it! 

• Haha 2