Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

On 26/01/2023 at 18:53, Lunoxx said:

I've been rebuilding my board over the past few weeks, and I'm super stoked with the result. Getting some sweet synth and ambient tones from it. As you can see, there are a lot of loops (the PurPLL is in the loop of the T-70 which is in one of the ML5 loops which is in the C4 loop 😵), but due to the fantastic Morningstar MC8 midi controller, I can access all pedals super easily. 

Signal chain: 

Empress Bass Compressor 

Source Audio C4 (underneath board) 

in the loop of the C4: 

>>>Morningstar ML5 (underneath board)

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 1: Iron Ether FMeron

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 2: Broughton Audio Synth Voice Deluxe

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 3: Cog Effects T-70 (with Montreal Assembly PurPLL in its loop)

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 4: Hiero Effects B.E.A.D.

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 5: TWA Great Divide 2.0

>>>Swindler Effects The Gulf

back into the C4

One Control Midi Solo Loop (underneath board)

>>>Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe

back into the One Control Midi Solo Loop

Line6 HX Stomp

in the stereo loop of the Stomp:

>>>Poly Effects Beebo (I/O 1&2)

>>>Hologram Electronics Microcosm

>>>Red Panda Context v2

>>>Red Panda Bitmap v2

>>>Poly Effects Beebo (I/O 3&4)

back into the HX Stomp

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-26 at 18.12.12 (1)_c.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-26 at 18.12.12_c.jpeg

Incredible, dude. I could definitely get on with that. You looked into the Morningstar ML10X? That's been a game changer for me.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2023 at 10:07, Franticsmurf said:

I'm the same as you. I love the phaser but haven't been able to find an appropriate place to use it in the setlists I'm playing. However, I've been experimenting with a very subtle 'always on' phase sound recently - the intention is to use it on songs where I would default to chorus. Sounds good (to me) in isolation but I have yet to unleash it on the band sound. I watched a YT video a while back where delay was used to thicken the sound during the guitar solo in a three piece - I dep in a three piece occasionally so that's something else I'll be working on.

I find a Phaser to work really well as an alternative to an envelope filter in Funk lines. Add it to an octaver and set at a low rate and its like a giant synthy organ sound, it'll sound fantastic in a trio while the guitarist solos! 😁

• Thanks 1

On 26/01/2023 at 15:23, pantherairsoft said:

I was running 1 Collider and 1 Nemesis, but I found all the delay modes I used were on the collider so the Nemesis was overkill for me. However, I was finding the need to stack more delays though for huge ambient soundscapes and wanted to get a third delay on the board. As soon as they revealed that you can 'unlock' the Collider to run 2 delay or 2 reverb on a patch, I was sold. So now, I can run 4 delay or 4 reverb at once (or any combination), plus the glitched delay from the CSIDMAN at the end. It's everything I could ever need.

Great board Shep!

• Like 1

On 26/01/2023 at 18:53, Lunoxx said:

I've been rebuilding my board over the past few weeks, and I'm super stoked with the result. Getting some sweet synth and ambient tones from it. As you can see, there are a lot of loops (the PurPLL is in the loop of the T-70 which is in one of the ML5 loops which is in the C4 loop 😵), but due to the fantastic Morningstar MC8 midi controller, I can access all pedals super easily. 

Signal chain: 

Empress Bass Compressor 

Source Audio C4 (underneath board) 

in the loop of the C4: 

>>>Morningstar ML5 (underneath board)

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 1: Iron Ether FMeron

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 2: Broughton Audio Synth Voice Deluxe

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 3: Cog Effects T-70 (with Montreal Assembly PurPLL in its loop)

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 4: Hiero Effects B.E.A.D.

>>>>>>ML5 Loop 5: TWA Great Divide 2.0

>>>Swindler Effects The Gulf

back into the C4

One Control Midi Solo Loop (underneath board)

>>>Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe

back into the One Control Midi Solo Loop

Line6 HX Stomp

in the stereo loop of the Stomp:

>>>Poly Effects Beebo (I/O 1&2)

>>>Hologram Electronics Microcosm

>>>Red Panda Context v2

>>>Red Panda Bitmap v2

>>>Poly Effects Beebo (I/O 3&4)

back into the HX Stomp

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-26 at 18.12.12 (1)_c.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-26 at 18.12.12_c.jpeg

Wow incredible looking board, is it cabled up? Need to see the back now (The pedal board underskirting returns🤣)

Put the below together for some heavier sounds, although will also work as a more generic ‘fly-board’ thanks to the versatility of the HX Stomp.

87F9135C-3C4D-4E74-8625-1C75A66AC29C.thumb.jpeg.0586427ab296dff3a31edd117ef40bce.jpeg

84A86501-ECC9-48E8-B890-3BC73BB12791.thumb.jpeg.d88639638246096fce163427adefeb7f.jpeg

The DIY pedal on the left is a JMK Big Bass Drive I built a while ago, aside from an LED I need to fix, it actually sounds pretty awesome.
I have something else planned for that first drive space though, just waiting for it to arrive back with me (tis out on loan).

As always, CIOK doing the heavy lifting here! 

Si

• Like 12

20230131_135134.thumb.jpg.198b540e899720344cd9fcd9ba38ea1b.jpg

The MPC One is excellent and includes tuner, amp/cab sims, and very editable effects like modulation, delay, filters, drive, compressors, EQ etc. It could be used on its own but the problems for live stuff are it only handles upto four effects for the Bass input at one time and isn't stompable - which is the main reason I have the other pedals (and admittedly, those individual pedals do sound slightly better). 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

20230131_135134.thumb.jpg.198b540e899720344cd9fcd9ba38ea1b.jpg

The MPC One is excellent and includes tuner, amp/cab sims, and very editable effects like modulation, delay, filters, drive, compressors, EQ etc. It could be used on its own but the problems for live stuff are it only handles upto four effects for the Bass input at one time and isn't stompable - which is the main reason I have the other pedals (and admittedly, those individual pedals do sound slightly better). 

Never seen an MPC used like that. Cool!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJ567 said:

Never seen an MPC used like that. Cool!

It is designed to sample the bass (or whatever else) but inputs can be live monitored while 'armed' to record without actually recording and have effects applied while monitoring - so it can be used as a multi fx. Latency is low enough that it isn't a problem. I guess Akai considered this use in hindsight as a recent update included tuner and amp/cab sims. 

....and while playing bass through it you can still have drum loops playing and trigger samples or synths. 

I'm tempted to get rid of other pedals but 4x effects at once for live bass is a bit limiting, and having to use the touchscreen instead of stomp switches wouldn't be ideal mid song. 

Edited by SumOne

1 hour ago, Ander87 said:

Well - I've got a new amp head at home that has challenged some of the pedals I've got, and I went out to uncover the analog toys.

If you look up 'squeeze' in the dictionary, this will show up:

image.thumb.png.87d566873d7216cfc93fea2c6d1a8652.png

You want a smaller pedalboard, there's barely any pedals on there. 😆

4 minutes ago, TeresaFR said:

You want a smaller pedalboard, there's barely any pedals on there. 😆

Haha! Mind you I do think I could complete it with an Octaver but I’d need to swap to a Nano+ and Daisy chain another pedal which I don’t love…

Ander. 

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

My small pedalboard.

The Cioks doesn't fit under the pedalboard and I am trying to find a solution. My MXR Poly Blue is waiting its room in the FX loop. 

My Ashdown OriginAL and Markbass Vintage Pre are used sporadically when I have to use a lot of synth effects.

20230131_183224.jpg

Pedaltrain Nano would work perfectly, can fit the Cioks underneath. 

• Like 1

My 2023 board update. Went from Metro 16 to Mono lite.

Replaced my Tone Hammer, Guma Antique Drive and MXR Vintage Bass Octave to a B7K ultra, OC-2 and a Proton V2. No regrets!

Also explored putting my compressor before the DI which is last in my chain and the octaver and filtered signal is more responsive to my style of playing. I usually put the compressor right after the tuner then octaver and filter. Love what this thing sounds!

IMG_20230201_160338.jpg

IMG20230201155139-01.jpeg

IMG_20230201_165144_870.jpg

Edited by Chadu25
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

My small pedalboard.

The Cioks doesn't fit under the pedalboard and I am trying to find a solution. My MXR Poly Blue is waiting its room in the FX loop. 

My Ashdown OriginAL and Markbass Vintage Pre are used sporadically when I have to use a lot of synth effects.

20230131_183224.jpg

... nice Cioks SOL power supply. I didn't know they had brought this one out.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Damn, I've always had GAS for a Basswitch 

It’s the one piece of gear I’ve owned longer than anything else. I’d say about 10yrs at least. 

With this set up I’ve got the bass running into the Basswitch. The VMT is going into the little yellow box - the 2020s - then out of that into the HL comp. These are in the ‘always on’ serial loop and are both always engaged.

Using the boost on the Basswitch really does add an extra bit of grind to the VMT sound (I’ve the VMT set for a pretty low gain) and it makes an already great sound even better! It basically gives me a great always on sound and then adding the boost just gives it that extra oomph. Of course this is probably heavily influenced by the LBA2020s which is just a transformer in a box and it really starts to add its mojo with some gain going into it. To my ear between the drive and comp is where it’s sounded best and the foot switchable Basswitch boost really starts to fatten it up. 

The signal comes out of the Basswitch and into the AO then the Funklite. This runs into a Micro Thumpinator hidden underneath the board which goes into the Hotone Cab IR. From here it’s DI to the desk and a Thru to the amp. 

I did have the VMT and HL running direct to the amp but adding them to the loop of the Basswitch really ‘cleaned’ things up. Hard to explain exactly, maybe it’s having that serial

loop or possibly due to the transformer in the Basswitch but whatever the reason it’s a cracking sound for my tastes. Then you have the 4 band eq with two bands of semi para mids which allows for that additional bit of tone shaping and it’s a very musical Eq. I’ve yet to hear an onboard which rivals it. 

I feel very spoilt and while I don’t really need much in the way of effects I’m super happy with this combination. I have a few other drives I’ve experimented with but these work well especially stacking the VMT into the AO!!😌

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

My pedalboard which is a work in progress.

image.png.5cabd29a8c88644f3e98f0737201ca20.png

The heart is in the MOD Dwarf, one of the lesser known but nonetheless very capable multi-fx units.  The first configuration I'm working on is this

image.png.71ed384cf55a27d31de222bf4913f179.png

A M-VAVE midi pedal makes up for the MOD's limited footswitches.

The Korg tuner is nice to have (The Dwarf has a tuner, but it is so so).

And an expression and volume pedal make up the set.

This is my first 'proper' pedalboard and I'm awaiting delivery of a power supply for the Korg/Expression/Volume pedals (Never used one before) and I need to wire it all together. Looking forward to the fun to be had!

S'manth x

• Like 2

Shiteballs.

I had everything laid out nicely how i was gonna wire it up and realised one of my pedals has a barrel connector power supply. I have an adapter, i just need to make it fit now.

Edited by lidl e
  • Sad 1