Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

On 11/09/2022 at 17:27, Spoonman said:

Pretty chuffed with this little compact board. It does everything I need...

PXL_20220828_140112679_MP.thumb.jpg.d2278f943478581168368fcdccaad297.jpg

Very nice very nice. Any chance of breakdown of what you use on the HX Stomp? been eyeing one up for a small while and had a play on a Helix rack last night.  

10 hours ago, Chaddy said:

Very nice very nice. Any chance of breakdown of what you use on the HX Stomp? been eyeing one up for a small while and had a play on a Helix rack last night.  

Yeah sure, I can try!

I like the Stomp for an 'anything extra' kind of thing. So I use my own fuzz and octave down pedals for most gigs, then I'll change the preset on the Stomp for the other things I might need for that situation. Commonly that's the Poly Capo for a POG Octave up kind of sound, the Line 6 Envelope Filter, the 70s Chorus, and the Script Phaser. I also run the line 6 own compressor as an always on thing. But as well I use the synth sounds a fair bit, the delays and reverbs, the looper, the freeze. The Poly Capo is useful sometimes too if you have the odd song in a set that's in Eb standard, rather than lose time tuning down the bass for one song. It tracks well and works just fine.

I'd recommend it - it's a real swiss army knife thing. I've always liked to experiment with different sounds, and it's allowed me to have all the sounds I'd ever need, but not lug a huge board (that's bigger than the guitarists'!) around with extra stuff that I might not need on that particular night. I can't see me changing any time soon! 

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 2

My two compact boards. The bigger (Metro 20) is tuned for doom/sludge/stoner: 5 strings, big lows, lots of dirt, lots of volume. Small one (Metro 16) I’m using to play post-punk/goth/hardcore: 4 strings, somewhat cleaner, more cutting tones, played higher up the fretboard. 

Many similarities between the boards. Different goals though, so much that it really is much easier to have two different sets of pedals.

9C1F5BA1-0109-44EA-9EBB-163607383715.jpeg

5FB8C5AF-A398-4B82-9603-2D3CE30ACEA6.jpeg

• Like 8

On 16/09/2022 at 17:42, Spoonman said:

Yeah sure, I can try!

I like the Stomp for an 'anything extra' kind of thing. So I use my own fuzz and octave down pedals for most gigs, then I'll change the preset on the Stomp for the other things I might need for that situation. Commonly that's the Poly Capo for a POG Octave up kind of sound, the Line 6 Envelope Filter, the 70s Chorus, and the Script Phaser. I also run the line 6 own compressor as an always on thing. But as well I use the synth sounds a fair bit, the delays and reverbs, the looper, the freeze. The Poly Capo is useful sometimes too if you have the odd song in a set that's in Eb standard, rather than lose time tuning down the bass for one song. It tracks well and works just fine.

I'd recommend it - it's a real swiss army knife thing. I've always liked to experiment with different sounds, and it's allowed me to have all the sounds I'd ever need, but not lug a huge board (that's bigger than the guitarists'!) around with extra stuff that I might not need on that particular night. I can't see me changing any time soon! 

Cheers my dude 🍻

• Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 11:46, asingardenof said:

It is little but still good. I'm sure it will grow more once funds allow!

PXL_20220916_104251363.jpg

Stick a chorus pedal on there, unfollow this forum, then just walk away.  You'll save loads of money. Pedal acquisition is a very slippery slope - you start off by buying a cheap Flanger "to see what it sounds like" but before too long, you end up selling all your kids' shoes on FaceBook Marketplace to fund the purchase of some boutique pedal that will "take your playing to the next level," which turns out to be just a Tube Screamer in a different box. A bargain at £275. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 16/09/2022 at 11:46, asingardenof said:

It is little but still good. I'm sure it will grow more once funds allow!

PXL_20220916_104251363.jpg

16 minutes ago, rushbo said:

Stick a chorus pedal on there, unfollow this forum, then just walk away.  You'll save loads of money. Pedal acquisition is a very slippery slope - you start off by buying a cheap Flanger "to see what it sounds like" but before too long, you end up selling all your kids' shoes on FaceBook Marketplace to fund the purchase of some boutique pedal that will "take your playing to the next level," which turns out to be just a Tube Screamer in a different box. A bargain at £275. 

I concur. I will send you one with the new cab @asingardenof 😎

1 hour ago, rushbo said:

Some sound advice there. I have a little room left on there so might squeeze a Big Muff and/or and octaver in there, but I'm not planning on going crazy (famous last words!)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, rushbo said:

Chorus is a good call, as are EBS flat patch cables to keep everything neat and tidy. You'll probably want to invest in a power supply too at some point, if you haven't already.

Oh, and a Metal Zone, and a Gonkulator. Everyone has at least one of those on their boards. Honest truth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TeresaFR said:

Chorus is a good call, as are EBS flat patch cables to keep everything neat and tidy. You'll probably want to invest in a power supply too at some point, if you haven't already.

Oh, and a Metal Zone, and a Gonkulator. Everyone has at least one of those on their boards. Honest truth.

I have a collection of Ernie Ball patch cables just waiting to be used, and one of those daisy chain power supplies, so I think I'm sorted on that front for a bit. I think I can do without the others for now at least though XD

9 hours ago, asingardenof said:

I have a collection of Ernie Ball patch cables just waiting to be used, and one of those daisy chain power supplies, so I think I'm sorted on that front for a bit. I think I can do without the others for now at least though XD

I have heard reports that daisy chaining can bring unwanted noise to a signal chain after a point so it's maybe not a long-term solution - but if it works for now, that's the most important thing. The same with patch cables. For years I used standard style cables until I needed to position my pedals closer together and then flat cables made the most sense to me.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 12:54, msb said:

It’s too late , you’re already in. The madness waits.

lol, I started my pedal journey with a HX Stomp thinking it'd suit me nicely. Then got a Boss OC 2, well, it's an analogue octave that the Stomp doesn't do that well, then an Aguilar Filter Twin, well, because it's an envelope filter that the Stomp doesn't do that well etc etc. Ended up trading the Stomp for a spare amp and continued to acquire a few more pedals ...

759DC9E4-2D74-40BF-9A34-35C4B4C21A27.thumb.jpeg.2f6ca3363a34e6f433c50be9663d740c.jpeg

... and these are the ones not (obviously) on one of my already built 4 boards. 

Madness it is indeed!!!

Edited by jimbobothy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, TeresaFR said:

I have heard reports that daisy chaining can bring unwanted noise to a signal chain after a point so it's maybe not a long-term solution - but if it works for now, that's the most important thing. The same with patch cables. For years I used standard style cables until I needed to position my pedals closer together and then flat cables made the most sense to me.

Indeed, I'm at the start of the journey so it's just a stopgap measure until I can justify spending out on something more robust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassThing said:

I was looking at my pedal collection a while back and wondering if I could make up some useful boards out of just one colour of pedals. I might give it a try one day for a laugh.

I think it's a valuable use of your time. And being all one colour allows you to coordinate with the singer's cravat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I haven’t posted in a while and the board has been relatively stable for a bit. Yesterday I replaced my modded dod 250 clone with a real one (modified with led, true bypass and germanium diodes) very subtle sound difference. 

So chain goes:

Tuner

Wilson Freaker Wah

Dod 250 (always on)

Bright Onion AB Looper 

Loop A - Megalith clone 

Loop B - Damanation Audio Bloop > Boss DS-1

Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter

Boss BF-2

E0E8E97D-2290-433A-8488-34510B3538EE.thumb.jpeg.1f60714b45776a69a720aec82a0ce516.jpeg

• Like 2