Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

i'v decided i prefer the clean tone of my status/stingray at the moment (i used this pedal as an always on preamp), so iv been using it as a valve fuzz/distortion, but i dont really need it for that either, and at the moment im a little too short on money to have something worth £140 that i dont use that much

tbh mate rather than it just being not able to hold on to gear, i think i just getting bored of effects now, im finding myself preffering my clean tone more and more. il be holding on to my stingray for a long, long time, i gurantee you that :)

Well I'm rejigging my pedalboard at the moment. I've always had my octave after my distortion just because I never really experimented with it, and it makes such a difference running the octave first o_O Synth-tastic. Anyway, quite a few little neat fixes and stuff (for me) going on, so I'm taking my time doing it all up, and I'm still missing a few pedals.

Howeverrrr... I'm looking at getting a VFB-X or a modded VFB-jr (pedalboard space is at a premium, especially if I'm adding an expression pedal to control the blend) from Barge Concepts so I can use my Catalinbread Hyperpak for anything from full on distortion to a bit of grit. Anyone had any experience with doing that with the expression pedal? And are there any expression pedals I can set to have a minimum value so that the off/down position isn't fully dry signal? I'll probably shoot Barge Concepts themselves the same question. I have an ODB-3, but I don't really get along with it to be honest, even at some very low gain, mostly dry settings. If I can find a better solution, I will!

When I've finished it, I'll take a photo. Its nothing to rival Tayste's new board, but I like it :)

If anyone has any George L's jacks they're selling, I'd be happy to take them off your hands :huh: And another daisychain probably wouldn't go amiss!

[quote name='Finbar' post='261780' date='Aug 13 2008, 06:06 PM']Well I'm rejigging my pedalboard at the moment. I've always had my octave after my distortion just because I never really experimented with it, and it makes such a difference running the octave first o_O Synth-tastic. Anyway, quite a few little neat fixes and stuff (for me) going on, so I'm taking my time doing it all up, and I'm still missing a few pedals.

Howeverrrr... I'm looking at getting a VFB-X or a modded VFB-jr (pedalboard space is at a premium, especially if I'm adding an expression pedal to control the blend) from Barge Concepts so I can use my Catalinbread Hyperpak for anything from full on distortion to a bit of grit. Anyone had any experience with doing that with the expression pedal? And are there any expression pedals I can set to have a minimum value so that the off/down position isn't fully dry signal? I'll probably shoot Barge Concepts themselves the same question. I have an ODB-3, but I don't really get along with it to be honest, even at some very low gain, mostly dry settings. If I can find a better solution, I will!

When I've finished it, I'll take a photo. Its nothing to rival Tayste's new board, but I like it :)

If anyone has any George L's jacks they're selling, I'd be happy to take them off your hands :huh: And another daisychain probably wouldn't go amiss![/quote]

I've got some straight george l jacks you can have 6 for £5 shipped.

[quote name='Finbar' post='261780' date='Aug 13 2008, 06:06 PM']Well I'm rejigging my pedalboard at the moment. I've always had my octave after my distortion just because I never really experimented with it, and it makes such a difference running the octave first o_O Synth-tastic. Anyway, quite a few little neat fixes and stuff (for me) going on, so I'm taking my time doing it all up, and I'm still missing a few pedals.

If anyone has any George L's jacks they're selling, I'd be happy to take them off your hands :huh: And another daisychain probably wouldn't go amiss![/quote]

Are you thinking that you will have a little bit of dry and a lot of the hyperpak for full on distortion, and a lot of dry and a little hyperpak for low gain grit?

I don't think this will work! You would be better off modding the dirt pedal so that you can control the gain with an exp pedal.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='262365' date='Aug 14 2008, 12:53 PM']Are you thinking that you will have a little bit of dry and a lot of the hyperpak for full on distortion, and a lot of dry and a little hyperpak for low gain grit?

I don't think this will work! You would be better off modding the dirt pedal so that you can control the gain with an exp pedal.[/quote]

Pretty much. I'd like to go from about 100% wet to about 80/20% dry/wet. I don't want to just control the amount of gain though, as I really just want it to be a little layer of distortion peeking past the clean sound. I'm open to suggestions on it, but every low gain distortion I've tried just hasn't sounded right. I bought an ODB-3 for like £20 to see if I could get some good sounds from it too, and it just doesn't do it for me. Considering I also want to be able to switch from grit to full on distortion in one stomp, I would rather not go down the route of having a separate pedal for each function. It isn't high priority - its one of the last things I want to do to my board, but I do want to get it right!

Like I say, open to suggestions :)

Well, you are using the words Grit and Full On Distortion - You wont get Grit by blending lots of clean with a little bit of full on distortion, for obvious reasons. You will get a cool tone though. Perhaps you could run a constant 50 or 60% blend with your full on distortion, and put a volume pedal before the distortion pedal so that you can control the gain. Do you not like the sound of the pedal at low gain?

I think perhaps you might mean something different by the word Grit.

I have noticed that a lot of the time when people say grit, they seem to mean a slightly fuzzy, woolly sound on top of their clean sound, that ultimately leaves me completely underwhelmed. The low gain stuff just sounds very womanly on everything I've tried!

I *may* have found a non-pedal solution for this actually anyway, so we shall see! :)

Either way, brutal 'clean' tone ahoy ^_^

Edited by Finbar

Right... This is the board that I think will fulfill all the needs of my new band, "Songs From The Shows". I thought that buying a PedalTrain Junior would teach me discipline, but all it taught me is the virtue of buying small pedals.

'Tc' is my faourite home-made synthy fuzz, 'Ge' is a bass-friendly home-made Fuzz Factory clone, bottom left is a momentary kill switch (actually a momentary loop, but with nothing in the loop).

Stereo Memory Man love ++ Lot of pedals for a board that size! :huh: I think my feet would find a way to fudge that up pretty quick, I need more space between pedals! :huh:

As for my tone fix, I don't think I'll be able to do it now. I tried out an Aguilar AGRO preamp at practice and it was total distorted brutality, but it wasn't mine, and you just can't get them in England. Don't fancy stumping up for a new one imported from America at that price :) Back to the drawing board! :huh:

And the award for most pedals ever squezed onto a Pedaltrain Jr goes too... Nice board Dangerboy, let me know when you're next playing live and I'll try and come down and see it in action!

Finbar - The Aguilar Tonehammer might be right up your alley (it's not out yet though), and The Bass Gallery in London sell Aguilar stuff.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='263397' date='Aug 15 2008, 10:45 PM']Right... This is the board that I think will fulfill all the needs of my new band, "Songs From The Shows". I thought that buying a PedalTrain Junior would teach me discipline, but all it taught me is the virtue of buying small pedals.

'Tc' is my faourite home-made synthy fuzz, 'Ge' is a bass-friendly home-made Fuzz Factory clone, bottom left is a momentary kill switch (actually a momentary loop, but with nothing in the loop).[/quote]That's a beautiful mess, how do you power them all.
I can imagine but I would like to see it in the flesh.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='263623' date='Aug 16 2008, 03:23 PM']That's a beautiful mess, how do you power them all.
I can imagine but I would like to see it in the flesh.[/quote]

Rusty Box has its own 40V power supply. All the rest run off a single diago power supply, with a lot of daisy-chaining.

Here's my board Folks.
It's a Diago lid off jobbie.
The signal hits the tuner first, so that I can kill it to tune up/change basses etc, and then goes into the Lehle D.Loop pedal.
I've got the Sadowsky pre & Boss Bass Chorus running through 1 loop for my clean sound and the other loop goes through the MXR D.I.+ for distortion.
All works well when used in anger!
Let me know what you think,
Cheers,
Jon.
[attachment=12308:PedalBoard.jpg]

No major changes to my pedalboard but enough to warrant another pic :)

Signal goes bass > tu2 > cream pie > polish love > blue beaver (rams head era big muff clone with some mods) > EQ > chorus > punch factory > sansamp PDDI

there ya go, I'm thinking of taking ether the blue beaver or ploish love off the board cause 3 gain pedals is a bit over the top lol and i no longer need the eq as my old sansamp BDDI has been replaced, I have an old Dod fx75 flanger that i got from ebay for £1.38 that i may pop on the board and I'm thinking of either a boss ls-2 and or a feedback loop of sorts

[quote name='BassManKev' post='236612' date='Jul 10 2008, 03:20 PM']pity when you return something they steal £50 off you[/quote]I returned something last week with no trouble at all. Really promp refund and everything