Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='964057' date='Sep 22 2010, 07:39 AM']What's that pedal on the left of the Moog?[/quote]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='964472' date='Sep 22 2010, 01:48 PM']The green one? Boss Slicer.[/quote]

Yes!

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='964478' date='Sep 22 2010, 01:53 PM']Or the Moog Expression pedal[/quote]

Yes again…!

Basically… yes!

[attachment=59531:2010_0923_203621AA.JPG]

I have posted this before - but I have just updated it so now, with a few words of explanation.

This is the signal chain:-

1. Custom made switch box (instrument and amp selector and loop bypass)
2. Ernie ball volume (superb!)
3. Korg Pitchblack (the best tuner for a dark stage)
4. Wattson SuperFuzz
5. Fulltone BassDrive MOSFET (for the overdriven Rutherford tones)
6. Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium (for those Chris Squire tones)
7. Fulltone ChoralFlange
8. Boss DD-7
9. LovePedal Babyface trem
10. Ibanez LoFi pedal

Now the odd thing about this board is that it suits my bass, 12-string guitar and 12/4 twin neck.

The unique bit is the switch box I built (true bypass, natch). I can plug in a bass, or a guitar or my twin neck, and can switch either to the different amps. There is also a loop bypass. The really novel bit is that if I plug in a 4001 I can use the box to route each pickup to a different amp. In this mode, the selector footswitch determines which pickup is routed via the effect loop (unless this is disabled by the other footswitch). Great for those authentic Chris Squire tones. To be honest, I haven't used it like that (yet) though.

As you can see, I am a bit of a prog-head!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='966397' date='Sep 24 2010, 09:25 AM']Nice one. What sort of sounds are you getting out of the lo-fi pedal?[/quote]

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='966549' date='Sep 24 2010, 11:43 AM']Yeah, I'd be interested to hear some clips of that on Bass.[/quote]

I don't actually use it on the bass. I use it on the 12-string to play the intro to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here (for that "AM Radio" type sound). I have tried it on the bass:

We play Another brick in the Wall part 1 - which begins with an echoed guitar part and guitar embellishments. Because of our lineup (only one guitar) I play the repeated echo part high up on the bass, with the bridge pickup, through the flanger and the delay (naturally). I added the LoFi pedal and thought it sounded pretty good. I was outvoted!!! So the LoFi pedal remains shamefully under-used.

I'll try to remember to capture some of it next time I am in the studio (Monday night).

Edited by The Twickerman

[quote name='mxm' post='968103' date='Sep 26 2010, 02:23 AM']Sonic jumble...

....>>>>pedaltrain II > ebs multicomp > mxr envelope filter > markbass synth > ebs wah one > mxr rio grande > ehx big muff pi > pw tuner > aguilar tone hammer > trex chameleon >>>>>....[/quote]

Nice board. Like it alot. How are you finding the Synth? I'm loving it!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='968105' date='Sep 26 2010, 02:40 AM']Nice board. Like it alot. How are you finding the Synth? I'm loving it![/quote]

Cheers ! Absolutely love the synth too - really works well mixed in with distortions for crazed phat moog-isms !!!

Bit of a tweak to make the pt jr more workable with the m13.

Basically it sits in the loop and depending on the scene the loop moves.

The boss expr can be used as an expr on the m13 or when just using the pt jr I just add a patch lead between it and the Prometheus and voila volume pedal.

Signal chain is Bass - M13 - M13 Loop ( Kimbara/Shin Ei Wah - Fredric Effects Unpleasant Companion - Subdecay Proteus - Subdecay Tomato Fuzz - Mojohand 442 Red - Subdecay Prometheus) - Out of M13 in stereo - Left to amp passive input, right to Trace Elliot TVT9

Or at home into the different channels on the Dynacord MV15 I use for home practice, but basically all effects into a clean channel and a dirty channel at the same time. Some times I'll place a volume pedal before the dirt pre so I can blend it in and out of the signal.

Having a lot of fun with this at the moment, got a lot of oddly placed dirts and mod effects.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='968873' date='Sep 26 2010, 09:41 PM']there are quite a few wd7s here!
i have two![/quote]

haha great!

What settings do you use? I haven't had much time to play around with it yet. I have a feeling i'll probably leave it in the switch mode rather than the spring loaded setting. apparently its not true bypass - have you noticed any major tone suck?

Cheers,
L

Big thanks to everyone that replied to my wah placement thread - I've repopulated the board to make the most of the space, as the WD7 is [b]massive![/b] I'm please to say that the board sounds fantastic! Still needs a DI, but i think i'm lacking the space, so i might invest in a marshall echohead instead. Next job will be to upgrade the cabling i think...

Signal chain is now:
Bass > Boss OC-2 > Korg Pitchblack > Weeping Demon > Digitech Bass Driver > Boss GEB-7 > EHX Clone Theory > Amp

Edited by TheRockinRoadie

[quote name='cheddatom' post='969593' date='Sep 27 2010, 03:48 PM']Why do people take their own DIs to gigs? Most amps have a DI output, or at least a pre-amp output or an effects send. Also, every venue i've ever played have had their own DI boxes....?[/quote]

No venue I've played has a Radial JDI, if you want quality you better put it in your gig bag :)

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='969599' date='Sep 27 2010, 03:56 PM']No venue I've played has a Radial JDI, if you want quality you better put it in your gig bag :)[/quote]

But can anyone tell the difference when it's going through the PA with everything else? I suppose you can else you wouldn't bother, but it's not as though you're monitoring your DI is it, you have your amp for that.

Cheddatom, it clearly depends on what DI or PA connection means are available when you get to a venue... and if you're not bringing your own then there could be massive variations in quality of DI.

I've played places before with what could be classed as good equipment... yet, when I used their DI there was seriously frustrating bottom end tone suck that meant my bass sound was practically nonexistent - tone nazi or not if the low end isn't there it isn't there. Then I switch to my high quality personal DI box and, voila, low end is there (as it should be) and tone quality is back.

Mark

Edited by mcgraham

[quote name='cheddatom' post='969601' date='Sep 27 2010, 03:57 PM']But can anyone tell the difference when it's going through the PA with everything else? I suppose you can else you wouldn't bother, but it's not as though you're monitoring your DI is it, you have your amp for that.[/quote]

Maybe not but I run mine out of a 1/4 inch out on my Matamp so its part of my rig, I don't have to adjust the output for each venue because their DI boxes are hotter than the ones I used the night before, also I then have confidence in my gear so if for some reason my bass signal isn't getting to his desk he can check his connections and his xlr's before coming to my amp.

Also I subscribe to the view of if you need it to play then you should own it and take it to the gigs.

Also I have the Radial JDI as I can use it as a speaker DI on some of my vintage tube heads.

FYI I've been at plenty of gigs where they haven't had enough di's for all the bands because the headliner has 4 keyboards and backing tracks and a drum machine and this that and the other, so it does happen.

Just out of interest Tom how often do you gig?

Oh and to expand on my previous post here is a good story.

Just last week I did a support show with Reckless love at Moho Live in Manchester. Reckless love were borrowing cabs from the main tour support who are also on the same label as them, they are also rent/given amps to use through their endorsements to Marshall and Ampeg.

We get to the gig and none of the cabs are there as the main support won't be getting their till later, a few hours go by and we end up putting our equipment on as the backline won't be there in time.

The guy from Reckless Love decides he wants to use his SVT and my Matamp GT200 into my stereo 8x10, not an issue. I hook it all up. My GT200 sends the signal post everything to a Radial JDI, this works perfectly. Reckless Love's bassist is given a venue di and plugs his bass into that and then into the SVT (Bit of a waste if you asked me) So he trying it out and it appears only half my cab is working, no signal from the SVT so I try it without the DI box and viola works, venue changes the cable between the DI box and amp still doesn't work, so they change the DI and then finally it works.

Now this took 15-20 minutes while the soundman was running around doing a million other things, we spent the night making his life easier, other bands used our gear, it all worked, we set it all up, soundman was greatful to us at the end of the night and we came away with some great contacts with 2 big touring bands.

Hope this makes sense