Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Signature Jazz Bass

NJE

While my GAS attack for a road worn jazz was at top level and I was searching everywhere for a used one this thing popped out ... priced less than its three-tone-sunburst and fiesta red counterparts, with the stacked knobs configuration and an unusual color that has a charme all of its own.
None here in Italy but I couldn't resist and took advantage of the fact that Brexit isn't yet reality. Money went to Coda Music couple of minutes ago :-D

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467978347' post='3087746']
Thanks! Also, I always check string/neck alignment before anything else. I've seen many basses with either a misaligned bridge or the neck isn't in the pocket correctly, etc. This is perfect. Small matter but it is nice to see it as it should be.
[/quote]

How is this checked ?

Oh I do it by eye! Check how the strings sit on the board running up to the nut and how they run over the pole pieces.

If it's central and one side isn't closer to the edge of the board, all good. I've seen extreme examples which leave the strings way to one side!

Edited by Musicman20

Thomann website says it has a male neck... cheeky.

"Fender Flea Sig Bass RDWRN SHP e-bass, signature, offset alder body, male neck, C-shape, road worn urethane finish, rosewood fretboard, long scale, 20 vintage frets, 2x dual pure vintage 64 J-bass single coil pickups, special neck plate with artworks by Flea, finish faded shell pink nitrocellulose lacquer, incl. deluxe gig bag"

Weight wise, it's light for a Jazz. I only ever worry about weight if I pick a bass up and think 'oh, that is weighty'....that definitely didn't happen with this.

I've never give GuitarGuitar much praise but actually, this transaction has been very smooth, and they have added additional packing to the original box with a little checklist and ticks to say everything is checked along with the Fender goody bag (not much in that). They may have even set it up and tuned it! Impressed, so praise when praise is due.

Gig bag isn't bad at all. Quite glad I've now got a light bass gig bag. Nothing of Mono quality but not bad.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467987068' post='3087862']

Gig bag isn't bad at all. Quite glad I've now got a light bass gig bag. Nothing of Mono quality but not bad.
[/quote]

I use the fender gig bags a lot. They're good enough as long as you're reasonably careful. I always load my basses in last and rest them on top of the other gear. I carry the PA and lights so it's get pretty crowded in the back, but nothing can fall on the them.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467987068' post='3087862']
Weight wise, it's light for a Jazz. I only ever worry about weight if I pick a bass up and think 'oh, that is weighty'....that definitely didn't happen with this.

[/quote]

Yeah same here really. MIM standards always seem to be heavy to me, but I had a RW P a few years back and it was fine. Anything under 9lb is alright by me :)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1467302071' post='3082697']

That makes two of us then :-)

Ooh! Collectable too!

Yes, I noticed that. Is that a result of Sterling be so rubbish at the moment?
[/quote]

As the pound is 10% less now than it was a month back against the dollar thanks to those Brexit people ruining the UK economy, I'm guessing the next batch of these guitars will be a higher price..... On a related subject, I'm thinking of sending Michael Gove or Boris any increase I could get on my Old Smoothie Stingray (should've ordered it sooner doh.....).

You guys got bargains I reckon and they're very very nice looking basses - I'm sorely tempted but not sure it'd get sufficient use from me.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1467988810' post='3087894']
Has the price of your Old Smoothie gone up?!??!
[/quote]

I haven't ordered it but will sort it out later today - got quotes though. I'll let you know how I get on.
Will be curious to see how US guitar prices are affected but I suspect everything will go up and fuel inflation.

The latest Musicman prices are unfortunately quite insane.

My favourite brand/manufacturer overall, but I feel the latest prices (I've seen Bongo 4HH basses for almost £2000!) are just stopping the sales to people who would normally splash out (although not all). I don't think I could now pay nearly £2,000 for a Musicman unless it was one of the special models in a colour I craved. I can see the reason the Smoothie and PDN's are more money, but a Ray 5 H for £1900?!??!
:(

Does anyone know why I can't quote?!

That is actually not bad for a re-issued bass with a limited run that obviously required engineering and design to manufacture again.

I really would like one of their passive models but I'm waiting to try one. Sorry, totally OT!