Why become a member? ×

What do you need to get that "killer slap" tone?

Gunsfreddy2003

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1469170929' post='3096226']
It's hard to say - it's a nice sound and I do love the Sire bass and use it a hell of a lot and it is certainly much better with the DR strings on that you recommended but it's like chalk and cheese with the jazz bass with East pre. In my head I know the sound that I am looking for and I just can't get the Sire there, it seems to lack the punch and also the top end is not as bright as it could be.
Annoying now as I'm nearly there but just missing a string!
A mate of mine has a MM 5 string so perhaps I need to bribe him to come up and let me do some sound testing!
[/quote] Strangely i have the exact opposite experience...my v7 is far more punchy and brighter than my fender jazz with j retro pre ...my jazz is alder body and i have the ash body v7 both have maple necks ..my fender has a more old school sound i guess and the v7 more modern ....is your v7 ash or alder version ?

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1469196864' post='3096543']
Did you have the Fender MM with the stock pre and then change to Sadowsky? If so, I am keen to know what the Sadowsky offered in terms of tone?
[/quote]
It was that long ago I couldn't tell you. I think I followed the crowd on that one a bit- lots of talk of the stock pre not being great. I was watching a lot of Marlowe DK at the time- he was just breaking on YouTube and he'd done the same to his MM. The first time I played it as stock I thought "Yup, that's the sound"
The last time I played it with the Sadowsky it sounded great too- it helped it was drop D at the time!
I bought the Sadowsky at a time when the £ was strong against the $ so it was worth the punt.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1469141278' post='3096145']
re Wayne Braithwaite- heard him on Jonathan Butler's stuff in the late 80s.
[/quote]

He had a terrific CV, he was up there with Marcus at that time.
15 pages of recordings over at Discogs. :blink:
[url="https://www.discogs.com/artist/193769-Wayne-Brathwaite?page=1"]https://www.discogs....athwaite?page=1[/url]

Nice tone on this Stanley Jordan track.
[media]http://youtu.be/JMf5QHbuYxA[/media]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1465639498' post='3069820']
Cool clips - to my ears the live tone is infinitely better than the studio tone!
Does anyone know what compressor he uses live?
[/quote]

He used to use an Empirical Labs Distressor- not sure if that is still the case. Pretty transparent by all accounts but as Garry said- he works it hard once he starts laying in!!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1469133568' post='3096097']
Update on this - bought an EBS HD350 and that paired with the SWR cabs and the 74 jazz with East pre-amp has absolutely nailed that tone and I love it. However, there is one big problem, I don't play 4 string live at all anymore so as much as the tone is great at home its not going to keep me happy when I gig. Interestingly I do have a Sire Marcus Miller and it sounds nothing like I want it to and compared to the Jazz it's really lacking.
So the big question is what is there in 5 string that is going to sound like the vintage jazz with the East pre-amp? Is a Fender Marcus Miller going to be the best bet or should I be thinking Xotic or Atelier Z? I have got to get that tone but in a 5 string variant - so close to the Holy Grail of tone now!!!
[/quote]

I've got a 5st Sei with an East in it...absolutely nails MM... altho I'm looking for a different take on that sound.
I prefer to use RW boards for a more woody sound.
Doesn't hurt Jerry B tho... he was using Atelier with maple, I believe.

What sort of gig was it? I have become vaguely interested in this aspect of bass thrashing of late and just wondered if all the woodshedding had led to financial reward for anyone on here.
Mind you at my age I rather doubt I have the look that most bands "doing" slap style stuff eould be looking for, although I did do some dep work for a rather splendind Glam Disco band last year.
They were somewhat disappointed when I said up front that I didnt slap or tap, so probably no bass solos would work better than me making a horses ass of myself! Funnily enough, just hitting the groove was more than acceptable & I got asked back. One reason for me asking the orioginal question.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1469133568' post='3096097']
Update on this - bought an EBS HD350 and that paired with the SWR cabs and the 74 jazz with East pre-amp has absolutely nailed that tone and I love it. However, there is one big problem, I don't play 4 string live at all anymore so as much as the tone is great at home its not going to keep me happy when I gig. Interestingly I do have a Sire Marcus Miller and it sounds nothing like I want it to and compared to the Jazz it's really lacking.
So the big question is what is there in 5 string that is going to sound like the vintage jazz with the East pre-amp? Is a Fender Marcus Miller going to be the best bet or should I be thinking Xotic or Atelier Z? I have got to get that tone but in a 5 string variant - so close to the Holy Grail of tone now!!!
[/quote]

You don't need to spend two and a half grand on a bass to achieve the Marcus tone. Spend half that on an ash/maple Carvin JB5! I own an SB5000 (modelled after Marcus' Jazz in ash/maple with black pickguard) and its lush!

http://youtu.be/ov5v7uOf_j0

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1469651913' post='3100129']
What sort of gig was it? I have become vaguely interested in this aspect of bass thrashing of late and just wondered if all the woodshedding had led to financial reward for anyone on here.
Mind you at my age I rather doubt I have the look that most bands "doing" slap style stuff eould be looking for, although I did do some dep work for a rather splendind Glam Disco band last year.
They were somewhat disappointed when I said up front that I didnt slap or tap, so probably no bass solos would work better than me making a horses ass of myself! Funnily enough, just hitting the groove was more than acceptable & I got asked back. One reason for me asking the orioginal question.
[/quote]

I don't feel there is a gig for it, tbh... I think you need to be able to cover it, but nobody is playing a song 100% slap, IMO.
And if you do... you have to work very hard to make it work, in terms of carrying the song.

For me, I have it for a fill and not much else... If I use it more, then it will drive the song, but I wouldn't say the style is intergral, so much. It depends who is asking and why, IMO. far better effect is to have it jump out and be noticed.

Most songs of the top of my head..that MUST have the part played slap would be RHCP type songs which for me totally defeats the object of trying to be funky. It is more of a riff than a feel.

You could do a Chic set and hardly touch slap.. that Bernard Edwards knew what he was doing :lol:
having said that, I think Barnes is great and I love a lot of his slap fills... BUT they make a feature out of it, the gig is fingerstyle for the best part.. Hardly surprisngly.. :lol:.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1469213271' post='3096770']
Just out of curiosity, do any of you guys actually make a living playing slap & nothing but?
[/quote]

How many times do you hear a song with slap bass on the radio ?

I had to learn Marcus's Frankenstein for an exam at uni. That was 2 years ago, and I've not slapped a bass since.

I've only done one gig where I've had to slap, that was a New Year's Eve thing where they played that awful car wash song.

I think a lot is down to technique.

Stanley Clarke uses an Alembic.

Marcus a jazz bass with stainless steel strings.Does he sound any different using his new bass and Dunlop strings than with his fender and DR strings ?

Victor Wooten a Fodera with nickel strings.

so different basses and strings, the common factor is they have amazing technique.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1469792126' post='3101065']
I think a lot is down to technique.

Stanley Clarke uses an Alembic.

Marcus a jazz bass with stainless steel strings.Does he sound any different using his new bass and Dunlop strings than with his fender and DR strings ?

Victor Wooten a Fodera with nickel strings.

so different basses and strings, the common factor is they have amazing technique.
[/quote]I just don't buy this " it's all in there fingers thing". If thats the case all the brilliant bassists in the world would be playing the same bass.Of course they have there own style.but Individual tone is down to electronics. I think there is alot of confusion between how a certain artist plays, and/or the tone they get. Marcus Miller might sound like Marcus on a Hofner or a Ricky because of his style,and the way he plays. but he's not going to have that sound

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1469920690' post='3102076']
I just don't buy this " it's all in there fingers thing". If thats the case all the brilliant bassists in the world would be playing the same bass.Of course they have there own style.but Individual tone is down to electronics. I think there is alot of confusion between how a certain artist plays, and/or the tone they get. Marcus Miller might sound like Marcus on a Hofner or a Ricky because of his style,and the way he plays. but he's not going to have that sound
[/quote]

Playing the same bass, but all sounding different. Doesn't that mean that a lot of a musicians sound is indeed in the fingers ? Otherwise everyone who plays a Fender Jazz bass through an SWR amp would all would sound like Marcus Miller, but they don't. Next time you're with another bassist, give hi your bass and have him play it, see if he sounds like you.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1469922790' post='3102089']

Playing the same bass, but all sounding different. Doesn't that mean that a lot of a musicians sound is indeed in the fingers ? Otherwise everyone who plays a Fender Jazz bass through an SWR amp would all would sound like Marcus Miller, but they don't. Next time you're with another bassist, give hi your bass and have him play it, see if he sounds like you.
[/quote]no my point is they sound different because of there tone. Of course it's an amalgamation of the 2. But those 2 combined are there sound.I'm talking about a specific tone and electronic bass choices in preamp bass etc.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1469922790' post='3102089']

[/quote]

Lots of people do sound like Marcus Miller when playing a Fender Jazz in that style. An example is the guy who plays on tracks the Anthony Jackson doesn't on the Lee Ritenour project Overtime - there are other examples of players as well.

IMHO you need an HH Stingray to get the ultimate slap sound - the outer H coils cop the Marcus sound - the neck H the Louis Johnson and Bernard Edwards fingerstyle, and both Hs, the Louis Johnson scooped slap sound.

http://youtu.be/kmsmtF9wMjc

http://youtu.be/gQjSt-L677c

Edited by drTStingray

I actually really like the song Car Wash and have done for many years!

If you play a diso/funk set then the reality is that you are going to be using a lot of this technique hence the quest for the best tone (to my ears anyway) for that style.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1469791577' post='3101060']
How many times do you hear a song with slap bass on the radio ?

I had to learn Marcus's Frankenstein for an exam at uni. That was 2 years ago, and I've not slapped a bass since.

I've only done one gig where I've had to slap, that was a New Year's Eve thing where they played that awful car wash song.
[/quote]

Could not agree more!

I just don't buy this " it's all in there fingers thing". If thats the case all the brilliant bassists in the world would be playing the same bass.Of course they have there own style.but Individual tone is down to electronics. I think there is alot of confusion between how a certain artist plays, and/or the tone they get. Marcus Miller might sound like Marcus on a Hofner or a Ricky because of his style,and the way he plays. but he's not going to have that sound
[/quote]

We have both of these in our set - Never Too Much is so hard to get the feel that Marcus does but I give it my best! It's strange that it is a tune that seems to always go down so well, I was worried when we put it in that it was not well known enough.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1469806284' post='3101237']
If you're doing "Never Too Much" or "Somebody Else's Guy" you need the technique under your fingers. You also need a great mix out front
[/quote]

That is a tone to die for - yes very much like Marcus, thanks for posting those, I have been really enjoying listening to them.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1469926609' post='3102099']
Lots of people do sound like Marcus Miller when playing a Fender Jazz in that style. An example is the guy who plays on tracks the Anthony Jackson doesn't on the Lee Ritenour project Overtime - there are other examples of players as well.

IMHO you need an HH Stingray to get the ultimate slap sound - the outer H coils cop the Marcus sound - the neck H the Louis Johnson and Bernard Edwards fingerstyle, and both Hs, the Louis Johnson scooped slap sound.

[media]http://youtu.be/kmsmtF9wMjc[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/gQjSt-L677c[/media]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm sort of with you on this. When people talk about songs that feature slap playing, Flea/RHCP are one of the first names out of the hat and Flea's slap technique is absolutely dreadful!

Point is, he gets the tone he has from that awful technique and that is what makes his tone/style distinctive. So whilst players like Mark King, Marcus Miller, Les Claypool etc all have immaculate technique, it think it is 'all in the fingers' but you don't have to have amazing technique to have a distinctive slap style!

Edited by skej21

To sound 'ok' on slap is one of the easiest things to do on bass.... and some of those don't sound much good in the bread and butter styles.
To do something different slap-wise is a whole new ball game.

People shouldn't really have Flea and the 80's icons like LJ as serious slap references IMO... the whole thing has moved waaaaaay beyond all that.