Why become a member? ×

What do you need to get that "killer slap" tone?

Gunsfreddy2003

so .... from all that i get.

If you want a good slap tone, any good bass well set up, round wound strings, clear amp, the rest is down to your technique.

If you want to sound like someone else, you need a technique similar to who you are imitating and gear thats as close as, ( some gear closer that others)

Not the OP question answered next....but i like the thought......
when i play, i want people to hear me, not marcus, mark, or Vic, but if someone came at the end of the gig and said i sounded like bootsey, i wouldn't be too pissed :rolleyes:
Just be individual and use the gear you have, wack fu*& out of it with attitude and people [u]will[/u] notice you..... THIS is the "its all in you" approach ;)

Edited by funkgod

• 4 months later...

I saw the clip below on the web yesterday and watched with great interest - it's definitely Marcus playing, all the chops and technique are there but without his trusty jazz and his EBS amps it just doesn't sound like Marcus at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd1jXrx9_88

I believe that technique in your fingers but your tone comes from the gear that you use - this clip completely reinforces my view on this.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1465701804' post='3070289']
All you need is more practice time. Tone is in your fingers .

Blue
[/quote]

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1469920690' post='3102076']
I just don't buy this " it's all in there fingers thing". If thats the case all the brilliant bassists in the world would be playing the same bass.Of course they have there own style.but Individual tone is down to electronics. I think there is alot of confusion between how a certain artist plays, and/or the tone they get. Marcus Miller might sound like Marcus on a Hofner or a Ricky because of his style,and the way he plays. but he's not going to have that sound
[/quote]

Phew I am not alone Thank You!! :-)