Why become a member? ×

Building John Deacons Bass

Hobbayne

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1464966180' post='3064238']
Impressive work.

The end result was great, just needs a proper 60's tort guard. :)
[/quote]

+1

Cool vid though, shows that even a humble P bass requires a fair bit of work!

(Nobody mention the decal.... :ph34r:)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1464966180' post='3064238']
The end result was great, just needs a proper 60's tort guard. :)
[/quote]

Or a Spitfire guard. :P Great attention to detail though. I'd love to have the time, inclination, equipment and sheer skill to do something like that. OK, I've got everything apart from the equipment and the sheer skill... ;)

That is some amount of work going into that bass. I love the look of a stripped P bass.

A small bit of Deacon related P bass.

Phil Harris, once of Harris Hire, got a call asking if he had a stripped P bass for hire as Queen needed one for the shoot of Queen`s The Miracle. He had one he had bought 25 years before that had a crap hand painted red finish on it. They stripped off the paint, didn`t bother to lacquer it and gave it them.

The bass became the most hired P bass and according to Phil, "It`s simply an astounding bass. Hit the low E and it vibrates like a rampant rabbit!"

Incidentally, the article mentions that the P bass he played on Bohemian had been smashed to bits.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1464979497' post='3064421']
Don't! You know what happened last time ...
[/quote]

Shush, if we don't highlight the fitting of an illicit decal it can continue to be viewed as a fantastic build job and the world won't come to an end :rolleyes:

I do wonder that if the builder was subsequently employed by Fender Custom Shop off the strength of this build video, would the bass then become a genuine Fender custom shop bass?

I was about to share the link of my own JD build in the Build Diaries forum, but I seem to have somehow lost all the important images. I may have deleted them :(

If I can I'll find some pictures I'll edit the post and upload.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1465043151' post='3064896']
I wish they'd do a deacon signature/tribute ��
[/quote]Actually I don't think JD would let them use his name, he seems to be a very diffident chap. However, it would be rather cool and would probably sell quite well compared to other signature basses FMIC have churned out.

Edited by ezbass