Why become a member? ×

Black, Vintage White, Mint or Tort....

CamdenRob

So with such trivial and lighthearted issues in the news today as rich people not paying any tax in order to be even richer, and a woman being attacked by a mad axeman... I have turned my attention this evening to something entirely more serious.

This is my new (to me) MIJ 66 Reissue Jazz

So, is it to be Black?

Vintage (considerably less cream than I thought it would be) White?

Mint?

Or even... god forbid... the original Tort?

Unfortunately the light is a bit crap at the moment due to the fact it is absolutely pissing it down in London right now... so the photos aren't great.

Still... your assistance is appreciated.

Mint. Proper tort would be good, but that's expensive. Black is a bit 'meh' with rosewood and the white is too similar to the body colour. Mint, mint, mint. Did I say 'mint'? I think I said 'mint'. Mint. A cream guard would also work. If you had one.

Under no circumstances fit a pearl guard of any sort - they are illegal and I WILL report you.

Edited by discreet

OK... So after unscrewing the original tort it turns out my options are...

1) Original Tort
2) Get the hacksaw out

All three new ones are a couple of mm too big heading towards the control plate... It's not a lot, but enough that it doesn't sit flush against the metal.

Could I sand them maybe?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1460748196' post='3028529']
If you mean the shallow 'V' that lines up against the bell plate, you could carefully file to shape...
[/quote]

Yeah it's that bit... All the screw holes line up, it's just the v is slightly to long.

What sort of file do I need? I'm rubbish at man stuff...

Below is my mim jazz, which came with the white guard, I immediately swapped out for the black, but two years down the line, the maple has darkened a bit, and I've just swapped back to the white, it's a different vibe but I like both, so am no help to you whatsoever. Lovely bass you have there though.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1460748663' post='3028542']

Take a plate with you, they'll see you right.

And have a beer in the fridge for after for when you tell the Mrs how hard it was.
[/quote]

Mrs C is far more practical with things like this than I am... I might ask her to do it and then tell you guys I did it myself so I don't lose the man points....

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1460748948' post='3028546']

Mrs C is far more practical with things like this than I am... I might ask her to do it and then tell you guys I did it myself so I don't lose the man points....
[/quote]

...she owns the 6 string Wal too eh?