Why become a member? ×

"Is your musical equipment item still available"

Guest MoJo

PayPal is the scammers best friend. You literally don't have to pay for anything anymore if you pay by PayPal. Didn't receive it/Not as desrcribed/damaged... you name it. And all the onus is on the seller to prove they did receive it/it was as described/it wasn't damaged, which of course is impossible, so they get their money back.

Insist on cash on collection then see what the buyer says!

I sold a bass recently where the buyer paid by Paypal,despite living only 19 miles away, we arranged a meet fairly locally, I got the buyer to message me his reg via Ebay then Mrs2611 covertly filmed the handover with with the guys reg clearly captured.

I used to use my local online free ad site a lot for selling stuff that was no longer wanted, stuff like my son's clothes that no longer fit him etc, and also sold a few basses on as well. Recently had an ad up for my fender strat, but every reply was from a scammer telling me they were buying it for their child/cousin/cat. I would then amend the ad with the scammers email address and a note to other scammers that they're wasting their time with me. Seems to work.

Edited by Grassie

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1460487108' post='3026202']
But then I suppose there's no guarantee with cash either, unless you check every note.
[/quote]

That's very true. I bought a bass from a guy on here 2 years ago. I paid cash that I got over the counter from Natwest. Two days after I'd bought it the guy contacted me to say one of the notes was a fake. It had been picked up when he paid it into his bank.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1460484163' post='3026143']
If people pay via PayPal when I've said cash on collection, I refund it and ask them for cash. I lose 20p, but hey.
[/quote]

That's what I do. People think if they pay via PayPal you then have to send the goods. Er... no you don't. It's annoying that they obviously haven't read your listing properly, or have just plain decided to ignore it as collection isn't convenient for them. Arse! Feck!

My then soon to be (but now ex) wife and I had a very similar mail about 9 years ago when she tried to sell a spare wedding dress (she bought two for some reason).

When we sent a polite reply saying we didn't think it sounded genuine and we would be withdrawing it from sale, we go no reply but started getting tons of spam (every few mins) to the point we had to close her email account.

I did have fun ripping up and binning the dress years later though.....Probably could have bought a new bass if I'd sold it, but was worth it to release some anger.....

I've sold a fair few things through gumtree.
I save the texts.
Get the same number texting me with different names.

Always the same though, they follow a script.

Never ask about a bass or a guitar, always ask if my musical instrument is still for sale..

Gumtree always advise never to reply to an email different to the one used to contact you.

Is that the same for ebay as well. ?
I nearly always pay with Paypal for ebay items but i've never bought or sold via Gumtree.
I've sold things on ebay and been paid with Paypal without issue.
Maybe i live a sheltered life or i'm a bit niave but I had no idea Paypal was so risky for a seller.
Few lessons learned for me here guys !!!

Dave