Why become a member? ×

An opportunity ... Ampeg SVT - Classic

andy67

Whilst in Edinburgh city centre yesterday, I visited Duncanson's pawn shop. They always have a great window display of guitars and related tech. I noticed they had an ampeg classic on display reduced from £1250 to £841, it is in pristine condition but too pricey however, I went inside and found the matching cab there too. The lady on sales spoke to me about it for a while and then dropped the bombshell or opportunity ...

AMPEG SVT CLASSIC AND MATCHING 8x10e cab together for £841 😱

Thought I'd pass it on so, here's the link to shop.

http://www.duncansonedwards.co.uk/pawnbroking.html

Good Lord... I wish you hadn't divulged this information. It's even worth the schlep up north. Thinkofyourherniathinkofyourherniathinkofyourherniathinkofyourherniathinkofyourhernia... keep repeating and move slowly away from the thread. I'm sure a nice Barefaced cab would be better for me, honestly!! :blink:

A bargain for a Scot with a Scrotum of Steel! :o

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459673703' post='3018466']
Good Lord... I wish you hadn't divulged this information. It's even worth the schlep up north. Thinkofyourherniathinkofyourherniathinkofyourherniathinkofyourherniathinkofyourhernia... keep repeating and move slowly away from the thread. I'm sure a nice Barefaced cab would be better for me, honestly!! :blink:

A bargain for a Scot with a Scrotum of Steel! :o
[/quote]

Lol aye my scrot has definitely reduced in size and fortitude in last few years. Good bargain for someone 😎

Edited by andy67

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1459679166' post='3018516']
Hmmm, Folkestone to Edingburgh... Quite a way for a bass chat relay of an 8x10! Why are all the good deals up North?!
[/quote]

I suspect you could chat with them to pack it and you could organise a courier to collect?

Just got back from a few days in edinburgh. Checked this out while I was there. Didn't have chance to try it but it looks in excellent condition. If I hadn't been travelling by train I could have been tempted. Tried to get them to sell me the head on its own but they weren't having it :-(

It sounds like a bargain... but.
Looking around SVT heads can be picked up for around £800 and cabs are simply not selling even at crazy prices because of their size and weight.
The price is good but not the bargain it seems at first.
Its crazy but in this light weight digital age these old school classic amp simply don't sell. :-(

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1460103038' post='3022524']
Knowing that shop a little, they're not in the habit of pricing things low. Often they'll put something in the window at a wildly optimistic price and only revise it downwards if it's been there for a while without shifting. I don't know if that's what has happened with this one.
[/quote]

However it's happened, someone gonna get a tremendous bargain there.

I reckon we'll start seeing more and more of this type of thing. For sure, there'll always be players who prefer the sound of large, heavy rigs, but given the difficulty they present logistically and the ever growing availability of small, light and loud gear, personally, I think they're a dying breed of bass amp, certainly for the weekend warriors anyway.....

Let the retort and use of the word 'heft' begin! :D

EDIT: About 5 years ago I was offered an SVT and a matching 8x10 for a grand (friend of mine is in a large touring band and had recently changed sponsors). Thought about it just to put it in my living room!

Edited by LewisK1975

I suspect the stars have to align to sell a rig like that quickly, because at any given time the number of peeps actively looking for one, I'd venture, is normally zero locally. Peeps might be tempted by a low pricetag, which I suppose is where we are.

A classic rig of that nature has uncompromised sound, so studios and touring bands seem likely punters, or someone who cares about uncompromised sound over practicality. This is from someone who plays in a local band with a 1960s Hammond and Leslie, where we take front doors off to get it in and out for rehearsals and gigs - but we figure it's worth it, and it sounds fabulous, plus provides no end of misadventures and don't even mention stairs !

Bona fide sound generally has a weight penalty, I have learned!

And maybe one has to be a bit 'not like the other children' to think it's worth the hastle to do it for the love of it - but it usually is IMO.

Go for it neilp !

LD

Edited by luckydog

[quote name='andy67' timestamp='1460154145' post='3023237']
Every bass player has to own an SVT Classic and 810e cab! Industry standard and apprenticeship requirements!!
[/quote]

I agree, there's nothing like standing in front of a fridge on stage - the sound and fury are truly incredible, but...

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1460122814' post='3022816']
Desperately trying to think of a reason not to!
[/quote]

Transport and storage issues, basically. If these can be properly addressed, go for it.

I should've made that statement more clear in that, every bass player should own - at least for a a day or two! lol

Doesn't take long to realise how amazing they are but as you say, weight, storage and transport are a nightmare.

But WOW 😱

Edited by andy67

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1460109828' post='3022631']
I'm delivering a boat to Scotland this weekend, coming home with an empty estate car and a very full wallet. Detour to Edinburgh is very tempting!
[/quote]

Let us know how you got on.

[QUOTE]Doesn't take long to realise how amazing they are but as you say, weight, storage and transport are a nightmare. [/QUOTE]An SVT rig is not just for Christmas..... ;)
And it can't be worse than our Hammond/Leslie.....but we adapt and love it like a pet I suppose! And it does sound fabulous......

LD

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1459679166' post='3018516']
Hmmm, Folkestone to Edingburgh... Quite a way for a bass chat relay of an 8x10! Why are all the good deals up North?!
[/quote]

New Romney to Edinburgh, not much better right?!