Why become a member? ×

Hearing loss

Beedster

I know a guitarist who (about 15 years ago) successfully sued Andrew Lloyd Webber's Really Useful Group because of hearing damage caused by the band on one of his west end shows.

Also, a few years ago, the BBC was looking at earplugs for members of its various Orchestras because of hearing damage (and I suppose, the possibility of being sued).

I 'like' the way he's trying to sue the ROH. Surely it's the brass players who are to blame ;) . Orchestras are loud beasts based purely on the numbers involved and someone has to sit next to the brass section. He should've taken preventative steps (earplugs) to lessen the chance of damage, just like lots of us already do. At least that's the argument the defence team will make. This overly litigious society we find ourselves in annoys me greatly.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1459503620' post='3017128']
The ROH as the employer has a duty of care. Simple really.
[/quote]

[i][color=#404040][font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]"At the time of his injury, Goldscheider was provided with hearing protection capable of reducing the noise by up to 28 decibels, but his lawyers claim this was insufficient. They say he was not given enough training in how to use it and protect himself, and that the noise levels should not have been so dangerously high."[/size][/font][/color][/i]

"[i][color=#404040][font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]They say he was not given enough training in how to use it and protect himself"[/font][/color][/i]

Put on head or in ears. Done. This whole suing culture can suck a fat one. This is the reason peanut packets say, "warning, contains nuts".

I've definitely got one ear stronger than the other these days. It's what you get from standing next to a drummer.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459504693' post='3017142']
Put on head or in ears. Done. This whole suing culture can suck a fat one. This is the reason peanut packets say, "warning, contains nuts".
[/quote]

Mega pedant alert: peanuts are not nuts. [runs for cover]

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1459539076' post='3017590']
Mega pedant alert: peanuts are not nuts. [runs for cover]
[/quote]

... which is why the packets have the warning, if they could, indeed, contain nuts as [i]well [/i]as peanuts..? Sounds very sensible to me. :mellow:

137db with -28db earplugs in means that he's still being subjected to 109db which is still way above the threshold for hearing damage especially for extended periods of time.

So i agree -28db earplugs were insufficient in this case if he's being subjected to those noise levels for extended rehearsal periods

Edited by Chrismanbass

While I agree that an employer, in this case the Royal Opera company, has a duty of care to it's employees, you do also have to look out for yourself.

I've never played in or with an orchestra, but I've heard more than my fair share, and played in ensembles with brass, and they can be extremely loud.

Guest Jecklin

I go to many concerts in the proms series each year and always go right at the front t on the right to get best view and sound on the bass section.

I always wear ear plugs due to my tinnitus and on several occasions have been knocked for six by the brass. It's not funny. I have seen rows of players infront whincing.

A lot of touring orchestras now have surround ear guards for the rows of players infront of the brass.they look like a head rest, but they block the sound from behind the players head.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1459544141' post='3017648']
... which is why the packets have the warning, if they could, indeed, contain nuts as [i]well [/i]as peanuts..? Sounds very sensible to me. :mellow:
[/quote]
A girl at work was selling cupcakes. I bought one & she said "that one contains nuts. I'm allergic to nuts, so if you're planning on kissing me".
I replied with "I didn't know you was a lesbian".
Good job she's got a sense of humour as she's also a manager.