Why become a member? ×

Looking for a new bass - not a replacement

mfisher91

As per title, I'm on the look out for a new bass. One day this week I'm planning on a trip to bass direct, but I need some advice first (I know I'll get good advice from them too). Currently, I have a '99 Fender Precision and I love it. I find that I can get a large variety of sounds out of it and it suits me down to the ground. However, I've just came into a wad of cash (long story) and I'm on the look out for something new to play with. I've had the Fender for 10 years now and previously nothing I've played has kept up with it. But I realised I was only trying 'main stream' basses - other Fenders, Rick's, Musicmans, etc - hence the trip to bass direct. I've had a fretless before and enjoyed playing it but it didn't get the use, so I'm not going there again haha. I'm looking for something thats going to mean I can take both basses to a gig and find different times to use each, I don't want a replacement. I've been looking at Dingwalls and have fallen in love, but I want to get some opinions on other basses I should try whilst there.

Price range ~£2000

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by mfisher91

Mmmm, sounds like fender is where you're at tbh. Questions about what musical taste come into the equation .you may even want to get an original from the '70s or something.or a collectors piece . Telecasters are great for low end . No treble at all tho. Or a mustang if you like short scale .
Over to other basschatters ....

Everyone will give you different advice, as you can see in the previous posts. I'd say, if you have a good budget, take a trip to a shop that stocks not only the mainstream basses, but other things as well. I guess that Bass Direct is a good place for that, and maybe The Gallery? Then try and pick up and try as many different basses as you can, take your time. You can get some really high end basses within your budget, especially if you go for a second hand bass, and if you will go that route, these should hold their value and you might re-sell them without losing anything.

I went to Bass Direct with a strict idea in my mind of the bass I wanted (Dingwall). I played several different basses from Dingwall to Spector to Roscoe to Ken Smith to Mike Lull and walked away with a make I had not even looked at before (Roscoe). Go to Bass Direct and perhaps The Gallery and try them all. Then decide on what suits you best. We all know what we like, only you know what you will like.

You got your Precision base covered, now, to find something nice for £2000 that will give you a different option is pretty easy. Just try whatever they have and that you like and that sounds different than your Precision and that costs £2000, and that will solve your problem pretty quickly. :-)

No, I'm not really joking. The Precision bass has a very distinctive voice, and it's not that many basses that nails exactly that. However, there are so many other voices that the Precision doesn't nail, and for £2000 you will get a very good instrument that will do different tricks than the Precision.

I would look for something with two pickups and with a preamp. That will give you complete control and will allow you a ton of different voices. I would strongly suggest you go with a 5-stringer, because that low B will come in extremely valuable in a lot of situations, and will definitely give you another aspect that the 4-string Precision isn't nailing.

Whether you choose something like Status or Warwick on the "modern" end to Music Man, Fender, Mike Lull or Sadowsky on the more "traditional" end is totally down to what you like and what feels best to you right there and then. I would still recommend you get something with variation possibilities, since it will give you more playroom.

It's an incredibly fortunate and enviable situation you are in. Enjoy it to the fullest extent!! :-)

Thanks all :). Been on the bass direct website again this morning and found at least 5 basses I want to try out (all 5 strings - I'd already decided on that), PRS, Dingwall, Mayones and a LGW and I'm sure once I get there I will find even more I hadn't considered.

Going up tomorrow morning, so I'll let you know if I come back with anything nice :P

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1459419766' post='3016305']
Well, if you like P basses, a Jazz might be a way to branch out. In the £2k range you should also be looking at Overwater J styles if you ask me.
[/quote]

I've got a beautiful Overwater Custom Jazz in the "For Sale" section of this site. Exactly as Trevor R says and with a slightly bigger neck profile than a standard jazz. It's also £300 cheaper than the 2 (used & lower spec'd) Jazz basses currently advertised on the Overwater official site.

http://newbass.myshopify.com/collections/pre-owned-basses

Edited by steviebee74

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1459431868' post='3016520']
Definitely check out Mayones,they are great instruments.
I like mine much more than the Roscoe I used to own.

If you end up buying that beautiful Mayones Comodous they have I will be so so jealous.

It's a great shop,you will have a great day.
Enjoy
[/quote]

That's exactly what I came home with! I tried out about 6 basses overall, narrowed it down to a Rocoe and that, but there was no comparison for me really!

Haven't had chance to take any yet - had to go straight back to work :mellow: . Concentration is slipping haha. It had exactly the tone I was after, and it is stupidly nice to play. Apparently it'll be pretty unique too - the grains in the wood won't be the same as another. Good thing is that I have a gig tonight. Bad thing? Once there I realised I needed a new tuner, strap, strap locks and stand xD

Here's some pictures from the website.

Edited by mfisher91

[quote name='mfisher91' timestamp='1459512943' post='3017284']

That's exactly what I came home with! I tried out about 6 basses overall, narrowed it down to a Rocoe and that, but there was no comparison for me really!
[/quote]
You bastard !! :) lol
I'm so jealous,that bass is just beautiful,excellent choice sir.
I've been drooling over that for a while but just couldn't afford it,I bet it is sublime to play.
My mayones is only a "basic" one but it is fantastic,maybe even the best bass I've ever owned.
Enjoy your new bass.
I'll just sit here turning green.
:)