Why become a member? ×

Fiddle player steaming drunk at gig

cameltoe

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1459258080' post='3014821']
...Then one night had two pints before quite a big gig that was going out live on radio, started using the F word, and then made some rather inopportune comments, especially given the demographic of the audience in question. And all on live radio!
[/quote]

Oh God, I just live for those moments. As long as I'm not personally involved, obviously. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459257574' post='3014816']

A swear word?? :o ...Please keep us updated, Holby City is really boring at the moment. :D Seriously though, good luck.
[/quote]

Yes, quite possibly the worst swear word.

Yep that one!

Still waiting on a reply. He will have something to say for sure.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1459257591' post='3014817']

To me it's the above, not the drinking, that's the bigger problem. He has evident ego/control/narcissism issues, of which thinking he can both criticise others for lack of professionalism whilst lacking that very professionalism himself is only one of no doubt many symptoms.

This weekend's drinking is to be honest a good opportunity to get rid of an ongoing problem that was probably going to get worse.
[/quote]

This is exactly how I feel Chris. Nail>head.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1459259280' post='3014839']
Yes, quite possibly the worst swear word. Yep that one!
[/quote]

Surely not?? You don't mean... (whisper it)... 'Belgium??'

I do apologise, the profanity filter seems to be out of action... :blink:

Personally , I would change the set which requires no fiddle if you can`t replace him. If you go to Italy , and he messes that up, that could be your one big chance gone. Would rather have a mediocre player who performs adequetly than a liability

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1459259600' post='3014848']
Personally , I would change the set which requires no fiddle if you can`t replace him. If you go to Italy , and he messes that up, that could be your one big chance gone. Would rather have a mediocre player who performs adequetly than a liability
[/quote]

+1. In fact, having just listened to some of the songs on the website - which are rather good by the way - I couldn't help thinking that the fiddle parts would sound better played on a whistle a-les Pogues?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459257091' post='3014809']

It's the fiddle player who should be walking. I wouldn't ask him to leave, I'd grind him into a smooth paste and flush him down the toilet. Is that a bit harsh? Probably. :D Anyway, he's [i]got [/i]to go - being in a band should be fun and it doesn't matter how good a player someone is on a good day, it's how good they are on a bad day that counts, and he very obviously is failing that test. So he should go. Easy for me to say as I don't have to find another fiddle player, but you won't be a happy band until he's gone. It's not just the drunken playing, there's all the other stuff as well. He'll keep on doing what he does, he's a deluded alcoholic. Get rid.
[/quote]
Well said ;)
He's obviously highly strung . Makes a change from the drummer I guess .
At my friends 4oth, he got drunk . We played paranoid like s.o.d . There's me smiling, whilst shouting 'slow down ffs'. Obviously couldn't hear me ;) looking forward to an aggressive triangle player thread ..

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1459259600' post='3014848']
If you go to Italy , and he messes that up, that could be your one big chance gone.
[/quote]

Speaking as an ex-alcoholic and in another life a really quite terrible person, I know that a trip abroad will be seen by your fiddler as a fantastic excuse to go on a days-long bender. Away from the UK and away from any kind of restraint he will go for it, big time. I would seriously advise leaving him at home, regardless of how inconvenient it may be. You'll get a much better outcome in the long run.

If you don't sack him now, you'll sack him after the Italy debacle. I'd sack him now and do yourself and everyone else a favour.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1459255512' post='3014779']
if he's the bloke with his own wiki page...
[/quote]

Just read the wiki page.

What a tool. His home country may explain a lot of the drinking problems though...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459260060' post='3014860']
Speaking as an ex-alcoholic and in another life a really quite terrible person, I know that a trip abroad will be seen by your fiddler as a fantastic excuse to go on a days-long bender. Away from the UK and away from any kind of restraint he will go for it, big time. I would seriously advise leaving him at home, regardless of how inconvenient it may be. You'll get a much better outcome in the long run.

If you don't sack him now, you'll sack him after the Italy debacle. I'd sack him now and do yourself and everyone else a favour.
[/quote]

Discreet's got a very good point - I know how the alcoholic me would have looked at it.

He needs help and making allowances isn't going to help you, the band or him.

Sounds like a nightmare.

One thing that's a problem is that, by the sounds of it, he either owns or administers your site + page. Before giving him the Spanish Archer's I'd make sure that he no longer has access to those!

I speak as a long-time IT jockey, who in a previous job was asked more than once to revoke user accounts while said user was in with HR while getting the boot for disciplinary reasons... <_<

His 'condition' is probably long term so there's nothing u can do about it.
Get rid of him.
I'm sure u can find another fiddle player who at the very least is a nice person and who can play a few of the right notes without all the grief.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1459253143' post='3014740']There were several songs we just couldn't do as he has to lead on them, so we just cut them out. It really was one of those moments where you hope the ground opens up and swallows you.[/quote]

Tell him they were his "Swan Songs"? <_<

edit: As a stopgap I'd be looking to get a guitarist (assuming you have more than one) to learn the fiddle parts, ala something akin to the Glen Campbell thread.

Edited by Big_Stu