Why become a member? ×

Wanting to form my own band

kevvo66

Gumtree and JoinMyBand have worked for me recently.

Lots of time wasters on both but I'd say that unless you get into a pro circuit there will always be people who want to be in a band but aren't really up for the work.

Good luck finding the right people, don't feel you have to settle for the first people who come along.

Unfortunately there's plenty of time wasters in all the corners of the internet. And that's because it's simply too easy to place or respond to an ad on those sites.

Before all these join my band type web sites, if you wanted to be in a band, you had to make the journey into town and visit your local music shop (or hip record shop if they did band ads) scour the ads board and write down the contact details from any ad that looked interesting. Then you actually had to phone them up and talk to the person who placed the ad. Alternatively you could spend an hour going through the ads in the classified section of Melody Maker

If you were actually looking for band members then putting an ad together and getting it up on the notice boards or paying for it to be in the music press was another level of commitment.

Edited by BigRedX

I've had some success with join my band recently too, but you're right, it's a pain filtering out all the time wasters. You could try your local rehearsal studio if you have one? Plenty of ads on the noticeboard in ours with people looking for musicians.

My latest project found me through Bandmix...and in fact, in the tangential side project, the drummer originally found me from Join My Band years ago.

*painkillers and sentence structure don't mix.

Edited by paul h

The biggest killer of start-ups is not having everyone available at the same time.

For example, you post your ad looking for a guitarist, drummer and singer. The same day you get two or three guitarists respond saying they're interested and you say "wow, that's great! I'll be in touch when we've got a drummer!".

Two weeks pass and you finally get hold of a drummer and by then the guitarists have moved on, bored, and you've been turning down enquiries from other guitarists because you already had a couple lined up. Which means that you need to give new enquirants a couple of weeks to learn the songs.

So then the drummer also needs a couple of weeks to get up to speed with the songs during which time the guitarists that may have decided to wait for you suddenly remember that they won't be available on the day that you've all agreed on for the first jam which puts the whole thing off for another week.

So it's a month since you've posted the ad with no movement. That's what kills start-up bands. The trick is to get lucky and to be able to recruit the whole band within a few days.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1457426013' post='2998269']
The biggest killer of start-ups is not having everyone available at the same time.

For example, you post your ad looking for a guitarist, drummer and singer. The same day you get two or three guitarists respond saying they're interested and you say "wow, that's great! I'll be in touch when we've got a drummer!".

Two weeks pass and you finally get hold of a drummer and by then the guitarists have moved on, bored, and you've been turning down enquiries from other guitarists because you already had a couple lined up. Which means that you need to give new enquirants a couple of weeks to learn the songs.

So then the drummer also needs a couple of weeks to get up to speed with the songs during which time the guitarists that may have decided to wait for you suddenly remember that they won't be available on the day that you've all agreed on for the first jam which puts the whole thing off for another week.

So it's a month since you've posted the ad with no movement. That's what kills start-up bands. The trick is to get lucky and to be able to recruit the whole band within a few days.
[/quote]

This is very true... I've tried to mitigate this by advertising for just one person at a time. I always try and get the drummer in first.

There also Find A Musician

https://www.find-a-musician.com

As with the other comments there are all sorts on here. Bandmix and JMB seem to have the most activity.

Good luck with your search, I'm in a similar position myself...meeting up with a guitarist on Wednesday to see if we can get something going....maybe this time...maybe

For an originals band I'd be looking to find a songwriting partner first, so probably a singer or perhaps a guitarist. IME it's a lot easier to recruit other musicians if you have a definite musical direction and a bunch of songs already written.

For covers I would want to join an existing band that needed a bass player.

Edited by BigRedX

There's nothing more frustrating than starting a band from scratch.

Its partly why i've been in the same band for the last 7 years , but if we folded, i'd just look for one that was established already and simply looking for bassister

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1457421190' post='2998230']
Thanks people ,i,m already in a band ,but fancy a change really I know a lot of muscians but the good ones are all spoken for and the others are like our current guiterist a bit of a dick
[/quote]
story of my life