Why become a member? ×

Warwick Alien

OutToPlayJazz

If like me you lust after a Warwick Alien, I've found a guy on YouTube who has recorded his a lot. What a sound!

Makes me more determined to get one :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArimWVbHOm4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArimWVbHOm4...feature=related[/url]

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='289704' date='Sep 23 2008, 09:57 AM']The Hellborg one is quite different & costs more than twice as much...[/quote]

I like the Alien but can't stand the Hellborg bass; apart from his Wals and original Status bass I think Jonas has pretty odd taste in how his basses look!

One thing to note is that the Alien is Korean made and the woods used are laminates as opposed to solid pieces, so compared to some acoustic basses it could be argued that it's overpriced. A Tacoma Thunderchief 5 string gives you solid woods (and an extra string) for about the same money.

I must say I'm loving my new Brook acoustic bass. I used it for the first time at a gig on Saturday and the sound was huge; beautiful big phat bass. After we'd finished our set we retreated to the green room and sat there playing our acoustics and singing 'til 2am. Great fun having an acoustic bass in the arsenal...

cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

They are the only 2 Warwicks I've ever found slightly attractive - probably because they look nothing like Warwicks. I prefer the JH one to be honest.

Its also good to see basses with thumb rests. A lack of thumb rest puts me off owning most acoustic basses. That and the fact I've never heard one that was loud enough to compete with an acoustic guitar without amplification. Kinda makes the whole idea of an acoustic bass pointless really?

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='289741' date='Sep 23 2008, 10:53 AM']Its also good to see basses with thumb rests. A lack of thumb rest puts me off owning most acoustic basses. That and the fact I've never heard one that was loud enough to compete with an acoustic guitar without amplification. Kinda makes the whole idea of an acoustic bass pointless really?[/quote]

+1

I’m thinking of selling my Takamine acoustic bass because of the lack of thumb rest, but in all honesty, I got used to having nothing to rest my thumb on after about a week and I’ve had it about a year now anyway. I just don’t think acoustic basses are for me though. I just find them a bit odd to play, or maybe that just means that I’ve not found one that’s right for me yet? Who knows…

Edited by benwhiteuk

The Alien does look good and quite unique but as already pointed out you'll probably be able to get something better spec-wise for your money.

To be honest I've never played an acoustic that I've felt comfortable on, the action seems to be really high on them and they just feel 'stiff' to me.

and also this:

[quote]That and the fact I've never heard one that was loud enough to compete with an acoustic guitar without amplification[/quote]

+1 for thumbrests too, no way I could manage without.

I've toyed with the concept of owning an Alien acoustic since they first came out (being a Warwick-nut aside!).

They are VERY expensive for a bass which is manufactured using cheap labour (I think the JH Sig model is actually made in Germany, correct me if i'm wrong). Warwick aren't too silly though and they price the Alien because they have imposed their strict quality control and designed it with a sound to match the price.

[quote name='walbassist' post='289706' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:04 AM']One thing to note is that the Alien is Korean made and the woods used are laminates as opposed to solid pieces[/quote]Whoa, didn´t know that. For that kind of money, they´d better use some solid wood.

Warwicks really are the Heidi Klum of the bass world - nicely built, but utterly unsexy and well overpriced. :)

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='289929' date='Sep 23 2008, 01:22 PM']Warwicks really are the Heidi Klum of the bass world - nicely built, but utterly unsexy and well overpriced. :)[/quote]

I'd have to disagree with you on that but fair enough :huh: They are a little overpriced though.

I could bawl at you and ask how many you've owned and tell you that you're not allowed to make such comments unless you've owned several and how dare you insult a peice of gear I own, but I'm not mentally unstable :huh:

Edited by Waldo

I must say, this new idea of having a drinks cabinet installed in the upper bout seems a great advance to me. No more faffing round with your drinks on the floor, just reach in and there it is. Just the right size for a large Scotch, to suit the sophisticated tastes of those who play Warwicks.

When I eventually get a double bass, I shall have to see about having a similar modification done. That would provide considerably more scope for storage - could probably fit a small wine rack in, in fact.

[quote name='tauzero' post='290067' date='Sep 23 2008, 04:09 PM']I must say, this new idea of having a drinks cabinet installed in the upper bout seems a great advance to me. No more faffing round with your drinks on the floor, just reach in and there it is. Just the right size for a large Scotch, to suit the sophisticated tastes of those who play Warwicks.

When I eventually get a double bass, I shall have to see about having a similar modification done. That would provide considerably more scope for storage - could probably fit a small wine rack in, in fact.[/quote]

LOL! Players would be well advised not to jump around on stage too much. Whiskey + electronics doesn't bear thinking about!

Always liked the Alien look, but never seen a real one. For the money it would be better if it had some solid wood instead of all laminate, but I guess its also a bit more durable. Not a fan of Fishman on-board electronics either, but again custom stuff is expensive.

Would love to try one....but doubt if I'd ever buy.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread I know, but has anybody got hands on with the Rockbass version of the Warwick Alien? Thomann have them at under £500 for the five string version which is really tempting me!

[quote name='JPJ' post='1072927' date='Dec 30 2010, 05:38 PM']Resurrecting an old thread I know, but has anybody got hands on with the Rockbass version of the Warwick Alien? Thomann have them at under £500 for the five string version which is really tempting me![/quote]

I have no need of one, but they are well phit.