Why become a member? ×

Warwick Alien

OutToPlayJazz

We had a standard 4 and premium 5 into work. We sent the 4 back due to a few finish issues but kept the 5 which sold really quickly. The 5 was infinitely better than the standard 4 in every respect. You get the upmarket Fishman system with the tuner built in, the Bubinga back and sides and it just felt like a better instrument. Unless it really was a Friday afternoon job I would really say get the premium over the standard. Disappointing they dont come with rockbag gigbags for the price but they do include the same folder of extra stuff which the German made Warwick's include.

IIRC the first run of Alien basses were German made, so look for an early one if they are the same price used.

I have to say I've yet to encounter an acoustic bass that will compete with even one acoustic guitar strummed moderately loud... add a second or third into the mix and forget it!

If you are getting on for the amplified tone that is a different matter. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1073693' date='Dec 31 2010, 02:08 PM']I have to say I've yet to encounter an acoustic bass that will compete with even one acoustic guitar strummed moderately loud... add a second or third into the mix and forget it!

If you are getting on for the amplified tone that is a different matter. :)[/quote]

+1

This is why I always wonder why people obssess over getting an acoustic bass when their bandmates buy acoustic guitars. Unless they're wild about the acoustic tone they'd be better off just using their electric basses as they'll need an amp anyway and would be better off putting money towards a small, portable and capable combo amp.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1073708' date='Dec 31 2010, 02:26 PM']+1

This is why I always wonder why people obssess over getting an acoustic bass when their bandmates buy acoustic guitars. Unless they're wild about the acoustic tone they'd be better off just using their electric basses as they'll need an amp anyway and would be better off putting money towards a small, portable and capable combo amp.[/quote]

Yep, that's where my head is this morning and I'm thinking PJB as I love my Bass Buddy preamp. I'm also thinking possibly of a self build small powered cab to go with the Bass Buddy. Time to get the old fretless out me thinks :)

[quote name='JPJ' post='1073739' date='Dec 31 2010, 03:07 PM']Yep, that's where my head is this morning and I'm thinking PJB as I love my Bass Buddy preamp. I'm also thinking possibly of a self build small powered cab to go with the Bass Buddy. Time to get the old fretless out me thinks :)[/quote]

Is your bass buddy rackmountable?

If so I have a cunning plan, so talk to me in the near future. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have one of the early German Built Aliens, built in 1991. No 009. Have never seen another German one in the 9 yrs I've owned mine. It's a cracking Bass & a joy to play. The neck profile is the same as the Thru neck Thumb bass I used to own. Mine has got Lakewood Electronics fitted. Used Korean ones do come up every so often on 'world wide e-bay' around the £800 mark. Not seen a Rock Bass one yet second hand. I also have a Takamine EG512, which although nice, is like comparing a Vintage Fender to a new Squire ( thats bound to up-set someone!!) :)

[quote name='Dusty' post='1103487' date='Jan 26 2011, 12:33 PM']Used Korean ones do come up every so often on 'world wide e-bay' around the £800 mark.[/quote]

And even here on BC :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=119815&hl=alien"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...15&hl=alien[/url]

This clearly falls into the, "well, he would say that wouldn't he" category, but the Veillette acoustic I had for a while (till some lucky bugger bought it) was way beyond any acoustic bass I'd ever played. I used it at a few gigs and I've never seen quite so many muso chins drop at the sight and sound of a bass. I really regret selling it, even though that's what I'm supposed to be doing.

Phil

[attachment=70073:Veillet_ABG_Front.jpg]
[attachment=70074:Veillette_ABG_Back.jpg]

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to buy a new acoustic bass. I read a lot about this warwick but every where is review of those expensive models. What can you say about this standard model ? [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Warwick-Rockbass-Alien-Standard-Acoustic-Bass/DL2"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/...oustic-Bass/DL2[/url]

The fretless 5-string deluxe alien rockbass got a good review in bass guitar magazine last year. Looking on the Thomann website they quoted a price of £540 or so shipped to the UK. Never seemed to have any in stock mind, with likely arrival dates of Jan 2011 and Feb 2011 passing. When you look now, the estimated time of arrival is June 2011. Don't know what issues they are experiencing. I believe the fretted bass is more universally available. Will hold out till the fretless becomes available......

Good way of getting into the acoustic bass I think. If you really get into it you can always save up for the non-rockbass equivalent. Mind you, that Tacoma 5-string is very appealing.

You'd like to believe that Warwick tried solid woods but didn't think there was much advantage. Who knows.......

[quote name='Dusty' post='1104683' date='Jan 27 2011, 05:38 AM']A Korean one has just turned up on flea bay in Brighton for £900.... is that yours molan ?[/quote]

No way - mine is up for a lot less than that :)

Mine is virtually 'as new' and yours for only £750

Edited by molan

• 3 years later...

I tried a Rockbass one of these. I thought it was the best sounding acoustic bass I'd tried. But, I didn't like the way it played at all. Medium high (if not high) action, and fret buzz everywhere. It may have been a single bad example, but there is no way that I would buy a bass like that.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' timestamp='1222107910' post='289427']
If like me you lust after a Warwick Alien, I've found a guy on YouTube who has recorded his a lot. What a sound!

Makes me more determined to get one B)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArimWVbHOm4&feature=related[/media]

[/quote]where is thee youtube link please mate?

[quote name='BigBeefChief' timestamp='1222163627' post='289741']
They are the only 2 Warwicks I've ever found slightly attractive - probably because they look nothing like Warwicks. I prefer the JH one to be honest.

Its also good to see basses with thumb rests. A lack of thumb rest puts me off owning most acoustic basses. That and the fact I've never heard one that was loud enough to compete with an acoustic guitar without amplification. Kinda makes the whole idea of an acoustic bass pointless really?
[/quote]

My experience - just the opposite, - couldn't get around on it because the thumb rest was always in the way - but I am exclusively a non-apologetic pick player. I also have one of the high end Alien's:

So, I had John Ingram formerly of PRS remove the thumb rest for me.

Unfortunately, after he got the thumb rest off the body, we found that they used an exacto knife to scratch and scrape the top /////////////////// like this - totally understandable, one of the best ways to make sure the glue would hold:

The solution I came up with was to shave off a very thin piece of the thumb rest and glue it back on:

Now I am a VERY happy camper!

BassHappy

Edited by BassHappy

where to start??
I feel well outta my depth with the Alien 6 fretless....Huge potential,in the right hands and some of the promoters make things look so damn smooth and easy!
This is a tough instrument to get on with imho,or am I just not up to it,I dont know....
seems a big big price for what it is...Maybe the stock stings need changing [not sure what they are?]
maybe some XLChromes flats
Are these things overtuned or something? B EADG C in standard [I presume] tuning? strings seem way too tensioned,and lifeless..Help!!
if this is what Warwick consider to be correct for 'projection',it just doesnt feel right..Should I downtune?? :unsure: